Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100362 - Sun Apr 01 2001 10:53 PM Re: Losing a pet
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Oh Silver Moonsong....I am so sad for you ...my thoughts are with you and I send you {{{{{{{big hug}}}}}}}} to try to help comfort you

#100363 - Mon Apr 02 2001 10:51 AM Re: Losing a pet
Marcie Offline
Participant

Loc: Lancaster, Ca. USA
Retrogirl, I feel your pain as well as the others that
have lost beloved pets. I have lost so many in the last
few years. They were all getting up there in age and it
was inevitable but some died because they got sick and
the medicine and vet care didn't help. We lost our big
old beloved mixed breed Heidi to breast cancer. She had
surgery to remove one row of teats and then it spread to
the other side. She almost made it to 12 yrs. Her sister Torie died of a tumor on her spleen two years previous to
that. We had a necropsy done. The vet said it was not our
fault because there was no way to tell. She seemed ok and
then dropped dead on our kitchen floor. She weighted 87 lbs. so we really heard her go down. About a year later
our cocker Cody, died with a brain tumor. We've lost 3
cats in the last 2 yrs. also. Well we weren't going to
start again, we are seniors, 67 yrs. old, but the house
is so empty without a dog. My friend bred her Pug and we
decided to take one. He is so adorable, more like a little
boy then a dog. He will be 2yrs. old on Nov. 25. Then this
same friend had a pregnant dog dumped off and she took her
in and 2 weeks later had 4 pups. We took 2, a male and a
female. They are small, 12 and 15 lbs. and smart as can
be. So here we are with new kids at our age. Lol! We
still have 5 cats plus an outside stray that I had spayed
and she is the porch kitty. Plus, I have quite a few birds.
We also have a rabbit (domestic) that we found in the middle
of the road in l995. It was a tiny baby and I just scooped
it up and brought it home and he's been with us ever since.
I also have a 20 gal. tank of fancy guppies and a bowl with
a goldfish for my grand daughter. That fish keeps growing
and will have to get a bigger bowl or tank before long.

Hope I haven't bored you all, but this is so much of my life
and I'm so happy I found this board.

#100364 - Mon Apr 02 2001 11:41 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Dearest Silver Moonsong, and all of you who have lost a pet or are in fear of losing one, my heart goes out to each and everyone one of you. I am glad that we have each other in times of such sorrow. Some people who are not pet lovers like we are, sometimes have trouble understanding the love and devotion that we have for our pets. They just don't realize that sometimes our pets are some of our best friends and we honestly consider them to be a part of our family.

Marcie, welcome to FunTrivia and to our FunTrivia family.

I'll be back later today. I just wanted to give each of you a big hug and to express how warm and wonderful each of you are for sharing and giving light, love, and support to each other in times of need.

#100365 - Mon Apr 02 2001 11:55 PM Re: Losing a pet
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Retrogirl and Marcie

I send {{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}} to you two and of course to anyone suffering the loss of a beloved pet.....

it is so painfull, my thoughts are with you all

#100366 - Mon Apr 02 2001 02:27 PM Re: Losing a pet
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Two Decembers ago, when Baby died, I found this website (http://www.petloss.com/). It proved to be a very special place for me as I went through her final days. There are some very sensitive, caring people there that were so, so supportive of me. Many of them continued to follow up with me after her death to make sure I had someone to talk to and grieve with. I've recommended it to many people who are going through the same experience.

#100367 - Mon Apr 02 2001 02:35 PM Re: Losing a pet
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
This is an excellent article - explains why the loss of a pet is so difficult for us:

Losing a Pet

#100368 - Mon Apr 02 2001 06:28 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you for the links Linda and I am terribly sorry to hear about Baby. It looks like we have a warm support group here filled with warm, sensitive, caring people, who are supportive and understanding.

#100369 - Mon Apr 02 2001 08:31 PM Re: Losing a pet
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Wow... *hugs* for everyone. I guess it's my turn to tell all about my pets...

