Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100399 - Sat Mar 24 2001 09:38 AM Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
I've now gone 2 weeks without biting the wretched things (and I'm beginning to get little white bits on them). However they're really really weak (they're quite bendy) and will start to flake apart soon - and I'd quite like to keep them this time (normally when they do this I end up biting them again).

Any ideas?

------------------
Money talks. Chocolate sings - beautifully

#100400 - Sat Mar 24 2001 10:36 AM Re: Nails - help!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
You should be extremely proud of yourself fay_mc. I have known numerous people in my life who were nail biters, and they all have said how hard it is to break the habit. Many of them have bitten their nails since childhood, which makes it even harder to quit.

I have always heard that we are supposed file our nails, going in one direction on each side of the nail and not in back and forth motion. Keep your nails files in more of a square shape and never to any kind of point. This will will keep them stonger. I would also keep an emery board close at hand at all times, so that once you feel a tiny snag, you can file it before it catches on something and breaks off. I found a product that I buy from the beauty supply store called "Perfect Nail". Perfect Nail is a creamy white nail polish. Actually it is almost clear and very attractive on your nails. It looks very French, if you know what I mean. I find that you can apply many layers of this polish on at one time (letting each coat dry first) and it really protects your nails as well as making them look more attractive. There is also a product called 'Don't Bite It', which helps one to stop biting their nails with the first application safely and effectively. Works with one application, encourages natural nail growth and dries to a high gloss finish. I would also recommend that taking calcium suppliments and gelatin capsules.

Keep up the great work FM.

#100401 - Sat Mar 24 2001 11:38 AM Re: Nails - help!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I keep something on my nails usually. Ridge filler or a no peel polish. My mom gave me this french blue tint by nina that has fiberglass in it and it is amazing. My biggest problem now is the are so hard when they break its a disaster...

#100402 - Sun Mar 25 2001 12:13 AM Re: Nails - help!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I picked up the habit of biting my cuticles from my mother. It took me many years to break that habit.

#100403 - Mon Mar 26 2001 07:12 PM Re: Nails - help!
mew Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Emerald City, Oz
There are nail strengthen nail polishes...if you don't wear nail polish you can use clear. I think that they are called Sally Hansen?
also, i heard britney spears has hot pepper nail polish that stings her tounge when she bites her nails.

[This message has been edited by mew (edited 03-26-2001).]

#100404 - Tue Mar 27 2001 02:58 PM Re: Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Thanks for the tips guys - they're nearly long enough to wear nail polish now - and I'm getting that irrational urge to go to the shops and buy some in silly colours (shopping withdrawal is obviously setting in again - pay day soon!)

------------------

#100405 - Tue Mar 27 2001 05:10 PM Re: Nails - help!
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
There are ring-shank nails, finishing nails, box nails, brads, galvanized nails.... oops .... sorry. I thought you meant nails nails.

#100406 - Wed Mar 28 2001 02:35 PM Re: Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

LOL

There aren't seriously that many types of nails with different names are there?

------------------

#100407 - Sun Apr 15 2001 04:18 PM Re: Nails - help!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Though I am pretty good with my nails there are two more products I will swear by....

Sally Hansons' No More Peeling...
and
Sally Hansons' Hard as Nails....

used alternating my nails are in the best shape they have EVER been in....

and fay...how are the nails coming along....???/

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: eyeball ]

#100408 - Mon Apr 16 2001 05:03 AM Re: Nails - help!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Yes Fay, how are they doing? The problem with most of these products is that they are not available in the UK.

Marvala is very good in my experience, and that IS available in the UK. Another product which is excellent is Nail Food and Nail Drink by Supernails - available through QVC, the shopping channel.... you don't have to have watch TV to get it, you can look them up on the website at www.qvcuk.com

I bit my nails for about 45 years before quitting so I do know what it is like. My nails are really strong now.

#100409 - Wed Apr 25 2001 01:46 PM Re: Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

The nails are now really long, and I am now officially the Nail Polish Queen! (yet another excuse to go shopping )

#100410 - Tue Jun 26 2001 07:54 AM Re: Nails - help!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

That's great news! I am sure that it was difficult for you to stop biting your nails, as it is hard to break any habit. You should real proud of yourself. I'll bet your hands look beautiful.

Myrrh is a marvelous extract oil. You can apply it to your hair, scalp, nails, skin, or even take it internally if it is pure enough for ingestion. From what I understand, it can do wonders for your nails, even when you think NOTHING can make them grow. It helps your nails to grow stronger and longer. So, if any of you have nails that split, chip, peel and crack, and/or are very soft, give Myrrh a try.

#100411 - Tue Jun 26 2001 05:47 PM Re: Nails - help!
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Hey Eyeball.......where do I get this french blue tint stuff......I have one nail that continually splits {after I hit it with a hammer....hard...lol}

It has been doing it for about four years and I am desperate to solve the problem

#100412 - Tue Jun 26 2001 05:58 PM Re: Nails - help!
ruthg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
One of the best (and most natural ) ways to strenthen nails is to drink plenty of milk.

#100413 - Tue Jun 26 2001 07:50 PM Re: Nails - help!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I think my mom got it at Sally Beauty Supply...its called "french blue tint" by NINA....
I know that any good salon or store would probably have it...there a few things online that I see...

if I get up that way soon I will see if they have anymore and let you know...(I could pick one up and mail it your way if necessary...)

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: eyeball ]

#100414 - Wed Jun 27 2001 06:00 AM Re: Nails - help!
Pling Offline
Mainstay

hey Eyeball that would be fantastic.....but only if it no trouble..I could send you a cheque or something. I fyou manage to get some we can chat in email or PM's to sort out details.....You are such a sweetie

Thanks
Lisa

#100415 - Mon Aug 06 2001 11:57 PM Re: Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Bringing this back up because I've just found some really good hand and nail cream that seems to be working wonders on them - having been through so much stuff I need a bigger bathroom cabinet!

It's called Overnight Hand and Nail Treatment, and it's in the Boots Botanicals range - it might be of use to one of the Brits on here, but I'm genuinely amazed at the difference (and I've got lovely soft hands as well).

Still break them all the time - because I persist in doing rotten things like typing with them!

Just thoought I'd share the discovery!

#100416 - Mon Aug 06 2001 01:44 PM Re: Nails - help!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Keep it up Fay, then you can indulge in some realy freaky coloured nail polish! Somehow I doubt whether we would plump for the same shades if you are anything like my daughter.... that turquoise on her toes is really gross! Actually I have been known to use a gold/blue which is rather attractive by Bourjois.

#100417 - Tue Aug 07 2001 08:13 AM Re: Nails - help!
mew Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Emerald City, Oz
I saw this stuff in a magazine once. You put on the clear nail polish (it's not really nail polish though,) and then you put on your actual nail polish colour. Then when you want to take off that color, you just peel it off.

#100418 - Tue Aug 07 2001 10:29 AM Re: Nails - help!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

That sounds like it has the potential for hours of amusement as one of my really bad habits is picking nail polish off (I know I shouldn't) - it could keep me occupied for a good few hours

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong