Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100148 - Tue Mar 06 2001 05:01 PM Eating Disorders
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Wondering what you can do to help a person with an eating disorder?

Get your loved one professional help and allow him or her to have some control over his or her life. Most people suffering from eating disorders feel they have little or no control over their lives. They purge, using the process of vomiting as the ultimate control over food. Thus, food becomes a thing they can "control": both as to what they put into their bodies and how they will remove it.

Many times, people with eating disorders have low self-esteem; they're people pleasers who believe they are loved based on what they do and how they look. They are guilt ridden over their shameful behavior and punish themselves by taking unhealthy, risky behavior. It's a vicious cycle of feelings -- of lack of control, shame and self-punishment. If you know a person who is destroying him or herself, help this person to live a positive life by helping him or her to seek support.

- Cheryl G, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor

#100149 - Tue Mar 06 2001 10:42 PM Re: Eating Disorders
princesspatty Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Don't ask, don't tell!
Speaking from experience, I definitely agree that letting them be in control is the best thing you can do. Having an eating disorder gives me the sense that I have control, even if it is just in one part of my life. There are so many things that I feel I don't fully control in my life. I thought, hey food can be the one thing I control. Unfortunately, it ends up controlling you.
One key thing, is please don't FORCE the person with an eating disorder into getting the type of help that you believe is best for them. (Unless of course they are too sick to make their own decision). They have to get the help themselves and in their own time, reasonably speaking. I know this, I am going through it right now.

------------------
Being a Princess is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!!!!

#100150 - Wed Mar 07 2001 06:21 AM Re: Eating Disorders
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

princesspatty, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I am so very proud of you for being strong enough to fight this desease and having the courage to talk about it others. You are an amazing woman and are stronger than you think you are. Your ability to come in here and help others and to give advice is a sure sign that you have taken the proper measures to heal and also shows the beauty that you have inside by caring about others. I am deeply touched by your story and your strength. I know you are Catholic, so I'm sure that you won't mind me saying God bless. Big hugs to you princesspatty, and we are always here for you if ever need someone to talk you.

Love,
JoJo

#100151 - Wed Mar 07 2001 03:27 PM Re: Eating Disorders
PurrtyKitty Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Buffalo
Patty is totally right on that...

I used to be anorexic... mostly due to a bad family, and hurtful insults from my peers. I felt that everything was my fault, and I had no self-esteem. I always saw myself as fat, ugly, stupid... because that's all people told me. For some reason, I thought my forcing myself to be skinny, things would change, but it only made it worse.

I guess the best way to help... is to just be there for that person... and show that you care. What really helped me, was a couple very good friends, that helped me change my ways.

It's been 2 years since I'm better... and I still am underweight after all that. There are many times I still get depressed, and it's very hard for me to trust anyone, and feel like everyone hates me... But, I have improved on that in time.

People don't realize what they say to people can mean so much... That's why I always say that you should be kind to everyone, no matter what. Just by saying 1 nice thing... you can make someone's day.

#100152 - Wed Mar 07 2001 04:22 PM Re: Eating Disorders
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
Kitty - I end up feeling that people hate me too, but I then think, "If I am as awful as I think I am, would these people really be wasting all their time hating me?" It sounds silly, but I find it helps to put things back into perspective.

#100153 - Wed Mar 07 2001 04:37 PM Re: Eating Disorders
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

princesspatty, PurrtyKitty, and fay_mc, I applaud you all for wanting to help others and sharing your feelings on this issue!

I agree that you can suggest to a friend that they should seek professional counseling, and they can help by giving them names of professionals who are equipped to help your friend seek relief, and reassuring your friend how much you love them, etc. is esseential. Then let your friend make up his/her own mind about what to do. No nagging!

Language is power! We should all be careful how we express our feelings about the situation to our friends and loved ones. If we tell someone that they need "help," it may come across to him/her that we feel he/she is "weak," "unstable," "broken," or "sick." Instead, we should use the word "support."

We should all understand that each and everyone of us are unique and special in our own way. The world wouldn't be as beautiful a place if we were all the same. It's like a flower garden, each flower has it's own distinct shape, scent, color, and beauty.

Love,
JoJo

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 03-07-2001).]

#100154 - Thu May 03 2001 08:22 AM Re: Eating Disorders
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

ANTIDEPRESSANTS MAY HELP FIGHT ANOREXIA
Antidepressant drugs such as Prozac may help anorexics maintain healthy body weight, according to researchers at the University of Pittsburgh. The medical scientists think Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) can stabilize the brain's supply of serotonin, a chemical linked with mood and appetite. As a result, it may help fight anorexia nervosa, a persistent and dangerous disorder that may ultimately be fatal if left untreated. The researchers caution that for the drugs to work, patients must first get to a healthy body weight. "If they are malnourished, their serotonin system may be unresponsive to medication," says Dr. Walter Kaye. "Serotonin comes from tryptophan, an amino acid which can only be obtained in the diet." The researchers studied 35 anorexics who were discharged from the hospital after recovering a significant amount of their body weight. Fluoxetine was given to 16 of the patients, while the other volunteers received a harmless placebo. Ten of the 16 patients given fluoxetine did not relapse, compared to only three of the 19 volunteers on placebo. "We are very excited by the results," Kaye says. "Until now, there have been no effective drug treatments for anorexia." The researchers reported their findings in the April issue of the journal Biological Psychiatry. To learn more on how to participate in clinical trials for eating disorder treatments, call toll-free at 1-888-895-3886 or e-mail edresearch@msx.upmc.edu

Source: United Press International

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong