Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#993033 - Sat Jun 29 2013 05:51 PM Who Am I - Content Issues
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
The entry for Julia Gillard will need to be changed, as she is now a former Australian Prime Minister. If there is one for Kevin Rudd, he is no longer a former PM, but the current one. Descriptions such as these are pretty high-maintenance. Perhaps they should be changed to read something like "Became Australian prime Minister in [year]", which will always be a true fact no matter how things change in the future.

Please put corrections & comments for the Who Am I? game here.

previous thread is here: http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/Who_Am_I_Content_Issues

Edited by gtho4 (Tue Aug 27 2013 12:31 AM)

#993412 - Sun Jun 30 2013 05:14 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Tom Stoppard
Your answer: British screenwriter; playwright; ' Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead' & 'Shakespeare in Love'

There's an extra space after the first quote mark.

#997097 - Wed Jul 17 2013 09:06 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: AlonsoKing]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: AlonsoKing
Found a time dependency in today's 'Who Am I' but then I saw it was already reported a while ago:

Originally Posted By: Midget40
German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

Apparently it hasn't been fixed yet so I thought I'd report it again. The question was in today's set 15, (if that's helpful).

If this hasn't been corrected yet, could it *please* read Roman Catholic Church?
And could all entries relating to the church that is headed by the one that calls himself Pope & resides in Vatican City say *Roman* Catholic?

Thanks.

#1002999 - Tue Aug 13 2013 01:43 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tan72 Offline
Participant

Loc: NSW Australia     
Small spelling mistake. The question was 'New Zealand born former premier of Queensland' the answer should be Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen not 'Jo' (his name is short for Johannes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_Bjelke-Petersen

#1003109 - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:21 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
eyhung Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: California USA
Got Sir Jimmy Savile again today in set 30.

#1006537 - Mon Aug 26 2013 05:35 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Michael Voss - Australian former Aussie rules footballer; current coach of the Brisbane Lions

He has just been sacked from the Brisbane coaching position. Since coaches come and go quite regularly, it might be better to describe him as a former player, Brownlow medal winner, three-time premiership captain, six-time All Australian team member, etc.

#1006823 - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:19 AM Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

Appointment of new editor

After a long innings, JMElston has retired as editor of W.A.I. Thank you to JMElston!

His replacement is looney_tunes, who has agreed to take over the reins and keep the database upto date (and correct errors posted in this thread). She can also add-in new entries.

Please make her welcome!

#1006825 - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:47 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Well done to JME for his hard work. Good luck, L_T - you're a glutton for punishment.

#1006828 - Tue Aug 27 2013 03:39 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Ah well, if I'm going to play the game (and I will, because it counts as a team game), I might as well try to make the entries accurate. smile I have already addressed my own latest entry about an inaccurate description, and am in the process of checking all recent posted queries to ensure they have been addressed.

Someone has asked about the criteria applied for adding a person's initials to the answer as a clue. I can now see that there is a list kept of names with very low rates of correct response, and I assume that it would be the basis for adding initials. If you see an entry with initials included that you think is not appropriate, please post here and I will investigate it.

Also, please note that this thread only pertains to the entries for each person, not to the combinations that appear. The mechanics of the game need to be addressed in the Feedback Forum.

Edited by looney_tunes (Tue Aug 27 2013 12:54 PM)

#1006861 - Tue Aug 27 2013 05:08 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Ooh, well done LT! smile

Perhaps there should be a new entry in WAI...

Looney-Tunes USA-born Aussie-resident mathematical word cruncher extraordinaire.

#1006927 - Tue Aug 27 2013 07:07 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Congrats and good luck, Looney-Tunes!

#1006958 - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:28 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: gtho4]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

JMElston,

Thank you for your years of hard work maintaining and updating the database.

looney_tunes, congratulations on taking over the monster that Who Am I? is.

#1006961 - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:38 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Good luck, LT.

Thanks to JME for the several years of maintenance.

#1006962 - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:45 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Many thanks to JME for his hard work. Welcome LT

#1007109 - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:55 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Could "JM Elston, Editor Emeritus of the Who Am I Fun Trivia Game" be added to the database? I believe there are, or used to be, some editors acknowleged in the game.

Best of experiences hoped for LT.

#1007145 - Wed Aug 28 2013 04:32 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I have been updating some entries, and would greatly appreciate it if anyone who spots a time-dependent definition (currently, etc.) could post the name of the person here. I need to know the name to see the corresponding definition, so cannot just find and replace all such entries. I would like to make them all factual descriptions that won't change over time, but don't know which ones are currently time-dependent.

#1007240 - Wed Aug 28 2013 10:33 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
Congratulations L_T, don't who anything I wouldn't who.

#1007361 - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:45 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Thank you for taking on the task, looney_tunes.

I honestly had no idea who Jimmy Savile was before seeing his name in this thread. Now that I know, I would suggest retaining his name in Who Am I is appropriate, just add a comment to the end of his description, something like "noted pedophile" or "posthumously revealed to be a sexual predator of children". The second one is a bit lengthy for the descriptions in Who Am I, but you get the idea.

#1007388 - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:17 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I have removed him, as his name is associated with distressing personal events for many people, who have registered their concern. Since he is not a major international figure (I'm not about to remove Hitler because of World War II), there is little loss from removing him.

#1009204 - Fri Sep 06 2013 11:18 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
bisaacs90 Offline
Participant

Loc: Illinois USA
Set 1 of today's Who am I has two correct answers for one of the questions. In a hurry, I picked (admittedly) the worse of the two answers, but it isn't wrong.

"Draco" is also the name of a fictional wizard created by J.K. Rowling.

#1009315 - Fri Sep 06 2013 03:45 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I'm planning to remove fictional characters from the list, as this game is supposed to be about real people. One of the reasons for trying to have more precise descriptions, rather than a number of currently generic descriptions that would fit many people (former football player, for example) is to avoid precisely this problem.

#1010010 - Tue Sep 10 2013 08:35 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
The author and former SAS soldier is Andy McNab, with only one 'b' at the end, not two as shown in the set I played today.

#1010238 - Wed Sep 11 2013 11:05 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

In today's set 24:

8. Name by which Mary Katherine Horony Cummings, Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Hollida

I'm guessing the letter Y is missing from Doc Holliday's name, along with a ?

#1010244 - Thu Sep 12 2013 12:32 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Wow, I haven't ever seen that one before! It's clearly missing "y is known" (no question mark, as this game has descriptions, not questions). Can you tell me the name that it is matched with? I cannot directly look up descriptions to fix them, so I need to know what name it goes with.

#1010260 - Thu Sep 12 2013 04:59 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
LT, she's called Big Nose Kate. grin

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Terry