Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100594 - Tue May 08 2001 09:45 AM Tips For Effective Communication At Work
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Please share your tips on effective communication at work.

Learn Tips For Effective Communication At Work
By Maureen Bauer, Human Resources Professional

One of the most common complaints that employees have about their organization is lack of effective communication. Regardless of what level position an individual holds, most would say that they would be happier if their company's communication system were improved.

The editors of Communication Briefings (Vol XIX, No. I) offer related advice in their article titled, "Communicating Better at Work". They state that employees often claim that management gives lip service to open communication but does little to really communicate with them.

This ineffective communication, the authors argue, often results in poor cooperation and coordination, lower productivity, undercurrents of tension, gossip and rumors, and increased turnover and absenteeism.

Their article goes on to explain what managers can do to improve their level of communication with their employees. However, I believe that the same tips can be helpful for anyone who interacts with coworkers on a daily basis. Very seldom do individuals understand their role in everyday miscommunication. Most people, if asked about the reason for a communication problem, point their finger at someone else.

Rather than waiting for the system to get better, you may be able to advance your career by actively working to assure that you are communicating as effectively as possible. Given the advice below (adapted from "Communicating Better at Work"), consider what areas may be communication pitfalls for you and strive to correct them.

[list]

• Two-way street: Understand that communication is a two-way street. A conversation isn't complete when you have stated your information. Be sure to wait for a response before ending the conversation.
  • Face-to-face: Try to get some face-to-face time with your manager and coworkers. E-mail is great, but don't let them forget what you look like. When communicating sensitive issues, it is especially important to do so face-to-face.
  • Is it clear?: Ask yourself each time you communicate, is the message is clear? Most confusion and frustration in the workplace is caused by failing to be specific. For example, you may tell a coworker that you need the report as soon as possible. In your mind that means that you will have it within two days. Your coworker might hear your statement as: "I can adjust the timeframe to fit my priority list." It would be better to state that you need the report by the end of the day on Friday.
  • Listen: The best way to gain respect of your manager or coworkers is to be a good listener. This will bolster their opinion of you as a team member and they will more likely listen to you in return. A helpful hint -- ask questions to clarify your understanding and to show interest in the subject.
  • Build credibility: One of the fastest ways to lose credibility in someone's eyes is to betray their trust. When communicating with coworkers, only pass on information that is appropriate for the workplace. Being part of the rumor mill will not demonstrate good communication skills to the management.

Source: Copyright 2001 by TheSanDiegoChannel

#100595 - Fri May 11 2001 10:39 AM Re: Tips For Effective Communication At Work
    JoJo2 Offline
    Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
    I was an administrator for a large corporation for a number of years and I have found that effective communication skills is essential when it comes to running a successful business. I would also make it a point to treat each individual with respect and dignity. You can't expect for your employees to respect you without showing them respect first. Remember you are the leader. I found a good article this morning on the Necessary Traits of an effective boss:

Work on developing the more general attributes that are important to almost any goal:

* Success comes more easily to those who have a pleasing personality. This is not to say that you should bend to everyone's wishes or scrape and bow. Rather, develop an attitude that is respectful of other's opinions but true to your own beliefs. Be flexible - don't be so rigid that you can't accept another's opinion when it is superior to your own. Be willing, even eager, to learn from others. Changing your opinion in light of more facts is a sign of strength of character, not weakness. Be willing to extend a helpful hand, be a team player. Develop a sense of humor. Be polite and caring - but be your own person.

* Learn to guard against emotional responses. You are susceptible to errors of judgment when you let your emotions get in the way. Of course, everything we do is done based somewhat on our emotions, but strong emotions have little place in decision making. Hold your emotions in check. Try to delay decisions if you are in an emotional state. Learn to ignore your emotions and use reasoning to arrive at your decisions.

* Develop the habit of enthusiasm. Enthusiasm works like a magnet - it draws people and success. It's a pleasing personality trait that people like to be a part of. It seems to be contagious - the people around you become enthusiastic, too, and become more cooperative. Enthusiasm sparks initiative and singleness of purpose.

Click here to read more.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong