Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100158 - Thu Mar 08 2001 06:29 AM Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
I think most of us have experienced some kind of phobia in our lives and tend to do everything we can to avoid a partiluar object or situation because of fear, and/or anxiety. Some people fear going to the dentist, and some experience the fear of heights, etc.

Do you have a phobia?

Please share your stories and suggestions on how we can overcome our fears and anxiety.

#100159 - Thu Mar 08 2001 09:44 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Let's start this conversation off by listing all the technical terms for phobias and their meanings (please a few at a time to give everyone a chance) and then we can go through them to see if any of them apply to us and what we can do to overcome our fears.

#100160 - Thu Mar 08 2001 11:24 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Here's a couple to start off with.

Acarophobia - Fear of itching or of the insects that cause itching

Achluophobia or Lygophobia or Noctiphobia or Scotophobia - Fear of the dark

#100161 - Thu Mar 08 2001 11:46 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Acousticophobia: Fear of noise

Acrophobia: Fear of heights

Aerophobia: Fear of fresh air (cf. ancraophobia, batophobia, hypsophobia)

Agoraphobia: Fear of being in crowded, public places (cf. demophobia)

Agyrophobia: Fear of crossing streets

...next

#100162 - Thu Mar 08 2001 01:00 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia - Fear of spiders

Arsonphobia - Fear of fire

#100163 - Thu Mar 08 2001 01:54 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ailurophobia: The fear of cats.

#100164 - Thu Mar 08 2001 02:01 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
bett Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dela-where? USA
Altophobia - fear of heights
Arachnophobia - fear of spiders *yich*
Ochlophobia - fear of mob-like crowds

#100165 - Sat Mar 10 2001 12:18 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Asthenophobia - Fear of fainting or weakness

Astraphobia or Keraunophobia or Tonitrophobia - Fear of thunder and/or lightning

Astrophobia- Fear of stars and celestial space

Ataxophobia or Ataxiophobia - Fear of disorder or untidiness

Atelophobia - Fear of imperfection

Athazagoraphobia - Fear of being forgotten or ignored or forgetting

#100166 - Fri Mar 09 2001 09:14 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Here's a good one...

Logizomechanophobia - Fear of computers

#100167 - Sun Mar 11 2001 10:21 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks for helping out everyone. Before we continue listing all the names of phobias, I would like to admit that I have a major cockroach phobia. I don't know what it is called or how to deal with it, but I am scared to death of them. If I see one at night, I find it difficult to sleep for the rest of night. Does anyone have this phobia or know how to deal with it?

#100168 - Sun Mar 11 2001 02:57 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Acrophobia, here. I need four arms and hands to get on a ladder and paint my house. I clean my wood-burning stove chimney by standing on the roof and am not too uncomfortable with that because of the broad roof surface I'm standing on, but, oh brother! get me in one of those hotel glass elevators that go up 40 stories or so and watch me sweat!

#100169 - Sun Mar 11 2001 03:16 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
val9000 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Louisville Kentucky USA
I wouldn't call my dislike of cockroaches a phobia... I'm not afraid of the... they just make my skin crawl...
Now spiders, on the other hand...
And bees... let's not forget them...
those two insects give me the willies!

#100170 - Sun Mar 11 2001 04:48 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
JoJo, are cockroaches pretty common in your part of the country? I know that there are some (VERY LUCKY, I MIGHT ADD!!!) places in the US that don't ever see cockroaches. I don't know why I was thinking that the California area was one of those fortunate places. But, I guess the palm trees do make a difference, don't they? High concentration of water in the trees = roaches.

I don't know if I have a phobia about them, but I'm with Val. My skin crawls to think of them.... EWWWWWWW

#100171 - Sun Mar 11 2001 06:14 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Linda, I am not sure how common they are in California, but they are here. They are not as large as the ones I have seen in MS. LA, TX, or FL though. We do have a lot of spiders here which I think helps to keep them away. Before I moved into the place where I am living now, I rented a house with a pool and I saw more of them there. I have only seen about two or three cockroaches since I have lived here but I tell you, I am scared to death of them. It's weird when you compare their size to a human's and they don't bite or sting but yet I won't get anywhere close to them to kill them. I use bug spray or throw things at it, instead of just stepping on it. Now that is a real ewwwww for me. lol

One time I was in the south and I was reading in my hotel room and I looked up and there was a huge cockroach on the ceiling and it looked like it had wings. Now I don't know if some cockroaches have wings or not but it looked like this one did. I just sat there motionless for at least 10 minutes scared to death that it would just leap at me. I finally made myself get out of bed, got dressed and went to the hotel desk and demanded that they give me a new room.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 03-11-2001).]

#100172 - Sun Mar 11 2001 06:32 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
JoJo, I don't know if I should tell you this or not! But, ummmm, yes, some cockroaches DO have wings. And, they can fly at you quite quickly, too! I've had one or two do that right after I've sprayed them. (Dang it! Do you know that I'm shuttering at this very moment as I write this?! Just the remembrance of those things flying straight at me gives me the chills.)

I've tried just about every bug spray I can find. The only thing that I've found that truly works is a well-aimed shoe! And, even then, you have to hit 'em several times to kill them completely. Most of the time, they're just stunned.

Have you ever had one crawl across you while you're sleeping? Let me tell you, you will sleep no more that night!

#100173 - Mon Mar 12 2001 05:48 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Oh Linda, something similar happened to me. After a night on the town, I came home and went right to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night with a dead cockroach in my bed!!!!! I must have rolled over and smashed the little demon. EWWWWWWWW again. I know that cockroaches love beer so he must have been quite attracted to me at the time. I scooped the bugger out and put my sheets in the washer and slept on the couch for the rest of the night. Or should I say that I tried to go back to sleep. Talk about the willy's!!!! And now you tell me that they do have wings! Now I have goose bumps on my body.

Years ago in Las Vegas, I was sound asleep and I heard a crash and thought that someone broke into my apartment. I was scared motionless for a few minutes. I kept listening and I didn't hear another sound so I finally managed to get out of bed and take a look around. When I made it to the kitchen, I saw a spoon that had been on the kitchen table and there it was on the floor with a cockroach. This cockroach must have been on steroids, because it must have pushed the spoon off the table onto the floor.

Oh lord, it is almost 3:00 AM, I hope I don't have nightmares now.

#100174 - Mon Mar 12 2001 11:57 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Come for a visit to Wonderful Wyoming (or Colorado). I have lived in WY for almost 8 years and previously lived in CO for 22 years and have never had a roach in my homes. Contrast that with my 4-year stint in Florida, where the roaches vote on whether to eat you now or take you home first, the difference is obvious.
However, the Florida native will only reluctantly admit of roaches in the Sunshine State and call them "Palmetto Bugs."
The roaches weren't nearly as disgusting to look at as was the horseshoe crab. Find a picture of that prehistoric gob of ugly and view it only at your own risk.
Horseshoecrabophobia.

#100175 - Tue Mar 13 2001 07:57 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

fjohn, horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) are indeed ugly, and I wouldn't want to get anywhere near their pointy tails. ouch! Can you believe that the medical profession uses an extract from the horseshoe crab's blue, copper-based blood called lysate to test the purity of medicines? Certain properties of the shell have also been used to speed blood clotting and to make absorbable sutures.

#100176 - Sat Mar 17 2001 08:41 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
IndianPainter87 Offline
Participant

Loc: I'm BoyScout2
One of my friends went to take SAT's in a Scranton school which has been condemned since the 1800s. He said that the teacher told them to excuse the 'Cockroach Hotel', and stepped on a cockroach gliding across the floor. I don't like cockroaches, but I don't hate them either.

One of my phobias, is blood and anything dealing with the body. One kid threw up on the bus yesterday (and was proud of it I may add . . .) I thought I was going to follow in unison. Basically, anything that has to do with the body. I get queasy even talking about it . . . drugs, blood, urine, throw up, and on. I once even ran out of health class. The strange thing is that I'm good at first aid . . . God forbid I'm alone with someone and they get injured.

#100177 - Sun Mar 18 2001 12:08 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
That does it Linda, I will NOT be popping down to Texas... I think that I might go to Kansas instead provided they don't have cockroaches there........ Yuck!

I am phobic about flying insects, even flying ants. I know that it is stupid, well that is what phobias are, you know that the fear is not rational but there is nothing you can do about it, it is overwhelming.

------------------
From over the pond....

#100178 - Sat Mar 17 2001 01:06 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Actually there are many things that one can do to takle their phobias. There are support groups and there also many wonderful programs for people who have severe phobias. I know that some airlines provide mock flights for those who are scared of flying and I saw a therapist help a woman who was scared of riding in elevators the other night on television. I think this lady had to ride in an elevater about 200+ plus times to be cured, but it worked for her. For those of us who have a phobia but don't feel that it is severe enough to get counceling, it is nice to talk about them with others, like we are doing here, to know that we are not alone is a comforting feeling.

I never thought of myself as having a germ phobia but when I went out to breakfast this morning, as I was leaving, the man in front of me had a horrible cold and blew his nose just before he put his hands on the door bar to leave. I took a step back and then pushed the door open with my elbow as not to get his germs.

#100179 - Sat Mar 17 2001 01:30 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Perhaps that didn't come over as I intended, I realise that there are programmes to helping people to overcome phobias, what I meant was that there was little or nothing one could do to prevent a phobia developing... being told or even knowing that one's fear is stupid and irrational is no help, it won't stop a person developing a phobia. I mean phobia, not a strong dislike, I am talking irrational intense fear only. There are things which make me uncomfortable, there are things that literally terrify me - flying insects, I know they won't hurt me and I also know that I could swat them with a rolled up newspaper and they will die.... IF I could remain in the same room as them in order to bash them!

Conditioning is not an option with me, I would rather just avoid them so no one suggest that I try to overcome the phobia, it doesn't ruin my life so not a problem.

------------------
From over the pond....

[This message has been edited by sue943 (edited 03-17-2001).]

#100180 - Sat Mar 17 2001 01:45 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I agree Sue, and I loved your comment. IF I could remain in the same room as them in order to bash them!" That is exactly how I feel about roaches. I am more than happy to allow someone else to do the honors of killing them for me.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 03-17-2001).]

#100181 - Tue Mar 27 2001 06:53 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Bringing this up for ruthg

#100182 - Wed Mar 28 2001 10:56 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
ruthg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
Thanks JoJo, it is good to know that there are people here who will admit to their phobias,my problem with spiders(a cold shiver just went up & down my spine) doesn't really interfere with my day to day routines so I have no intention at all of trying to overcome it,I will stick to just running away whenever I see one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong