Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#100557 - Thu Apr 19 2001 04:34 PM House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

Does anyone have ideas for making things from around the house?

If you don't understand I'll fix it better...

#100558 - Thu Apr 19 2001 08:53 PM Re: House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

Do you mean crafts?

You can rock a cradle, but you can't rock a casbah!

#100559 - Fri Apr 20 2001 03:14 PM Re: House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

pretty much, yeah.........

#100560 - Fri Apr 20 2001 09:15 PM Re: House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

Got any of those old Mrs. Butterworths bottles laying around? I remember a few craft ideas for those. Then there,s always the old idea of turning soup and soda and beer cans into planters and pencil holders. Anything in particular your looking for?

#100561 - Thu May 03 2001 05:05 PM Re: House Stuff
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I can make a magazine into a Christmas angel... Just fold each of the pages down so it makes a little triangle, spray paint and put a styrofoam ball on the top for the head.

Editor for Television Category

#100562 - Thu May 03 2001 05:20 PM Re: House Stuff
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
I made a lamp and used some of my old books. I bought the parts for the lamp and drilled a hole through the books vertically for the base to go through and a horizontally in the bottom book for the cord to go through. It's pretty cool looking. I can also fan the books out for a different look.

#100563 - Sat May 05 2001 11:05 PM Re: House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

That's a good one Jojo, I've recently taken to making lamps out of those wire spools you get from the hardware stores, I did a couple of lighthouse ones that came out pretty neat looking, and a few that look like giant spools of thread! I'm currently experimenting with turning one into a revolving spice rack, and another one into a birdhouse.

Recycleing Rocks!

#100564 - Mon May 07 2001 09:42 AM Re: House Stuff
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
scibug you are indeed a talented one. You will have to share your tips on how to make some of these cool lamps. Have you ever made your own clocks from items around the house? A friend of mine made one from a record album and it's really easy to do.

I took an old head board that had three nooks to put odds and ends in and added a lower shelf and made a bookcase out of it. I marblized (sp) it and I was pleased with the results.

#100565 - Wed May 09 2001 11:14 PM Re: House Stuff
Anonymous
No longer registered

How to best explain this:? First, if the Spool in question is large enough with a large hole, you can easily slide it onto a pre-existing lamp base (Available at your local craft store) and decorate it to your taste. I like nautical themes, so I wraped the body of the spool with rope, then I bought a lighthouse cutout, painted it, and attached it to the spool. I finished it off with some sand that I glued to the base to give it that beach look.

For smaller spools with smaller holes, I got the lamp parts at a hardware store, and assembled them according to instructions I got from a wireing/electronics book. for the "feet" of the lamp, I used those wooden craft balls fixed to the bottom with a strong epoxy. Decorate in a similar fashion.

I've always been better at showing than telling. Let me know if this does'nt make any sense!

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong