Why are there usually fires after earthquakes?
#63608. Asked by pjotr. (Mar 16 06 10:27 PM)
Ruptured gas lines. Over turned heating devices. Severed electrical lines that spark wildly.|
PREPARE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY NOW
* Have an earthquake survival kit on hand.
* All family members should know how to turn off gas, water, and electricity.
* Plan family emergency procedures, and make plans for reuniting your family.
* Know emergency telephone numbers (doctor, hospital, police, 911, etc)
* Anchor heavy objects to walls (bookcases, wall units, mirrors, cabinets, etc.)
* Never place heavy objects over beds, and keep heavy objects lower than head height of shortest member of family.
DURING AN EARTHQUAKE STAY CALM
* Inside, stand in doorway, or crouch under a desk or table, well away from windows or glass dividers.
* Outside, stand away from buildings, trees, telephones and electrical lines.
* On the road, drive away from underpasses and overpasses; stop in safe area; stay in vehicle.
AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE
* Check for injuries-provide first aid.
* Check for safety-check for gas, water, sewage breaks; check for downed power lines and shorts; turn off appropriate utilities.
* Check for building damage and potential problems during aftershocks.
* Clean up dangerous spills.
* Wear shoes
* Turn on the radio and listen for instructions from public safety agencies.
* Use telephone for emergencies, only.