Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100537 - Wed Jun 06 2001 11:37 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
val9000 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Louisville Kentucky USA
I'm smoking again... as much as I was before I tried to quit...
I came to the realization one evening that I am, for all intents and puropses, an alcoholic.
Quitting drinking became my priority, and when I felt I needed a drink, the cigarettes
became an alternate to the booze... I'm having what I would call fairly good success beating
the bourbon this far. I still have a drink every now and again, and altho it's usually a
beer instead of bourbon, I'm now stopping at just one. That was a control I didn't have before.
Once I feel I'm comfortable with my level of success with the alcohol, I'll give the cigs a boot.
Right now they're a crutch.

Valerie

#100538 - Wed Jun 06 2001 02:09 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Well done Val, quitting more than one thing at once is too hard... and you have chosen the more important one to target first.

Fifteen months ago I decided (with the help of my doctor nagging me) to delay my next cigarette, I decided not to 'quit' smoking, just to delay having the next one. By not forbidding myself I didn't have to crave, I know that I am permitted to smoke whenever I want, after all I didn't give it up so there is no failure if I had a puff. I have some cigarettes in the cupboard, stale most likely but available, if I didn't have any I would want one and it would dominate my thoughts. These days I rarely even think of smoking, sometimes I would really love to have one, but put it off for another hour or so..........

It works for me.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: sue943 ]

#100539 - Wed Jun 06 2001 04:39 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Not doing too good over here, but thanks for asking Pling.

I´m down to maybe 15 a day. It seems really hard to go down past that number, but I´ve noticed that my cravings have diminished. So basically, I´m smoking more out of custom than anything else. I´m not giving up, though.

#100540 - Wed Jun 06 2001 08:17 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Well done Val for regaining control with the drinking.....and I agree if the smoking gets you through you do it....

and well done Sue that was how I did it I carried a packet around for the best part of 12 months...and never told myself I was giving up...I could have one anytime I wanted I just chose not too...I just wish I could acheive the same result with food...lol

Hey Fortune....you will do it when you are ready and not a day before....

#100541 - Fri Jun 08 2001 07:32 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Hey gang, It's nice to be back.Literally. I just got out of the hospital. My heart started to race at work, so thought I would go in. They kept me for 4 days. I have been a heavy smoker for years, so the withdrawl was awful. I was the ***** from hell to everyone. Then, I would appologize to everyone for being on the crying jags and the shaking fool I was. I had all the tests, and I seem to be ok,at least heart wise. I couldn't wait to get out to have a cigarette, but when I came home, it just didn't seem to be that important. So far, I have cut down a great deal, don't know if I can quit completely, but just cutting down makes me a little proud. I' ve been smoking for so long, I hope this helps. I do have to take a 'beta blocker' for a while,does anyone else take one? I know nothing about them, just that it makes me tired.I did not realize that being addicted to Diet Coke was making my heart race faster, so have cut down on that too. I still have one now and then, but have cut down that a lot. Am drinking lots of water now,so if that is working for others, maybe it will help me too on the smoking. Thanks for listening. Glad to be back. gammab

#100542 - Sat Jun 09 2001 12:35 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Pling Offline
Mainstay

Glad you are back Gammab, Good luck with the smoking and the diet coke...wishing you luck and very good health..

#100543 - Tue Jun 12 2001 12:25 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Dear sweet gammab, I am so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I am happy to hear that you are okay and that you are cutting down on cigarettes and diet Coke. We want to keep you with us for a long time, so I wish you the best of luck in quitting smoking.

I hear that one way to kick the smoking habit is using a nicotine-free pill that has been shown in studies to help you do just that. The study also found that people who refrained from tobacco for 14 days (with or without the pill's help) had a greater chance of staying cigarette-free for good. The pill used in the study was a sustained release form of bupropion. The survey at three centers involved 615 heavy smokers (who puffed on at least 15 cigarettes a day) but who wanted to quit. "If it were possible to identify smokers who would be more likely to succeed or fail with bupropion therapy, treatment decisions could be made that might increase the patient's likelihood of achieving abstinence," said Dr. Lowell Dale of the Nicotine Research Center at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. The results were published in the journal Chest.

#100544 - Tue Jun 12 2001 05:01 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks Pling and JoJo, I am doing pretty well, I drink enough water to float a ship now (I never was a water drinker, my closest to drinking water was getting splashed in the shower),so have cut way back on the Coke. Next step is to go to caffene free. I have found leaving my cigarttes in another room when I'm on line is really helping, that was my biggest problem too, smoking when at the computer. I am trying not to smoke when I drive, and have been doing well there too. Thanks for the support. gammab

#100545 - Sat Jun 23 2001 04:33 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
stewpot Offline
Participant

Loc: Glasgow
I quit smoking almost 1 month ago I have been using the patches. The first week was easy but the 2nd week was very hard I smoked about 30 cigs the 2nd week and I was very disappointed with myself. The last 2 weeks have been great I have'nt had 1 cig and I don't even feel the need for one so I am keeping my fingers crossed because i really need to quit as I suffered a pulmary embolism 18 months ago and if that is'nt a reason to quit I don't know what is.PS good luck to veryone who is trying to stop.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: stewpot ]

#100546 - Thu Jun 28 2001 08:45 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

I am soooo mad at my hubby! We stopped smoking together in November of '99 and now I find out that after a year and a half he's started back. I feel like he backed out on our deal, like he broke his promise to me. And he was sneaking around doing it, which makes it even worse. Ughhhh, it just makes me so ill to even think about it.

This past week while on vacation we visited with his parents and sat there with his Dad who has emphasyma (sp?) from smoking and has to have oxygen all the time. As soon as we walk out the door hubby has to light up a cigarette. I asked him, "How can you do that after just sitting there watching your Dad and what he is going through?" I got no response. I told him "Fine smoke all you want, just don't come near me with your clothes and hair stinking like cigarettes, and don't even think about kissing me with that ash tray mouth either."

I'll tell you one thing! There's not going to be any smoking in the house or my car or around me for that matter. He can just go off somewhere all by his lonesome little self and puff away.

#100547 - Thu Jun 28 2001 10:54 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

CarolinaCarol, you go girl! tee hee Tell him that he gave you an oral promise to quit smoking and you will sue him based on a breach of contract. For every cigarette he smokes, he has to give you $10.00. Just kidding of course.

Good luck Stewpot, you are doing better than I am. I am still in the same boat with Val and Fortunata. The good news is that I am swimming every day and giving my lungs a good work out.

#100548 - Fri Jun 29 2001 08:04 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Hey, I like that $10 per cig deal...good thinking JoJo! Just wait till he gets home

#100549 - Sat Jun 30 2001 02:48 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
stewpot Offline
Participant

Loc: Glasgow
Just up dating my posting of the 23-6-2001. I have went another week without the dreaded weed.

#100550 - Sun Jul 01 2001 07:23 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Anonymous
No longer registered

Way to go Stewpot...Keep up the good work! Believe me you'll be sooooo glad you did.

#100551 - Mon Jul 02 2001 09:51 AM Re: Quitting Smoking
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

That's great stewpot!! Keep up the great work and we are here to support you 100%.

#100552 - Fri Jul 13 2001 04:30 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Micki.M Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland
My mum (ruthg)has stopped smoking for about a month and a half she has been using patches as fairscotsmaiden said.My Aunty (fairscotsmaiden) has done very well she has not smoked for weeks and I think I should give them a big Congratulations. I think they have both done great.

#100553 - Fri Jul 13 2001 05:13 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
ruthg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Glasgow,Scotland
Thanks honey.BTW missing you like mad.

#100554 - Mon Aug 13 2001 11:01 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Rika Offline
Participant

Loc: USA
Well now ... interesting posts. Since no one has posted since mid-July, I am wondering how people are doing with their attempts to quit?

I, for one, have been a smoker off and on since I was in college (don't ask how long ago that was.)

In any case, I quit just over a month ago ... my 3rd time for quitting over the past 12 years. The first two times were when I got pregnant. After my second son was born in '97, I didn't think I'd pick up the habit again but, alas, I did. That was about 4 years ago that I started up again after having quit for a period of about a year. (BTW, I had quit for about 2-1/2 years when I became pregnant with first son in 1989).

In any case, back on July 13, 2001, I went to donate blood and the Red Cross refused me because my blood pressure was WAY up (yes, I mean WAY up ... almost stroke level). I was so scared I quit then and there. That first week was THE HARDEST ... heck, the first 48 hours was the MOST DIFFICULT of my entire life trying to beat this sucker. This was the first time I actually quit cold turkey too. But, so far, I think it probably works the best. It's the point where I said NO MORE. Oddly enough, I don't even get the cravings much anymore ... not even the psychological ones. At first when I did, I ate lots of popcorn. I don't know why the cravings went away so quickly this time, but I don't mind. OTOH, I can't say I don't miss it because there are times when I do. The worse is during my drive to and from work ... driving was my heaven, and when I do miss it, that's generally when it hits most.

For those of you still trying, and for those of you considering it, ANY and ALL methods are worth trying ... and if you fall back, it's NOT a failure ... it's only a TEMPORARY setback. Oh, and one other thing? Nobody ever said you had only so many #'s of attempts to quit. You get as many as you want. That's the beauty of it all ... you keep trying!

Good luck, and if anyone wants an ear or just someone to rant at while they're kicking the nasty weed, feel free to send me a message. Good luck, good luck ... and YOU CAN DO IT.

#100555 - Mon Aug 13 2001 11:03 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Rika Offline
Participant

Well now ... interesting posts. Since no one has posted since mid-July, I am wondering how people are doing with their attempts to quit?

I, for one, have been a smoker off and on since I was in college (don't ask how long ago that was.)

In any case, I quit just over a month ago ... my 3rd time for quitting over the past 12 years. The first two times were when I got pregnant. After my second son was born in '97, I didn't think I'd pick up the habit again but, alas, I did. That was about 4 years ago that I started up again after having quit for a period of about a year. (BTW, I had quit for about 2-1/2 years when I became pregnant with first son in 1989).

In any case, back on July 13, 2001, I went to donate blood and the Red Cross refused me because my blood pressure was WAY up (yes, I mean WAY up ... almost stroke level). I was so scared I quit then and there. That first week was THE HARDEST ... heck, the first 48 hours was the MOST DIFFICULT of my entire life trying to beat this sucker. This was the first time I actually quit cold turkey too. But, so far, I think it probably works the best. It's the point where I said NO MORE. Oddly enough, I don't even get the cravings much anymore ... not even the psychological ones. At first when I did, I ate lots of popcorn. I don't know why the cravings went away so quickly this time, but I don't mind. OTOH, I can't say I don't miss it because there are times when I do. The worse is during my drive to and from work ... driving was my heaven, and when I do miss it, that's generally when it hits most.

For those of you still trying, and for those of you considering it, ANY and ALL methods are worth trying ... and if you fall back, it's NOT a failure ... it's only a TEMPORARY setback. Oh, and one other thing? Nobody ever said you had only so many #'s of attempts to quit. You get as many as you want. That's the beauty of it all ... you keep trying!

Good luck, and if anyone wants an ear or just someone to rant at while they're kicking the nasty weed, feel free to send me a message. Good luck, good luck ... and YOU CAN DO IT.

#100556 - Mon Aug 13 2001 11:05 PM Re: Quitting Smoking
Rika Offline
Participant

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong