Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100290 - Sun Mar 18 2001 11:57 AM I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Okay, I admit I am not Martha, nor am I a domestic goddess. I would like to start this thread by asking you to share your best Spring Cleaning Tips with us. That goes for the guys too. How do we get rid of the clutter and organize our homes and garages? What are the best way to store our tools? How do we bring Spring into our homes?

#100291 - Sun Mar 18 2001 02:28 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
My only tips are these two:

1. Don't spring clean when you're in a 'I have to" mood.. Do it when it's a "I'm motivated" mindset, the work will go easier!

2. Play music! Put something that you can sing with or dance to on the CD player. When I just cleaned the downstairs last week,I had the tango from "Addams Family Values' on and the cleaning went by so quickly!

Editor for Television Category

#100292 - Sun Mar 18 2001 02:38 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

ladymacb29, I love your tips!!!! I will turn the tunes up when I get in the mood to start my spring cleaning and sing and dance and I bet the time will go much more quickly and will be much more fun. Thank you so much for the tips.

#100293 - Sun Mar 18 2001 11:37 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
shabbychic Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: princeton in 47670
hi jojo first to get rid of the clutter if there is clothing in you closet tat you haven't worn in a year you probably won't pitch it if there are kids clothes that you have been saving for ayounger sibling pitch because they probably wore it pitch it then clean out a corner of your garage and go throughyour storage areas and don't use the probably maybe someday because it won't happen now you listen to me i am queen of the pack rats if you have childern and you have a stack of school that would restore the trees in our national make scrapbook saving a few of the best ones and a few of the bad ones so they won't get the swell head about when they were in school and any awards section this off with dividers for each years' of papers and the rest of the "stuff" put in the corner of garage the and have you yard sale what does not sell goes to goodwill big sigh of relief "gee its as hard to clean as i thought it was going to be all joking a side i never spring house clean what i do i i have made myslf a cleaning schedule 1 room at time this may be 1 room a week or two weeks depending on how much traffic you have in your house and totally tear it apart i mean move the furniture dust the baseboards and get the fur bunnies that gather on the carpet if you have a lot of carved furniture use a soft brush to dust with spray ithe brush with a little endust to get all of the dust out of the cracks use a damp cloth to wipe off the knick knacks when you clean the kitchendo just a portion of the cabinets at a time strighten the linen closet each time you put the linens away it takes just a couple of minutes this way you never have to have the "dreaded spring cleang fever"

#100294 - Sun Mar 18 2001 11:55 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
LOL! Shabbychic beat me to the punch - that's exactly what I was going to say!

My MO is to pick one room and thoroughly clean it from top to bottom. And, I absolutely CANNOT feel guilty about not tackling the next room that day. It's one room - one day. That's it. As long as that room is cleaned completely, I can relax for the rest of the day/evening - even if there IS time to do another one. I find that this makes me clean that room better and eliminates the feeling of dread in cleaning. Otherwise, it's just too daunting a task.

I like the music idea. Will do that! I have some music that would be perfect for the job, so I'll be sure to put it on next time.

(By the way, tonight's task was the bathroom. And, you should see how sparkling and clean it is right now!)

#100295 - Tue Mar 20 2001 11:51 AM Re: I'm not Martha!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Now that I'm "at home" all the time, my goal is one room a day as well. It seems to be getting off to a poor start, but maybe once I get over this new found feeling of freedom I've got I'll get into the groove of it.

#100296 - Tue Mar 20 2001 02:04 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

shabbychic, I am a pack rat also. That is one of my worst habits. It's hard for me to throw anything away. I have gotten most all of my important papers filed now, which is a good start. I bought another file cabinet that is almost as tall as I am and I didn't have any trouble filing it up. Lord help me when I decide to move it.

#100297 - Tue Mar 20 2001 03:39 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
shabbychic Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: princeton in 47670
jojo i just it was papers books and magazines to deal with but i go to yard sales goodwill etc i think that i have the greatest find of all or the greatest gadget to do this or that and when i get it home and find out that it is not what i thought it to be so i have to find to put it hence the corner in the garage so the next summer i can have yard sales so i can go out and buy more junk that i don't need to put it in a garage sale next summer ha ha great hobby it keeps me busy and i have fun doing it bye bye and God bless

#100298 - Tue Mar 20 2001 03:50 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I am the exact same way, except I have had a garage sale in years! I do lots of crafts and save anything that has potential to make a mold of, etc. I have boxes on top of boxes in my closet of things that I think I will use one day. Now clothes.... geez, I don't even know where to begin there. I keep saying that I am going to make some quilts out of some of my old clothes and I have never made a quilt in my life, although I would really like to learn one day. I think this spring cleaning project is going to last longer than I planned.

Oh yeah, you mentioned going to garage sales. Making things from trash into treasures is another one of my hobbies, and I have collected soooo many things that I have plans to redo.

#100299 - Tue Mar 20 2001 04:50 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
I really didn't want to see this thread - I'm currently in full on "the house is a pit and I really don't want to have to clean it, what do I urgently need to do instead" mode.

I have a game of Settlers 3 going, and I just need to see what the next mission is like, then I'll start cleaning - honest!

------------------
Money talks. Chocolate sings - beautifully

#100300 - Tue Mar 20 2001 05:00 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
clarabell Offline
Participant

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
You know it's my feeling that we talk ourselves out of Spring Cleaning because spring is so pretty I would much rather be outside checking out the beauty that is sudddenly becoming more apparent every day. You know trees blossoming, birds singing, flowers making their appearances all over the place. It really is nice outside.
However I do have a tip,I seem to keep years of paperwork. When in truth we only need to keep six years( for tax purposes). So I decieded to attack the old papers,I had boxes of the stuff.Went out and bought an inexspensive shreader, actually they are on sale right now for $9.89 at Target. And at night I sit down and shred away box by box, the big thing that came up for me was all the energy I had with all this old stuff. Stuff that has nothing to do with what I am doing today, or who I am to-day. I got a clear understanding that it is very freeing to get rid of OLD stuff. So I am doing myself a real favor by letting go of all this old thinking and stuff that keeps it in my life. Letting go feels great, it's a weight off my mind and leaves all this lovely space in my cabinets and file drawers. Try it with music!!!

#100301 - Tue Mar 20 2001 05:00 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
clarabell Offline
Participant

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
You know it's my feeling that we talk ourselves out of Spring Cleaning because spring is so pretty I would much rather be outside checking out the beauty that is sudddenly becoming more apparent every day. You know trees blossoming, birds singing, flowers making their appearances all over the place. It really is nice outside.
However I do have a tip,I seem to keep years of paperwork. When in truth we only need to keep six years( for tax purposes). So I decieded to attack the old papers,I had boxes of the stuff.Went out and bought an inexspensive shreader, actually they are on sale right now for $9.89 at Target. And at night I sit down and shred away box by box, the big thing that came up for me was all the energy I had with all this old stuff. Stuff that has nothing to do with what I am doing today, or who I am to-day. I got a clear understanding that it is very freeing to get rid of OLD stuff. So I am doing myself a real favor by letting go of all this old thinking and stuff that keeps it in my life. Letting go feels great, it's a weight off my mind and leaves all this lovely space in my cabinets and file drawers. Try it with music!!!

#100302 - Thu Mar 22 2001 05:01 AM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you for sharing your story and tips with us, clarabell. You put a totally different light on the subject that I never thought of. 'Out with the old and in with the new'. I like that. Letting go of certain things in our lives may be a healing process for many of us. The feeling of letting go sounds wonderful to me. Thank you for the inspiration.

While we are on the subject of spring cleaning, many of us will be storing our winter clothes, and other items that we wish to store away for awhile. Some of us might start cleaning out our closets and getting them organized. In either case, we will need boxes and storage bins. If you would like to spuce up some of your boxes to make them more appealing to the eye or to match the decor in a certain room, here's a little tip.

Covered boxes add color and storage capabilities for many household items. Consider using leftover fabric from previous sewing and craft projects, as well as scraps of wallpaper to create these multipurpose storage boxes. Place them in home offices and use them for storing business or household paperwork. In kids' rooms, place in closets and use to store lightweight toys. In pantries, boxes make colorful storage bins for food and plastic accessories. Ordinary shoe boxes and dress boxes can be transformed in literally minutes into storage boxes that are both fanciful and functional.

Additional tip: You can soak fabric in liquid starch, squeeze out and smooth the material on the box that you wish to cover and it will stay there for as long as you want. The best part is, if you change you decor, the fabric comes right off and you can replace it with a design of fabric if you wish. I have seen people who rent their apartments or homes do this techinique on walls instead of using wallpaper, to add their own personal touch to their home without the worry of losing their cleaning/damage deposit.

#100303 - Thu Mar 22 2001 08:01 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
princesspatty Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Don't ask, don't tell!
Start with the floor and work your way up!!!!

------------------
Being a Princess is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!!!!

#100304 - Wed Mar 28 2001 12:15 AM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

When you clean the windows in your home or apartment wipe one side of the window in a horizontal motion and the other side in a vertical motion. This way if you have any streaks, you will know what side the streaks are on. This tip is really handy if you are like me and clean the windows by myself and have to keep going back and forth, inside and out. lol

#100305 - Thu Mar 29 2001 03:14 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
JoJo2, your tip on washing windows is positively brilliant!
I had never heard that one before; it is so simple, yet has never occurred to me. I'm one that goes back and forth rubbing on both sides of the glass to get the streaks out. But, not anymore.

#100306 - Thu Apr 05 2001 09:16 AM Re: I'm not Martha!
Anonymous
No longer registered

So, who invented 'Spring Cleaning'? I'm with Clarabell,Spring is for the outdoors, gardening planting new things... I do my big clean in the winter months when it's too cold,wet & miserable to be outside. I start at Thanksgiving when I start sprucing up for the holidays and work my way back to the bedrooms, one room at a time!

The clutter I've accumulated over the years is unbelievable, but am making progress in clearing it. I have one closet for all my 'maybe' projects and throw something out once a month or actually do the project. One of the
best Christmas gifts I ever got was a shredder. It's
addictive. Once I start I'm looking for more & more to do.
I actually have room in my filing cabinet without having
to 'stuff' things in. It was quite a chore just organising that.

#100307 - Thu Apr 05 2001 11:19 PM Re: I'm not Martha!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

lol! fjohn, I am so glad you liked the window cleaning tip. It took me many years before I came up with that one. I can't believe what a time saver it is.

funzie, I bought a shredder also and I in the process of shredding old papers. Being a recycler, I shred my newspapers and used the shredded paper for my rabbits cage.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong