Who was the first Manchester United player bought in a transfer deal exceeding 1 million pounds?
#113250. Asked by sal786. (Mar 06 10 11:58 AM)
Garry Birtles in October 1980 for £1.25m|
The season began with United paying and receiving record club transfer fees. Ray Wilkins moved from Chelsea to Manchester for £825,000 and Jimmy Greenhoff went to Leeds United for £350,000. United came very close to winning the Championship this season, but Liverpool pipped them to the finishing line. United had to settle for second, despite only eight defeats in the league. In the FA Cup there was defeat in the third round and in the League Cup they were also knocked out in the third round.
The European dream ended early in the new season as Polish side Widzew Lodz knocked United out of the UEFA cup on the away goals rule. In October the record transfer fees were smashed again, Garry Birtles arriving from Nottingham Forest for £1.25m and Brighton and Hove Albion paid £500,000 for Andy Ritchie. Following the previous season's escapades the United fans were dreaming of another Championship, but this time United failed to reproduce any Championship winning form and finished a very disappointing 8th.
confirmed here as well, as the first million pound transfer for Manchester United:|
20 Players Who Were The First To Be Signed For £1 Million By Each Premier League Club (In Order Of Purchase)
1. Manchester City: Steve Daley, £1.438m from Wolves, September 1979
2. Arsenal: Clive Allen, £1.25m from QPR, June 1980
3. Manchester United: Garry Birtles, £1.25m from Nottingham Forest, October 1980
4. Liverpool: Peter Beardsley, £1.9m from Newcastle, July 1987
5. Everton: Tony Cottee, £2.2m from West Ham, July 1988
6. Tottenham: Paul Stewart, £1.7m from Man City, June 1988
7. Aston Villa: Tony Cascarino, £1.5m from Millwall, March 1990
8. Chelsea: Dennis Wise, £1.6m from Wimbledon, July 1990
9. Blackburn Rovers: Mike Newell, £1.1m from Everton, November 1991
10. Newcastle United: Andy Cole, £1.75m from Bristol City, March 1993
11. West Ham: Joey Beauchamp, £1m from Oxford, June 1994
12. Middlesbrough: Neil Cox, £1m from Aston Villa, July 1994
13. Bolton Wanderers: Gerry Taggart, £1.5m from Barnsley, August 1995
14. Sunderland: Alex Rae, £1m from Millwall, June 1996
15. West Brom: Kevin Kilbane, £1.25m from Preston, June 1997
16. Fulham: Paul Peschisolido, £1m from West Brom, October 1997
17. Portsmouth: Rory Allen, £1m from Tottenham, July 1999
18. Wigan: Nathan Ellington, £1.2m from Bristol Rovers, March 2002
19. Hull City: Caleb Folan, £1m from Wigan, August 2007
20. Stoke City: Leon Cort, £1.2m from Crystal Palace, January 2008
Find something useful here? Please help us spread the word about FunTrivia. Recommend this page below!