Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100183 - Wed Mar 28 2001 11:18 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California†USA†
Hi ruthg, as you can see you are not alone. I never thought I was scared of heights until I went to the top of the Empire State Building. I will never forget how weak my knees felt. I had to sit down REAL fast, I almost got sick to my stomach.

#100184 - Wed Mar 28 2001 02:09 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
ruthg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
This posting is on behalf of my pal Stewpot,whose phobias include:- travelling on the motorway( freeway or interstate,I think),dentists ( is actually Stewpot who helped me get over my fear of the dentist), heights and also flying insects.These are just a few of Stewpot's phobias.I could go on but it would take too long to list them all.

#100185 - Wed Apr 11 2001 11:36 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I think many people suffer from the fear of destists. How many of you grip the sides of the chair before the destist even gets started?

#100186 - Thu Apr 12 2001 01:07 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Loc: Splashing around in the puddle...
Yeah JoJo til my knuckles turn white. They have a special chair for me with restraints and laughing gas... ever since that time I gripped the front of Dr. Deweys shirt.

#100187 - Thu Apr 12 2001 04:33 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

lol! anniedt, did you really grip the front of Dr. Deweys shirt? How funny.

#100188 - Thu Apr 12 2001 06:32 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

I am not afraid of spiders (I actually like them), insects, heights or dentists but I am terribly afraid of being alone with a man I don't know well enough to trust. This means having any repairs done in my home is a real problem. My son has to stay home and even with him there I feel I have to go out. When I'm out I ring my son up to see if the men have gone. Because I live in State housing I have little choice about who does any work on the place.

This fear started as a result of my ex-husband who used to bash me while accusing me of having affairs with anyone who came to the house. Strangely the phobia became even stronger after my ex left. My doctor wants me to have counselling as she says this affects my life too much. I even chose to work in the library industry because it female dominated and the few men that are doing the job tend to be rather mild.

#100189 - Sat Apr 14 2001 07:52 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
ReanaZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lost in the bread.
I've always been claustrophobic, mainly in large crowds. I'd never know what phobia that was until now. My friends always called me "socaily claustrophobic" bacuse I refuse to go to movies on the first day, because there are to many people, and I beg teacher to sit me on the edge of the room, so that at least there is one side with out people. Now I think I might be ochlophobic. I'm not exactly sure why Iím afraid being in a large group of people.... as long as they are severl yards away Iím fine, but if Iím in the middle of them....

#100190 - Sat Apr 14 2001 09:00 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

I can deal with roadents, (In fact I find most of them to be cute and cuddly.) Reptiles don't phase me a bit. But I cannot deal with Spiders, Bees, Wasps, and Hornets! Spiders are just too creepy, and I think my fear of stinging/biteing insects comes from the time my sister had a bad allergic reaction to a bee sting. The only way you can find out if your are allergic to bee stings is when one bites you. I'm not inclined to find out the hard way.

You can rock a cradle, but you can't rock a casbah!

#100191 - Sat Apr 14 2001 09:29 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
ReanaZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lost in the bread.
I'm allergic to bee stings (Not keel over and die alleric, but I swell up) and I found out the hard way. When I was six, my mom was on her honeymoon, I was staying with my dad and my sister and I were playing behind the barn. We were picking dandilions, and I guess I must of invaded some bee-boundry because the next thing I knew I had been stung four times on the head. The next day, I had swollen up so much I could not see for several days. When my mom finally got back from her honeymoon, I remember her yelling at my dad for about an hour for not taking me to the doctor. I guess you could say I'm a bit bee-phobic myself, because every time I see one, I run about a mile in the other direction!

#100192 - Sun Apr 15 2001 11:47 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
kidrock* Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
I have severe Apiphobia which is a fear of bees and so does my mom so maybe it got passed on because i have no reason to be afraid of them seeing as i have never been stung(by anything,that's probably because i run away anytime i see something that stings).....hmmm....

#100193 - Tue Jun 19 2001 12:58 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Conquer your fear of the Dentist!
Dental anxiety or fear of the dentist is a major stumbling block for many people. It usually prevents otherwise intelligent, rational people from optimizing and maintaining their dental health.

The most important step to overcoming dental anxiety is finding a good dentist. A good dentist is one who:

• is patient
  • is highly competent
  • endeavors to make each meeting pain free
  • genuinely cares about you
  • has the ability to nurture you through past traumas

Ask friends and family for dentists they recommend. Feel free to ask any potential dentist about his practice, practice philosophy, and the steps he or she takes to make dentistry pain free and anxiety free. Remember, do not be intimidated. You are the consumer and it is the dentist who should be selling you on his or her service.

Source: Dr. Eric Spieler

#100194 - Wed Jun 20 2001 08:03 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
justawful Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Sykesville Maryland†USA†††
Has anyone ever heard of this one? I feel as though I am the only one that has it, as I know of no one else. I am afraid of the telephone. Believe me, I know this sounds wierd. This has progressed over a period of years. I never answer it at home or at work. I never even listen to the answering machine. If my wife didn't insist upon it I wouldn't even own a phone. I own a small business, but I employ people to answer the phone, and I rarely take any calls. I'd love to know if this is a phobia that has been identified. Just hearing it ring starts me to sweating. Geesh!

#100195 - Wed Jun 20 2001 11:19 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

justawful, you will be happy to know that you are not alone and there is a phobia called Telephonophobia (fear of the telephone). From what I understand, there are quite a few people who have this phobia.

Some of the experts say that when dealing with and overcoming a phobia using a cognitive-behavioural approach usually involves the following steps:

* "Unlearn" your anxious response to the feared situation.
* Change anxious self-talk to positive self-talk.
* "Reframe" incorrect beliefs.
* Learn to recognise and label feelings appropriately.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I sincerely believe that one must take one step at a time and approach your fears head-on. Maybe you could start to overcome your fears by first just touching the telephone every now and then. Then you could buld up to where you can just hold the receiver for a few seconds at a time. Become more familiar with the telephone as an object. I would start out this way, a very simple approach. Ask your wife to be with you in the beginning stages for comfort and support and see how you do. I hope this helps you. Please let us know of your progress, and I wish you the best of luck. And remember... YOU CAN DO IT!

#100196 - Wed Jun 20 2001 11:57 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
justawful Offline
Mainstay

Thanx for the info JoJo. I'm not so far gone yet that I NEVER speak on the phone, I just rarely do. The immediacy of the ringing phone unnerves me to no end. Everyone I know stops whatever they are doing to answer a ringing phone.(Even SEX!?) It's unbelievable. Folks will stop in midsentence. Salespeople and cahiers will stop helping you (no matter how long you have waited in line) and leap to answer a ringing phone. It's as though people are almost controlled by it. And now with cell phones. Jeez. People can't be away from the phone long enough to drive their car safely? Oops. Sorry for the tirade but I'm basically right, No? Telephonophobia. That's a good name for it. Thanks again.

#100197 - Wed Jun 20 2001 12:24 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

justawful, I completely agree with you. People do tend to react to phone calls as always being an urgent situation. It's like people cannot do anything anymore without a cell phone by their side. I would like to have one for emmergency purposes but I don't think I could ever walk around the grocery store or go to the pool with one. There was a guy whose cell phone kept going off in the movie theater. Oh my, I really had to bite my tongue not to say anything rude to him. The theaters put up a message on the big screen asking everyone to turn their beepers and cell phones off. Why can't they do without for two hours. Sorry, I just had to vent. I think telephone solititors have put me off quite a bit over the past few years. They always seem to call around dinner time. I always dread answering the phone at that time. I guess I might have a telephone solititors phobia, if there is such a thing.

Forgive me justawful for jumping to another phobia for a minute, but for all you cockroach haters out there, have you seen the new Orkin Pest Control commercial on television? You know the one where it looks like a cockroach is actually crawling up your TV screen? Oh my, I get the creeps just thinking about that one. Does anyone else feel that way? Do you know which commercial I am talking about?

#100198 - Wed Jun 20 2001 12:48 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Loc: Splashing around in the puddle...
quote:
Telephonophobia.
I like it Jim so true too. What did these folks do before cell phones??? They are so misused. It seems the person on the phone would rather be somewhere else than where they are and if it involves me, I'm insulted.
Here's what I did with my fear of the dentist. I made an appointment to talk with him. I explained my fear and the reasons for it. Then I assured him that if I felt even the least bit uncomfortable in his chair, I would look for someone else to give my money to. It was by no means a threat. I just needed to make sure he knows where I stand. It worked very well too. In my chart there is a note about my fear and instructions to make me feel at ease in the office. They've been great, and it seems more dentists are going beyond the standard to accomodate their patients.

#100199 - Wed Jun 20 2001 01:04 PM Re: Dealing with phobias
justawful Offline
Mainstay

I'll tell ya one thing about that cockroach commercial JoJo. It was designed to get a response, and has it EVER! I don't like the commercial and I don't know anyone that does, but I'm sure the advertiser considers it a huge success. Just the fact that people talk about it makes it successful.

Annie, luckily I have no fear of the dentist, but I'm scared to death to talk to him on the phone! LOL.

#100200 - Thu Jun 21 2001 07:42 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

JoJo, Claustrophobia somewhat. Here is an example; I don't like sliding down those closed in tubes at the water parks with my kids. I'm always afraid that there is some fat kid stuck somewhere in the tube. I'm fine with the open slides however

#100201 - Thu Jun 21 2001 08:55 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I have never been in or seen those tubes before as I have never been to a water park. Are they small enough that someone could actually become stuck in one? If so, that would scare me too. I really don't know how to overcome this phobia. Maybe you could do some research or talk to one of the employees there, and ask if anyone has ever been stuck inside one. If not, maybe that will help. Maybe some of our other members might be able to help with this. Do you feel the same way in other closed areas?

#100202 - Thu Jun 21 2001 09:13 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Quote: "Do you feel the same way in other closed areas?" Nope, not really. Elevators, caves (so long as there not really tight or closed in too much), etc., have no real problems.
BTW JoJo, the water tubes are fairly round but completely dark. I'm sure no one has been stuck, but why do they have a lifeguard watching at the end to make sure the people come out.....

#100203 - Thu Jun 28 2001 10:19 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yesterday, I cam over a huge fear of mine. Jumping into water. I'm not afraid of swimming pools and I enjoy swimming so much. (As a matter of fact that's what I'm doing today.) When we moved (which I forgot to tell everyone - that is why my new bathroom has a lock on the outside like my signature! LOL) there was an inground pool with a diving board. I wouldn't even jump in the places where I knew I could jump back up.

Well, yesterday, without thinking about it, I jumped into the pool. I didn't realize it until I did it. Geez, I don't know what I was scared of! Now when I go to summer camp I can jump off the dock with no fears. My next step: The high dive.

#100204 - Thu Jun 28 2001 10:34 AM Re: Dealing with phobias
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Congratulations BoyScout! That is a great accomplishment. I have a fear of going in water that I cannot see through. I will only swim in a pool. If I can't see what is around me in a body of water, there is no way on earth that I going swimming in it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong