Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1004018 - Sat Aug 17 2013 08:57 AM Quizzes of the Hour
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Music/Pick-an-Artist-15956.html is the current QOTH.

The Author joined FT in 2000, wrote one quiz and has never returned. It even has one of the titles spelled wrongly. There is no II at all.

Can I please suggest that is removed from the list of those eligible for QOTH?

#1004021 - Sat Aug 17 2013 09:04 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Send a correction note if there's a problem with one (or more) of the questions.

There are plenty of other old quizzes with no II that are eligible for QoTH (if I remember correctly, the only condition is that it must have a large number of plays - I don't know the specific number). I don't think there'd be any way of removing these other than manually searching and removing (assuming the editors/Terry can remove specific quizzes anyway), so it's probably something you'll just have to live with.

Edited by AdamM7 (Sat Aug 17 2013 09:05 AM)

~(_8(I)

#1004041 - Sat Aug 17 2013 09:34 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

I already sent a correction notice, but when I complained in general I was told to be specific.

This is it.

#1004047 - Sat Aug 17 2013 09:55 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: zippolover
I already sent a correction notice, but when I complained in general I was told to be specific.

The editors aren't psychic - you need to point out specific errors. Posting here won't help.

Quote:
This is it.

I'm sorry; I don't understand.

~(_8(I)

#1004053 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:08 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I don't see anything wrong with the quiz. frown

No i/i, sure, but so what really? We can live without i/i in everything. Don't tell anyone but I regularly do not read i/i. I really just like the questions. Shh.

I saw a title with a typo - a lower case letter instead of a capital one. That's it.

frown Save the quiz!!

wink

Edited by Chavs (Sat Aug 17 2013 10:09 AM)

#1004055 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:11 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quizzes that met the standards at the time they were put online are allowed to stay online.

#1004060 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:34 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Immortality does not have an "n" in it. That is the Correction Note that I sent.

AdamM7, I have complained about this subject before, but was told to be specific I.E. not all quizzes written in 2000 were of this standard. I have proffered this quiz as a specific example. The consensus seems to be that quizzes like this, which fall way below current standards, are good enough for QOTH.

IMHO the QOTH should be of the highest standard because it is the only stand alone single quiz for the site for that hour. To me, if a quiz or something is singled out in this way, it ought to be a fine representation of FT. A bit like "Employee of the Month".

I will shut up now.

#1004062 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:42 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
We'd soon get bored of playing the same set of quizzes, I fear. smile

#1004063 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:46 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
Actually, the song by Celine Dion and the Bee Gees is properly titled "Inmortality" as a check with Google clearly shows.

#1004064 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:54 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

#1004073 - Sat Aug 17 2013 11:59 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: maninmidohio]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: maninmidohio
Actually, the song by Celine Dion and the Bee Gees is properly titled "Inmortality" as a check with Google clearly shows.

What did you Google...

I googled 'celine dion and the bee gees' and not a single search result had an n in the song title.

#1004077 - Sat Aug 17 2013 12:15 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: maninmidohio]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: maninmidohio

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
What did you Google...

I googled 'celine dion and the bee gees' and not a single search result had an n in the song title.

Googling "Inmortality" leads to a couple of YouTube videos with that title (presumably, it was a typo in those cases). Searching for "Celine Dion & Bee Gees" will lead to the correct title - "Immortality".

In cases like these, it's probably best to search for something unbiased like the singer, because type just about anything into Google and you'll find something that matches what you typed in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortality_(Celine_Dion_song)

~(_8(I)

#1004081 - Sat Aug 17 2013 01:30 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

I put a link to a photograph of the single by Celine Dion in my last post - with special guests the Bee Gees

To save you scrolling back

#1004161 - Sat Aug 17 2013 09:10 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Okay, you sent the correction notice. Give the editors time to find it, look over the quiz, and make needed corrections.

They have lives. They too are members of this site and have a right to enjoy their time here playing like the rest of us instead of doing nothing but making corrections. They also edit quizzes & work with authors of said quizzes.

They are volunteers. This is not their full time job. They do this basically to help everyone else. There must be thousands of correction notices a day and to go through them takes time. Give them a chance to get to fixing this issue.

Wait a week or two. If it is still the same, consider sending another notice.

#1004175 - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:22 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: MiraJane]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: MiraJane

The editing staff will get to all correction notices. There is no reason to send a second CN on the same question.

#1004191 - Sun Aug 18 2013 01:58 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: dg_dave]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: dg_dave

The editing staff will get to all correction notices. There is no reason to send a second CN on the same question.

I didn't write "send a second notice." I wrote consider, as in think about it.

#1004268 - Sun Aug 18 2013 08:50 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Mirajane, if you consider doing something, it is a distinct possibility that you will actually do it. An editor clarified that there is never any need to send a second CN on the same item as all CNs are dealt with. One is enough and more would create rework for editors.

#1004272 - Sun Aug 18 2013 10:07 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: shuehorn]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
Mirajane, if you consider doing something, it is a distinct possibility that you will actually do it. An editor clarified that there is never any need to send a second CN on the same item as all CNs are dealt with. One is enough and more would create rework for editors.

I understand that, Sue. Perhaps my use of the word "consider" was incorrect. I used it the way I think of it. I consider doing many things again. Then I say, "Nah."

However, I do admit to sending 2d notices twice. But, they were both at least two months apart. And each time, I mentioned that the first one had been sent a while back, the 2d notice was when the question appeared in a mixed quiz and perhaps the pool needed to be checked. Is that wrong?

#1004290 - Sun Aug 18 2013 10:52 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: MiraJane]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

and perhaps the pool needed to be checked.

I was under the impression that the pool was automatically updated after a certain period of time (and that if you want to send a correction on a question from a timed game, you should first check the quiz it came from to see if the error has already been fixed).

~(_8(I)

#1004413 - Sun Aug 18 2013 07:59 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: AdamM7]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: AdamM7

I was under the impression that the pool was automatically updated after a certain period of time (and that if you want to send a correction on a question from a timed game, you should first check the quiz it came from to see if the error has already been fixed).

In a perfect world, with perfect devices, and perfect Internet connections, that does seem like the best thing to do.

But there are times when attempting to check the parent quiz, the link changes the screen to the parent quiz and the mixed quiz is gone. Using the back button to return to the mixed quiz brings up a white screen, blank except with the message "You have already played in this tournament!" and the opportunity to look back at the question is lost.

And it happens when it is a Question Quest question too. No, this doesn't happen all the time, but often enough.

Perhaps it is because I use an iPad that this happens. It has been a couple of years since I've had a computer to use this site and I don't remember what happened. I have no idea how it works on a phone.

Yes, the question pools were recently refreshed. The times I mentioned the notices I sent regarding checking the question pool happens before the pools were refreshed and in the beginning of the refreshing.

In mid June, I decided to try for the monthly badges in the hourly games (except Word Wizard). So I began to obsessively playing them. I didn't get them that month, so I tried again in July... and I got all three. During those weeks, I saw a heck of a lot of repeat questions, with repeat errors the entire time. That is why I began adding in to the correction notices that perhaps the pool needed to be updated.

#1004476 - Mon Aug 19 2013 05:15 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: MiraJane]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Okay, you sent the correction notice. Give the editors time to find it, look over the quiz, and make needed corrections.

They have lives. They too are members of this site and have a right to enjoy their time here playing like the rest of us instead of doing nothing but making corrections. They also edit quizzes & work with authors of said quizzes.

They are volunteers. This is not their full time job. They do this basically to help everyone else. There must be thousands of correction notices a day and to go through them takes time. Give them a chance to get to fixing this issue.

Sucking eggs here!

#1004699 - Mon Aug 19 2013 10:09 PM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: zippolover

Sucking eggs here!

Since you quoted an entire answer of mine, I'm assuming this was directed at me.

I know of three different ways "sucking eggs" can be interpreted. And none of them make sense in this case. What are you trying to say?

#1004775 - Tue Aug 20 2013 08:32 AM Re: Quizzes of the Hour [Re: zippolover]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

I will take this off the board

Moderator:  Terry