The first pet we ever lost was the dog that my parents had had before I was born. He was old and had trouble walking, so during a Labour Day picnic, my parents let him just walk around our large front yard. Well, when it was time for dinner, we couldn't find him anywhere... We decided that maybe he knew it was time and walked into the woods...

Kodi was fine one day, then the next he had a severe infection or something and died the day after...

Then when I was on my trip in europe, our dog Kiva died. She had had cancer for years and when I left home I knew deep down that I wouldn't see her again.

Then my dog Sasha died.. He was Kiva's son and had cancer around his heart. It was hard for me because he was my dog and I'm the one who found him, not moving, in his dog house.

Then this August, Togo died. All spring/summer he had had trouble walking. They took x-rays and determined that it was arhtritis. So it became my job that summer to take him for walks. A couple times, we walked all the way to the river and he didn't seem to like the water - even Sahsa (the cleanest dog) had gone in when I brought him! Anyway, he eventually stopped eating and we took him in... We were going to go see him on a Wednesday afternoon when that morning we got a call from the recptionist who knew us syaing "I'm not supposed to be telling you this, but you might want to come right now." He was the first dog we ever had to put down.. But I know we made the right choice - he looked so tired and pathetic...

Anyway, I don't know what all of you believe but I think all of our pets are up 'there' watching over us and having a ball playing together.

Editor for Television Category

#100370 - Thu Apr 05 2001 06:49 PM Re: Losing a pet
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I'll be taking Max to the vet for the last time on Tuesday. Please keep us in your thoughts.

#100371 - Fri Apr 06 2001 01:49 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Oh Silver this must be so hard for you dear. Of course we will keep you and Max in our thoughts. I have tears running down my face as I can feel your pain. Please know that we are with you and we send you lots of love. In my heart, I feel that Max will wait to be unite with you again again one and until then he will play with the other pet angels and each time he thinks of you, he will wear a huge smile knowing that he had a beautiful life and that you were the best mom that he could have ever hoped for.

Hugs and love dear Silver,
JoJo

#100372 - Sat Apr 07 2001 02:32 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Silver, you have continued to be in my thoughts, and I send you much love and light to help you get through this extremely sad and difficult time in your life. I know it is probably too hard for you to talk about your loss at the moment, but if you happen to stop by just read this thread, please know that we are thinking of you and send you our love. Some people might not agree with me, but a few years ago I lost my precious dog Skeeter and was completely taken over by grief but I forced myself to out and adopt a new dog. The love I gave to my new dog really helped me to heal. And since I got my pet from an animal shelter it made me feel good knowing that I saved the life of animal. I think Skeeter would have been proud of me.

Love,
JoJo

#100373 - Sat Apr 07 2001 05:45 AM Re: Losing a pet
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Hey Silver

My thoughts are with you at this sad time, I to went through this a couple of years ago when I lost my dog Penny, I broke my heart for ages. I hope it helps you knowing you are in our thoughts.

here a big Hug for you, take care

#100374 - Sat Apr 14 2001 08:36 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

I know how you feel JoJo, I had a little Yorkie named Monty for 17 years. We had to have him put down one day before Christmas in 1999. I still think miss my little shadow often, and I still get depressed when I think about him. Sorry to hear of your loss.

#100375 - Sun Apr 15 2001 12:10 PM Re: Losing a pet
kidrock* Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
Right now i have tears streaming down my face just reading the posts....I don't know what to do,every night i stay up worrying and crying over when my pets will die...I try not to but i just can't elp it....I have a great dane and the average life expectancy is 8 or 9 and she's 6 right now and has bone problems,i'm only 13 years old and everyone says i'm supposed to be worry-free but i'm not and i can't,i think i'm going to need serious help when she does die if i'm this bad now...I only had 1 pet die before but i can;t talk about it....I have to go now because i can't see throuh my tears but if anyone has the heart to help or suggest something,please do....Hugs and Kisses *Chantelle

#100376 - Sun Apr 15 2001 12:24 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

Talking about it is a good thing....Maybe your parents or friends at school could talk with you a bit too dear. I understand the worry...but try not to too much ok...Love the time you have with your pets now rather than worrying about later when they may not be there.

and I think everyone is here is willing to open an ear and lend a shoulder whenever you need us to...ok...cheer up. Your pets can sense your sadness...and they by far love you too much to see you sad....smile..ok... ...

#100377 - Sun Apr 15 2001 01:30 PM Re: Losing a pet
kidrock* Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
Awww thanks eyeball that was sweet....*sobs* Eyes starting to tear up again....But i'll take your advice and try and cheer up now.... *is smiling*

#100378 - Wed Apr 18 2001 03:23 PM Re: Losing a pet
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
(I am copying this from the staff lounge just so you all know what has happened in the last week)

Got a call Saturday while I was at work. Max was not doing well. Couldn't find a vet that would be open for regular business after 5pm, and I didn't get off work until 9pm. So we made an appointment for first thing Monday morning to put him to sleep.

I got home around 9:30pm. He was lying on the floor just breathing, and not doing much else. He didn't look good at all. I was just hoping he'd make it to Monday morning.

We popped in a movie. When that was done, it was about midnight. I went to pick Max up to bring him into the bedroom. He was limp, like a rag doll. He was still breathing, though. I carried him into the bedroom and put him down on the bed hoping that might be a little more comfortable for him and he started struggling to breathe. He was gasping for each breath. We called the emergency vet (open 24 hours) and they said they would go ahead and put him to sleep for me. I knew there was nothing else to do for him. I wrapped him up in a towel and before we could get him out the door, he stopped breathing. As much as it hurts for him to be gone, I know he isn't suffering anymore, and he was wrapped up with someone who loved him when he went.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and understanding.

#100379 - Wed Apr 18 2001 05:39 PM Re: Losing a pet
splatt123 Offline
Prolific

Silver, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much he meant to you.

#100380 - Wed Apr 18 2001 08:29 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

Deepest sympathies on your loss Silver. That last ride to the vet is always the worst no matter how hard you try to brace yourself for it.

#100381 - Wed Apr 18 2001 08:31 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thats odd, I clicked on the sad face, and the smile showed up???

#100382 - Mon Apr 23 2001 10:05 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Dearest Silver, you have been on my mind and I hope you are feeling a little bit better. I understand how importand the grieving process is and how each individual must take their time and do it in their own way. I send you love, light, and warmth to try to help you through this difficult time. Big hugs to you my friend.

#100383 - Thu Apr 26 2001 08:32 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

GOD SAW YOU WERE GETTING TIRED,
AND A CURE WAS NOT TO BE,
SO HE PUT HIS ARMS AROUND YOU
AND WHISPERED, “COME TO ME.”

WITH TEARFUL EYES WE WATCHED YOU,
AND SAW YOU PASS AWAY,
ALTHOUGH WE LOVED YOU DEARLY,
WE COULD NOT MAKE YOU STAY.

A GOLDEN HEART STOPPED BEATING,
HARD WORKING HANDS AT REAT.
GOD BROKE OUR HEARTS TO PROVE US,
HE ONLY TAKES THE BEST.

#100384 - Thu Apr 26 2001 08:55 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Oh Kassy, that was lovely, I have tears rolling down my face. This Saturday I am helping a local rabbit house shelter by handling and giving love to all the homeless rabbits. Just as soon as Jackie has her little operation, I am going adopt a boyfiend for her. The operation (getting her fixed) should help her to live longer as rabbits are prone to cancer after five years.

#100385 - Fri Apr 27 2001 07:32 AM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

yeah.... it made my little sis and me cry too.....

#100386 - Sun Apr 29 2001 04:31 PM Re: Losing a pet
stewpot Offline
Participant

Loc: Glasgow
Sorry about your pet mouse i know how you must be feeling we have just lost our budgie (twix) we had her six years and it is so quiet without her

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong