Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100461 - Tue Apr 03 2001 04:30 PM The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
If you were asked to name the single most helpful tip you've ever received, what would it be?

Would it be a particular way of dusting your furniture that has saved you hours of housecleaning time?

Would it be something that you've learned to do with your car in order to save gas or time?

Would it be one daily chore trick that you use that has proven to be invaluable to you?

Give me your ULTIMATE tip/trick that you've learned that makes your life simpler and easier!

#100462 - Tue Apr 03 2001 05:58 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
splatt123 Offline
Prolific

I don't know about ultimate tip, but this is certainly my favorite garden tip, Linda:

If you want deer to stay out of your gardens and away from your prized plants, hang Irish Spring around the area you want them away from. Deer don't like the smell of the soap -- it's too 'human' to them. They will steer clear of any place where the soap hangs.

BTW, Deer hunters if you don't get that prized deer AND you use Irish Spring, you may want to change soaps.

#100463 - Tue Apr 03 2001 06:18 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
ruthg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
I don't know if my tactic really counts or not but THE best thing I learned
was the art of delegation.It has saved me loads of time and energy .

#100464 - Wed Apr 04 2001 08:59 AM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Splatt, THANKS! My parents are going to be moving to an area where deer are going to be very present. So, I'll pass along your tip to them. Mom's hoping to grow some roses. Will have to get her some Irish Spring to use around the rosebed!

#100465 - Wed Apr 04 2001 09:17 AM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
This is not my ultimate tip Linda, but I always sprinkle a little baking soda in my rubber gloves before I put them on, this way they will slide right off and not stick to my hands. I will try to think of some additional tips.

#100466 - Wed Apr 04 2001 09:54 AM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Wait! But, that's what I'm looking for - the ONE tip that you find yourself going back to over and over again. The one thing that, had you not learned to do it, your life wouldn't be as simple or uncomplicated as it could have been.

Not a list of tips!!! We have lists of them all over the forum. Rather, I'm looking for what you would say is one of your ULTIMATE tips in life.

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: Linda1 ]

#100467 - Wed Apr 04 2001 02:55 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I would have to say that my ulitmate tip would be to take all your negatives from your favorite pictures and put them in a safety deposit box. I know that I lost many things in a fire a few years ago and lost some precious items and I think losing pictures of loved ones that can never be replaced was the biggest loss of all. I often see people on the news who are interviewed after going through a fire, earthquake, flood, hurricane, etc. one of things that they wish they could replace is their family photographs. So I urge everyone not to wait and go through your photos and put the negatives (and any important papers) in a safety deposit box as soon as you can.

#100468 - Wed Apr 04 2001 09:16 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Good tip, JoJo2. Photographic negatives stored in a bank safety deposit box are also in a climate controlled and generally dust-free area and it is very dark inside one of those boxes -- ideal storage conditions. I pay $25 per year for rental of my box, which contains legal papers and color prints of my home and the inside of all rooms. If the place burns down, I can show the insurance company what I owned.
Not that I have much of value, but replacement orange crates are hard to find these days.

By the way, baby powder or corn starch make very good "lube" for rubber gloves. When finished using the gloves, store them inside out to dry.

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: fjohn ]

#100469 - Thu Apr 05 2001 09:16 AM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I've been asking around about this, and here are one person's ULTIMATE tips:

* At all times--in all situations, and with all people--try to have a firm sense of what your priorities are. If you know what really matters most to you, everything else becomes easier.

* At all times--retain a sense of humor. There is a bit of the absurd in everything.

* Don't ever lose your sense of awe--there is always something new or beautiful or extrodinary going on right around you. Take the time to notice and appreciate it---it might not come your way again.

#100470 - Thu Apr 05 2001 10:48 AM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
justawful Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Sykesville Maryland USA   
My Dad instilled in me at an early age to pay all my bills immediately,stay out of debt,keep interest payments to a minimum,or eliminate them completely.Nothing hurts more than paying more than once for the same item.Of course high ticket items,such as a house, have to be financed,but put every bit of extra capital toward paying down the debt.This advice was to be fortuitous as I eventually became a multimillionaire before the age of 50.If our government had adopted this policy just think of the available money that would not have been spent paying interest on a trillion dollar debt.

#100471 - Thu Apr 05 2001 11:09 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Welcome to FunTrivia justawful. Thank you for the excellent tip Jim.

#100472 - Thu Apr 05 2001 11:37 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
justawful Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Sykesville Maryland USA   
Thanx JoJo. Happy to be here.

#100473 - Thu Apr 05 2001 12:59 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
awkins Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hammond Louisiana USA
The tip I keep telling everyone is:
Keep your celery in the fridge wrapped in foil. It lasts for weeks and doesn't go soft. Don't know why, but it really works

#100474 - Thu Apr 05 2001 06:27 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
TexasJoe Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Plano, Texas
Next time you stop and have a Frosty Draft Beer... To keep that little coaster from sticking to the bottom of the mug every time you hoist it, sprinkle a little salt all over the coaster and place the mug on the salt.

Think I will go have one now....

#100475 - Fri Apr 06 2001 12:18 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
Anonymous
No longer registered

My ultimate tip - Be curious.
As Thomas Edison said, "There is a better way...find it."

Now that I think about it that's more like a piece of advice than a tip, so here's my actual tip:

I take my own canvas bags to the grocery store...I don't have a ton of plastic or paper bags piled up in the house because I feel too guilty to just throw them away (that would be being wasteful!). You make fewer trips back and forth from the car when bringing them in because they're so strong you can really load them up, thereby using fewer bags (I've never had one to break on me). The store gives me 5 cents for each one I bring in so it saves me a little on my grocery bill.

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: CarolinaCarol ]

#100476 - Fri Apr 13 2001 09:24 PM Re: The ULTIMATE Tip/Trick
shabbychic Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: princeton in 47670
clothespins i have them scattered all over the house kitchen: chips cereal the plastic bags that go in the freezer bread fruits and vegs in the frig potatoes onions put little pieces of magnetic tape for notes on the frig and if yor stove is near the frig put a coule up there for potholders in closets to keep those pesky clothes on the hanger i use them on my desk instead of paperclips they are easier to find in the laundery for socks (the plastic ones) any thing you would want to clip together they are the best invention since the safety pin if you do crafts keeping odd flowers in a bunch i could go on and on but i think you get my drift

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong