Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100337 - Tue Mar 20 2001 05:53 PM Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
I just lost Chipper (named after Chipper Jones, the baseball player). Chipper was only a mouse but he was the cutest little guy and most adorable one of the three. He had tiny round ears that were so adorable. One of the other mice "Oliver" wouldn't leave Chipper's side and Stewart wouldn't come out of his house. I know they will miss him as much as I do. Rest in peace Chipper and thanks for the joy that you gave to me. I am sorry to be emotional, but I dearly love animals and it always rips me apart when I lose one. Thanks for listening.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 03-20-2001).]

#100338 - Tue Mar 20 2001 06:03 PM Re: Losing a pet
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I was very sad myself when Westin Houdini and Stumster (my hampsters) died. I think it's perfectly natural to miss something that's given you so much pleasure and happiness - be it mouse, hamster, fish, cat, dog, reptile, whatever.

Sorry to hear about Chipper, JoJo. I do understand how you feel.

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 03-20-2001).]

#100339 - Tue Mar 20 2001 06:09 PM Re: Losing a pet
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Hey Jo

My heartfelt sympathy for you...I know how it feels....I lost my dog and I have also lost three cats it is heart rending each time

My thoughts are with you

#100340 - Tue Mar 20 2001 06:14 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

oh jojo...I am so sorry. I have only lost 1 of my own animals, a cat tub tub. but 2 dogs I grew up with (my moms and my brothers) died a couple of years ago, oddly enough within a week of eachother. My heart goes out to you and your remaining pets jojo. Its hard on them too we know. Its nice that we have eachother on this board to share these moments even as sad as they are.

[This message has been edited by eyeball (edited 03-20-2001).]

#100341 - Tue Mar 20 2001 08:00 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you so very much for caring Linda, Pling, and eyeball. I thought it might seem strange to some people that I could care for a mouse, but when you care for an animal day after day, you can't help but get attached, that's how I feel any way. Each time I would go to their cage, I would say, "boys, boys, boys" and they would all come to the side of the cage to see what treat I brought for them and then they would eat out of my hand. I still have two boys left, so I can still say "boys, boys, boys".

I am sorry for the losses each of you have experienced. It never gets easier, but at least we can all be here for one another.

Big hugs to each of you.

#100342 - Tue Mar 20 2001 09:42 PM Re: Losing a pet
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Loc: Splashing around in the puddle...
JoJo hon, I'm so sorry. Big hug. The coolest cat in the whole world belonged to me 8 years ago. When she got killed I cried for a week. We get so attached. They give us unconditional love, and trust us so completely, we can't help but love them.

#100343 - Wed Mar 21 2001 10:06 AM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

JoJo, sorry to hear about Chipper

#100344 - Wed Mar 21 2001 10:18 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hugs to you annie, for your loss and your kindness. Hugs to you WD, thanks for showing your softer side. That was sweet of you.

There was a beautiful poem about losing a pet that I wanted to share will all of you but I can't seem to find it. If any of you find one, would you mind posting it for us? Thanks

#100345 - Wed Mar 21 2001 11:24 AM Re: Losing a pet
Splatt123Too Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA USA
JoJo, I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss.

------------------
Disney gave us Mickey. Florida gave us Dumbo.
Please Visit My Webpage

#100346 - Wed Mar 21 2001 11:36 AM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

Oh no JoJo, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost 'Chipper'. I know how very much you love animals, so I can imagine how you feel right now

(((hugs))) from over here
Jepsen1

------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#100347 - Wed Mar 21 2001 11:47 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Big hugs to you Splatt and Jepsen! I appreciate your words of comfort. You're right Jepsen, I am a huge animal lover. I should live on an animal farm.

#100348 - Wed Mar 21 2001 01:44 PM Re: Losing a pet
bett Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dela-where? USA
I'm so sorry about Chipper, JoJo. I know how awful it is to lose a pet, particularly when you're close to them.
{{{{JoJo}}}}

#100349 - Wed Mar 21 2001 03:03 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

{{{{bett}}}} I am doing much better today. All my other pets have to put up with me for awhile though because I keep waking them all up to see if everyone is okay.

#100350 - Wed Mar 21 2001 04:10 PM Re: Losing a pet
Fritztino Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Wauwatosa Wisconsin USA
Back again after a long hiatus and I noticed this thread. JoJo, there is a lovely childrens' book called "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney" by Judith Viorst that deals with losing a pet. My son's hamster died last month and this book brought us much comfort. (You don't have to be a kid to read it.) Losing a pet is a painful thing, and I hope you receive the kindness and comfort of those you love to help you remember, with a smile, your beloved pet.

------------------
"It's never too late...just do it!"

#100351 - Wed Mar 21 2001 04:26 PM Re: Losing a pet
shabbychic Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: princeton in 47670
i am sorry to hear bout chipper jojo i know how you feel i have a goldfish that i won a fair 3 yrs ago and there a couple of time that i thought iwas going to lose him and i cried like a baby God bless

#100352 - Wed Mar 21 2001 05:59 PM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you and big hugs to you Fritztino, and shabbychic. I agree with Linda, that is perfectly natural to miss something that's given you so much pleasure and happiness - be it mouse, hamster, fish, cat, dog, reptile, whatever. I also believe that is healthy to go through some kind of a grieving process, I thinks it validates the existance of your pets life.

My deepest sympathies go out to each of you who have suffered the loss of a pet. I think it is safe to say that most us who are pet owners get very emotionally attached to our pets, and consider them as part of the family. You may talk to them when no one else will listen. You may even share your secrets with your pets and they won't tell a soul. Some of us even sleep with our pets. Most of us look for our pets to greet us when we get home, and if they are in an aquarium or a cage we go over to greet them. It is amazing how much we depend on them for happiness without even realizing it.

Pets are also a natural way for us to unwind at the end of the day. They help us to reduce the stress in our lives and can actually affect our bodies. Studies have shown that pet owners have lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. In general, this puts those who share their lives with animals at a reduced risk for heart disease. One ten-month study that focused on general health turned up some interesting differences between pet owners and non pet owners. This study compared groups of people who had adopted cats and dogs with those people who remained petless. Researchers found that the pet owners reported fewer headaches, I know that I hardly ever have migraines any more since my rabbit has been in my life.

Unfortunately, pets do not live as long as humans do and we must face the inevitable and have to say goodbye to our dear friends who have brought so much love and happiness into our lives. They will always live on in our hearts, and the memories will be there as well. The act of saying goodbye is an important step in managing the natural and healthy feelings of grief, sorrow, and sense of loss. Our pets play such an important part of our lives and I think it is natural for us to feel that we are losing a friend... we are. I would never say that I wouldn't own another pet because the pain of losing one is so painful. I like the saying "It is better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all."

Oh before I forget, I will look for the book you recommended Fritztino, thank you.

#100353 - Wed Mar 21 2001 11:11 PM Re: Losing a pet
shuttlebunny Offline
Prolific

Loc: Iola Wisconsin USA      
Sorry to hear of your loss JoJo. If you haven't seen this before, it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it:

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When a beloved pet dies , that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our special friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who have been ills and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and look into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

author unknown

Love to you JoJo,
SB

#100354 - Thu Mar 22 2001 01:00 AM Re: Losing a pet
clarabell Offline
Participant

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Shuttlebunny, that was absolutely beautiful the tears are flowing. It's so good to support JoJO when she feels so sad, she knows she is not alone in her feelings.We have all been there.
That's one of best things I have noticed in my short time in the formus, the support you all give each other; it is very special.
Big hugs to you JoJO,I know you can tell that we all care about you and the constant cheering up you give us all. Thank You

#100355 - Thu Mar 22 2001 10:36 AM Re: Losing a pet
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Much love to you too shuttlebunny and clarabell. Rainbow Bridge was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read in my entire life. Thank you so much for sharing it with us bunny. The tears are flowing down my face. The following 'pet's prayer' isn't near as beautiful as yours but I thought I would share it with all of you.

A Pet's Prayer

Dear Lord,

Please watch over our humans, they are so weak. They have no claws or teeth, they can't run fast or fly away, neither can they burrow or build a nest in which to be safe. They smell bad, do strange things that aren't altogether intelligent, have no real ability to communicate with us, although we are able to figure out what they want. Lord, grant US the ability to watch over our humans, care for them, cheer them when they are down, make them laugh, smile, and shower them with our love. We pray that we can bring a little joy into their otherwise mundane existence... Lord...please let them know that when we insist on getting attention, its so we can check their emotional well being and boost their morale. When we pester them for different foods, toys, etc, its so they will learn to see us in ways they hadn't considered, bringing them closer and back into the fold... which they are part of but keep forgetting about. They expect us to know what they want even though sometimes they don't know what we want. Some of them really try and we know they love us but some of them are so dumb yet our love for them remains intensely unfaltering.

Lord, when we die, please make sure to send us ahead to where ever our humans are going to be, so we can pave the way for them, vouch for them and be there for them when they too die.. ....please allow us to continue proving that humans are worth the effort. You placed these humans in dominion over us, but you charged us with the task of caring for them and SHOWING them your love every day, through us. God bless these mere mortal humans, they know not that we are their guardian angels sent in love to task them so that they may grow to be part of your plan. You and Us God......we'll bring them back into the fold.....you and us.

Author Unknown

#100356 - Fri Mar 23 2001 08:09 PM Re: Losing a pet
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
*hugs* I know how you feel...

Editor for Television Category

#100357 - Sun Apr 01 2001 02:47 PM Re: Losing a pet
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
A few weeks ago I lost one of my cats. His liver failed. He was suffering, so we put him to sleep. We only had him for a week - we took him in from someone who couldn't keep him anymore. But a week was enough for him to worm his way into our hearts. It hurt, but I knew it was the best thing for him. His name was Oddball. He was the sweetest cat. He would crawl up in your lap and just purr himself to sleep.

Yesterday, I found out Max has FIV. My heart broke into a zillion little pieces. I still can't stop crying. In fact, I can't even see the keyboard through the tears. I'm so afraid right now that I'll lose the others too. I know I have to let Max go, but it hurts so much! I can't stop crying and I'm making myself sick. The other two don't show signs of FIV, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't know what to do. It's like telling the doctor to put your child to sleep.

#100358 - Sun Apr 01 2001 03:34 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

Silver Moonsong, I am so sorry that you are suffering through this illness with your pet. It is so hard to lose them. I still miss my Samson (dog), and he was put down over 15 years ago. We had him for thirteen years and no matter what dog I have had since, it's not the same. I have loved all of my pets, but he will always be my 'special boy'. The poems are beautiful by the way, and I hope they give comfort to all who need it. gammab

#100359 - Sun Apr 01 2001 06:32 PM Re: Losing a pet
Anonymous
No longer registered

{{{{{{{silver moonsong}}}}}}

I am so sorry...

#100360 - Sun Apr 01 2001 07:32 PM Re: Losing a pet
Marcie Offline
Participant

Loc: Lancaster, Ca. USA
JoJo2, I haven't met too many people who have
had mice for pets. So it's nice to meet you.
I have had a few pet mice through the years.
Aren't they the cutest? They do not have a
long life span and I hate that. The last
one we had was Minnie(not too original)and
she was a fancy mouse. Her markings were
like a Siamese cat, beige body and dark ears,
nose, feet and tail. My mother was living
with us at the time (she has since passed
away) and she took quite a shine to that
mouse. Mom was in her 80's at the time. Un-
fortunately the mouse passed on, too. I have
some very nice memories of them both. Sorry
about your little one. It's so hard to lose
something you care so much about.

#100361 - Sun Apr 01 2001 10:52 PM Re: Losing a pet
retrogirl Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: a galaxy far, far away
i am so sorry to read about all of your pet losses. i, too can sympathize. i've had 4 pets that, for various age and health reasons, i have had to have put to sleep in the last 2 years. the first was my german shepherd, candy, that i had for 13 years. she had arthritis, and hip problems, and when she couldn't walk anymore, we decided to put her down.
the second to go was my cat, peanut, about 7 months later. she had failing kidneys, and was in a lot of pain, and i didn't want her to suffer any longer.
everything was fine with my other 2 pets up until last june. my 12 year old lhasa apso just wouldn't get up one morning. she refused to move. i picked her up and tried to make her stand up, and she fell right down again. i took her to the vet, who said there wasn't much they could do for her, the dog just basically gave up. so, i said my goodbyes to her and told her she would soon be in a better place....
exactly one month later, my 17 year old cat, chip, had a stroke, and as a result, became blind. the vet said he might function just fine. and he did, for a couple of days. one morning, he started having seizures, which was extremely painful to watch. i didn't want him to suffer anymore, so my husband and i took him in that morning, and once again, made the very hard decision.
wow... i didn't mean to ramble on so much, but that was kind of a relief getting all that out of my system. thanks to anyone who may take the time to read this. and, once again, i am sorry to hear about the loss of all of your beloved pets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong