Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100512 - Tue Apr 17 2001 02:53 PM Quitting Smoking
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Loc: Splashing around in the puddle...
If you're thinking about quitting smoking, check out the quit-smoking website called QuitNet at www.quitnet.org.
It offers its visitors the benenfits of around the clock service, anonymity, and a variety of resources and self-directed behavior modification tools.

#100513 - Tue Apr 17 2001 04:18 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

That is a great site for people who want to quit. There is a tremendous amount of support. I registered with the site in Jan of 2000 when I quit a 20 year smoking habit! It has helped me a great deal with tips and advice on how to stay smoke free.

#100514 - Tue Apr 17 2001 05:58 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Hi annie and billsgyrl! I checked out the site and even registered as a newbie. Thank you for posting this address, it´s just what I needed right now!

I´ve been thinking I need to cut down ,alot, lately and then maybe gradually quit. I know I can´t do it Cold Turkey. This site looks like it can really help me out through the whole process. I recently bought nicotine gum but haven´t started using it as I have a few questions and doubts. Maybe you guys can help me with that(?). I was too shy to enter the chat room there as I don´t know absolutely anyone yet! (Yes, me shy, imagine that! LOL) Anyway, I´m registered as "Fort", so look me up or leave me a message next time you´re there. It´ll probably take me a while to figure out how to work all the gadgets though...

#100515 - Tue Apr 17 2001 10:59 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Fortunata: I tried quitting about 12 years ago by using "The Patch." It worked very well for me with the highest level of nicotine (24mg?). It worked brilliantly for three months as long as I used this patch. Never had a twinge of longing for the devil weed.
As soon as I removed the last patch, I was hooked again and tried the Nicorette gum. I found myself smoking and chewing the gum at the same time. The only thing the gum did for me was to numb my mouth.
If you truly want to quit, the patch will help but only for a limited time. The only way to quit smoking is to quit, get rid of the ashtrays and tough it out. Good luck.

#100516 - Wed Apr 18 2001 12:10 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Oh God...I´m gonna go through Hell aren´t I? LOL

Well, I´ll give it a try anyway. I´ve been smoking for 15 years and I still consider myself pretty young and in good health, but I can tell that pretty soon I´ll be feeling it alot more. I´ve gotten up to smoking a pack a day (sometimes less, sometimes more), something that I´d never done before. It´s affected my weight and my mood and I´m just not happy with myself. Going off of it will probably be the hardest thing to do, I know this. My goal is to cut down considerably by doing it in stages, hopefully with the help of the gum, and then maybe just being what´s called a "social smoker". People who are able to do that without becoming a slave to tobacco are really admirable.

We´ll see how it goes...thanks for wishing me luck!

#100517 - Wed Apr 18 2001 12:31 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Fortunata, you can do this. You have the motivation and you have the power. It only takes 3 days for the nicotine to be totally out of your system. Drink lots of water. And take vitamin C [you can take up to about 2000 mg as long as it doesn't cause you any problems]. I tried, unsuccessfully, to quit smoking using every method known to man. The problem was that I didn't really want to quit, I still wanted to smoke a little bit. I cut down to about 3 cigs a day. Then guess what happened. I smoked one more than I had the day before and so on until I was back to a pack a day again. Five years ago [come June] I quit cold turkey. I believe it's the only way to quit. I wanted to quit for the same reasons you do Fort, young and healthy. I wanted to do it for me, before I had some unrecoverable health problem that would change my whole way of life.
No Fort you're not gonna go thru hell. It will be hard. But with determination you can do it. Replace the time you spent smoking with something you enjoy doing. Something that makes you feel good about yourself. Think about what you're gonna do with all the money you'll save. You can take yourself on a vacation or buy something sexy. You're doing something great for yourself. I'm proud of you. If you need any help I'm here for ya babe. Email or Pm. ok?

#100518 - Wed Apr 18 2001 02:27 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
I'm with Fort on this, all the way. I'm still smoking 15 a day or thereabouts after 25 years (or a quarter of a century, which really sounds worse). I hate it sometimes, no, almost all of the time. I remember it was only 5 or 6 a few years back, and a whole pack 20 odd years ago. The kids are now 9 1/2 and 8 and they're always getting into me (I haven't smoked in the house, or in the car, since our first born arrived). I gave up once at lunchtime Saturday a few years back, and by Monday morning I was crawling up walls and along ceilings. I tried the gum 10 or 12 years ago for a few months, but it ended up exactly as fjohn described.

annie's right fort, we gotta cold turkey it mate. One of my mate's wife stopped the way she started, gradually, reducing her smokes by one cigarette a week or a fortnight (or whatever, she was flexible), until she was on one a day, and then she just gave it away after a few weeks on that dosage. She was, I should add, a very focussed individual, who always had 'her mind on the job' so to speak. I've tried that way too, but I lost count and interest as I'm always too darn busy to keep track of exactly what I'm doing. I've also tried writing down when I was smoking so I could keep track of the occasions and come up with a plan. That was about 15 years ago and was a waste of time, as well.

some more stories: This plumber I know stopped smoking, but he was still carrying his cigarettes around with him for another 2 or 3 months so that he didn't have to announce it to anyone. On the way to the airport one day this taxi driver told me he cold turkeyed it but carried a tootbrush and toothpaste with him for weeks, he kept brushing his teeth every few hours (true, he had no reason to lie) and, would you believe, I've noticed that I have no urge to smoke after brushing. I'll register in there with ya fort, but let me think about it first; I don't know anyone in there either and I'm the quiet unassuming type (yea right), the mild mannered reporter, sorry accountant.

billsgyrl/annie, how did you feel the first week, do you remember which week or day was the hardest? is it possible to describe it in words ..

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: gtho4 ]

#100519 - Wed Apr 18 2001 05:46 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

I never tried any of the gum or things of that nature, I quit cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. The first week my family thought I was out to kill them, I was so moody, they all stayed away from me. LOL But after that first week, it got alot better. Annie is right drink ALOT of water, it really helps. Try vegetable sticks, if you need something in your hands. Suck on sugar free candy. I didn't gain alot of weight either about 10 pounds, but soon that came off. You won't believe how much food taste better once you quit. It is like your taste buds come alive. If anyone needs to talk, I'm a good listener, I'm here for you always! Chris

I am registered at Quitnet as Chris64

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: billsgyrl ]

#100520 - Wed Apr 18 2001 12:39 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thank you all for your kind words and support!!! It really helps to hear different perspectives on this, as it is different for everybody.

With me, the problem is that I think I lack the willpower, simply because I know I don´t want to quit entirely right now. I want to gradually step down, from 20 to 15 to 10 to 5 a day, and then maybe I can quit. I mentioned smoking only in social settings because here it´s a cultural norm..
you go out somewhere and nearly everyone smokes, there aren´t really any non-smoking/smoking areas, and it is widely accepted. This will make it that much more difficult for me.

I appreciate all the tips and will try each of them to see what works best for me. Don´t be surprised if you get moody PM´s from me, though...LOL

#100521 - Wed Apr 18 2001 02:51 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Hi my name is JoJo and I am a cigarette smoker. Last week I told myself that I was going to quit, but so far I have only cut down on the amount of cigarettes that I smoke per day. The odd thing about me is that I rarely smoke except when I am on the computer or when I am drinking. I can do without at most other times. Logging on the computer and lighting up go hand in hand for me.

Fortunata, I wish you the best of the luck. Maybe we should be patch buddies.

Anniedt, thank you for starting our smokers support group for us! Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support for Fortunata and for sharing your stories with us.

#100522 - Wed Apr 18 2001 08:48 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

A little tip for those of you trying to quit. Lots of chewing gum, (Not nicotine loaded), and lots of water, (At least 8 glasses a day)! It worked wonders for My brother in law, and the water helps flush the nicotine out of your system.

You can rock a cradle, but you can't rock a casbah!

#100523 - Wed Apr 18 2001 09:35 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
JoJo2, try this: don't smoke in the house. Since you live in San Diego, going outside or in the garage to smoke is not a problem. Two things become quickly apparent (1) you must consciously leave your house for a smoke and you will ask yourself if you really want one that badly. (2) Your home will smell better.
I live in Wyoming and smoke only outside or in my garage. For five frigid months of the year, I am bundled up, huddled and shivering in the lee of my garage for a quick smoke. The house smells a whole lot better, my wife thanks me and this computer screen doesn't turn brown anymore.

#100524 - Thu Apr 19 2001 01:56 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
val9000 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Louisville Kentucky USA
Hello, my name is Valerie.
I have been nicotine free for 32.5 hours.

I'm trying cold turkey. Figured it would be easier if I completely took away my body's source of nicotine.
I'll let you know how it goes.
(Think I should have bought stock in LifeSavers candy and Wrigley's gum before I decided to do this tho... I'm sure I'm now keeping the companies in the black.)

Valerie

(thanks for this thread annie... you must be psychic, seeing all the FT members who responded about quitting)

#100525 - Thu Apr 19 2001 10:38 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Congratulations Val! You are an inspiration to those who want to be nicotine free.
Yes George, I do remember what it was like that first week. I was tense, irritable. I had momentary bouts of weakness/insanity. Once I went looking everywhere for a butt. I found one and lit the sucker. I thought I would die! That was on the eve of the second day. It made me sick physically and I felt like a complete failure! But I picked myself up and started to quit again. The desire to smoke never left entirely for the first year. I felt a sadness too at losing something I had become so accustomed to. It's like losing a friend, someone who is around every time you need them. I found that it was extrememly important to identify and change the way I viewed cigarettes and smoking. I had to convince myself that I hated it; that cigarettes were not my friends.... a friend would never poison you and try to kill you. I also forced myself to look at statistics and stories on cigarette related deaths and illnesses. I once saw a photo of lungs blackened from cigarette smoking, the remains of a woman's tongue after surgery due to cancer. Smokers never allow themselves to think of these things. I don't even consider that I gave up smoking, rather that I got rid of the habit. Nicotine is extremely addictive, but the psychological addiction is, I believe, even stronger. There are some excellent tips in this thread to help you overcome the addiction to nicotine. You know what's funny Fort, is that I bought some of that nicotine gum too, but I never chewed a single piece. I just couldn't fathom putting a hunk of nicotine laden chewing gum in my mouth! Congratulations Billsgirl on beating the habit. Also to JoJo, and George for cutting down. One less cigarette has got to be better.

#100526 - Fri Apr 20 2001 12:31 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Focus on how much better you will feel after you've quit! In.....

20 minutes.........
blood pressure drops to normal
pulse rate drops to normal
body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal

8 hours......
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
oxygen level in blood increases to normal

24 hours........
chance of heart attack decreases

48 hours.........
nerve endings start regrowing
ability to smell and taste is enhanced

2 weeks to 3 months...........
circulation improves
walking becomes easier
lung function increases up to 30%

1 to 9 months............
coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
body's overall energy increases

1 year............
excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker

5 years..............
lung cancer death rate for average former smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half
stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting
risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's

10 years...................
lung-cancer death rate is similar to that of a nonsmoker
precancerous cells are replaced
risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, and pancreas decreases

15 years...................
risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker

#100527 - Fri Apr 20 2001 10:06 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
val9000 Offline
Multiloquent

So this is what hell is, huh?
52.5 hours down. If I didn't have this damned head-cold helping me out, I don't think I would've made it to this point. When I'm sick, I don't feel much like smoking anyway... Of course, the withdrawls are making me feel even more sick.
Jeff's trying to quit too, but I know he's had a couple. I guess 2 is better than 40.
Okay... enough from me... the more I talk about it the more I want to light up.

Valerie

#100528 - Fri Apr 20 2001 11:39 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

fjohn, I hate the way things turn yellow or brown from the smoke. I think that would probably be more of an incentive for me to quit smoking than anything else, believe it or not. I took down all my blinds last year and had to wash them with bleach. I did three blinds at a time, and holy cow what a difference it made. You're right I should make myself go outside to smoke. I have this weird little problem though. When I was in my late teens, my mother would always tell me that it wasn't lady like to walk with a cigarette in her hand. Ever since then I would never smoke outside. Now that is strange for be because I didn't listen to everything my mother told me, lol but yet that has always stayed in my head for some reason. But you're right, once it stops raining in San Diego, I will make an effort to do so.

Val, you poor girl. You're not feeling well and you're trying to quit smoking and drinking? Are you a bit of a bear at the moment? Just kidding, I admire you for making such major positive changes in you life. I know you can do it and I wish you the best of luck.

How's it going Fortunata? I understand what you mean about smoking being sociably accepted and how hard it is to be the only one to quit smoking. It would be great if one of your friends decided to quit with you. Here in California it is against the law to smoke in any of the bars and restaurants, so that will really help in my case. If you can't quit immediately, then try to cut down at first. I had a friend who couldn't quit cold turkey, so they took a pen and drew an line about midway on each cigarette and would put it out once the cig burnt to that point. She also rationed the amount of cigs per day. She ended up quiting believe it or not, so I guess what ever works for each indiviual, whether it be patches or gum, etc.

Keep those suggestions coming and good luck to all who are trying to quit and big congratulations to those have already succeeded.

#100529 - Fri Apr 20 2001 12:26 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok, I´m feeling kind of edgy. For the past two days I´ve been consciously trying to reduce my daily cigarette intake. I´ve been trying to smoke one cigarette every hour. A friend of my mom´s was able to gradually quit this way.

On Wednesday I did really well, I only smoked 8 cigarettes. Of course, sleeping through half the day helped alot! LOL
I´ve been fighting a nasty cold, which like Val, has helped with the cravings. I´ve caught myself feeling disgusted after going for a couple hours without lighting up and then giving in to it...the first few puffs will taste like crap but then it goes away. Yesterday I didn´t do as well, I think I went through 15 cigarettes. Today and tonight will be horrible for me, I´m sure, because I´ve got plans to go out dancing to a club.

I haven´t tried the nicotine gum at all...Annie, you´re right, that stuff looks gross! Maybe I´ll stow it for an "emergency". LOL

We´ll see how the weekend goes.

Val--dear sis, I am so proud of you! WTG! I hope you and Jeff reach your goal.

#100530 - Sat Apr 21 2001 07:34 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
val9000 Offline
Multiloquent

I smoked one last night. WOW what a head-rush. Immediately felt dizzy. (I'm one of those people who HATES that feeling... I refuse to ride any amusement park ride that only goes in circles. How is feeling like you need to throw up fun? but anyway... I digress...)
I did smoke the whole thing tho. Felt like a 'weakling' for doing it, but hey, I rationalized the shame away... one cigarette in about 73 hours (now) is pretty good. The head-cold is gone (damned nyquil worked too good), so my physical cravings are rocking and rolling. A friend of mine said she had a brother quit via hypnosis... but I've made it this far... I can make it all the way without that (I hope). Last night I told Jeff to consider how much money we've already saved... (we were/are both pack-a-dayers)... $18.00 in just three days! I know 18 bucks ain't no big jackpot, but after a year it's almost $2200. I'm thinking of throwing three dollars (average price per pack here) in a jar every day I don't smoke and see how much I end up with. Then, If I've made it a year... this girl is going SHOPPING!

And hey... this quitting drinking thing is easier this way too! When I drink I want a cig... this way I CAN'T drink. LOL!

I've been hearing from friends that it's the SECOND week that's the toughest. God I hope not, because the first week has been nearly unbearable, and there's still 3.5 days left!
Ugggggg.... please tell me they were kidding.

Everyone at the station now knows I'm trying to quit... (I know because they're all avoiding me now!). The station manager asked me yesterday what my problem was ('why are you such a grumpy gus' was his choice of words) and when I told him he said "Oh jeez! Sorry!" and backed out of my office! LOL!

anyway... thanks for all the support you guys... you are all the best. Best of luck to you too sister Fort! I'm pulling for ya... you can do anything you put your mind to!

How's GT doing? is he still trying to cut down? Best of luck to ya George! Perhaps the money in the jar thing would help you quit... It would give you something to count!

Love you all more than words can express,
Valerie

#100531 - Sat Apr 21 2001 09:14 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
lol Lois!
nothing to report as yet mate

#100532 - Sat Apr 21 2001 02:22 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
anniedt Offline
Prolific

Val you're doing great! Just a bit of a set back, it happens. I disagree about the second week being the hardest. The first week is without a doubt the hardest! Then you'll have smaller hurdles to leap over. The fourth week was hard for me. The psychological addiction takes longer to overcome than the nicotine addiction. Determination is the key. And it sounds to me like you're determined. I did the money in a coffee can for the first year. Used it to buy a new wardrobe cuz I gained so much weight. Just kidding. I took a vacation, went to Colorado to see my nephew graduate. I think cigs were about $2 a pack when I quit and was a pack a day smoker. So I had a nice chunk of change. The real reward though is how much better I feel, not just physcially but I know I've done something healthy for myself, no longer enslaved by the habit.

#100533 - Thu Apr 26 2001 05:40 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

fjohn, I kind of twisted your advice around to help me quit smoking. You suggested that I smoke outside since I tend to smoke more when I am on the computer, etc. Well, as I mentioned before, I do not like to smoke while walking, nor do I like smoking while I am standing outside, in fact I don't even like to smoke outside at all. So, I have decided to spend more time outside. I started sunbathing (I hate to smoke in the sun) and next week I start swimming and then I hope to start taking long walks. I thank you suggesting that I go outside, although you probably had no idea that I was going to get into a health kick.

#100534 - Fri May 04 2001 08:05 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

WOMEN FIND IT HARDER TO QUIT SMOKING

If you're a woman who just can't seem to kick the nicotine, don't be too hard on yourself. A study conducted at the University of Pittsburgh has found that many smoking cessation programs and medications are geared toward men and do not address the special needs of women. For example, women do not do as well as men on nicotine patches and gums, but they might respond better if treated with antidepressants. And some women are more sensitive to environmental cues associated with smoking, such as certain friends or even simply being in a certain mood. The study's lead author, Dr. Kenneth A. Perkins, suggested that programs that address the gender-specific concerns of women smokers could increase the success rate of women who are trying to quit smoking.

Source: Pulse Direct, Inc. & United Press International

#100535 - Fri May 18 2001 03:05 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
fairscotsmaiden Offline
Participant

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
I would just like to say that I commend anyone who stops smoking. It is easy to sit in judgement of a smoker, especially if you have never smoked yourself. As a smoker I understand how very difficult it is to stop. Most of us started when we were young and knew no better. I can safely say it was the most unintelligent and unconstructive thing I have ever inflicted upon myself. I am stopping in a couple of weeks with my hubby and ruthg, we have set a date to try the nicotine patches, wish us luck please, we'll need it, it's never easy to stop. I would also like to say that in my opinion the first couple of weeks are difficult, but if you do get to the 5 or 6 week stage, be very careful not to be lulled into a false sense of security. I have stopped cold turkey 3 times now, and at 5 or 6 weeks the mind starts to play tricks and you think you can handle being around smokers and even having a little puff. Beware, before you know it you'll be smoking more than ever and your confidence is at an all time low. Good luck all of you soon to be NON SMOKERS, you are doing a brilliant thing for yourselves and your families.

#100536 - Wed Jun 06 2001 05:22 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Pling Offline
Mainstay

How is the quitting going Val, Fortunata and JoJo???

I gave up five and a half years ago after smoking between 20 and 40 a day. I did it Cold Turkey and now I hate it, especially in restaurants when I am eating.

I hope you are all getting there.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong