Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1006266 - Sun Aug 25 2013 08:07 AM MAIN site mail messages
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey
England UK
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but is there anyway the system can retain sent messages not just received ones.

If that can't be done, including the received message in the sent one when replying would be very useful.

#1006340 - Sun Aug 25 2013 10:54 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
There is nothing to stop you copy and pasting the message into your reply, many people do this. You can also send the message to yourself but it will only remain for two months.

#1006408 - Sun Aug 25 2013 02:54 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

England UK
Thanks for your reply Sue.

I already copy/paste the received message into my reply but the problem is that many people who then reply don't do the same and therefore the communication is broken.

Posting messages to oneself is an option, but this involves copying your message into something like word and pasting it back to FT to yourself so you can send it to yourself. If you do this for every message your personal 'in-box' gets very confusing.

What you suggest is all 'work around'.

Ideally of course, it would be nice if each team had a forum facility as good as this one, but the facility for received messages (which show up as 'original message' when you press the 'Reply to Player who sent note') to be automatically included in your reply would make things a lot easier.

Terry, please consider.

Jennings (Ian)

#1006485 - Sun Aug 25 2013 09:09 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
You could try copying and pasting your sent messages into your email, and just set up a separate folder of sent FT messages.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#1006486 - Sun Aug 25 2013 09:14 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
There are many workarounds, but I think Jennings is asking for a functionality that exists elsewhere to be applied to the PM system on the main side of the site. If it can't be done, that is fine, but I don't think a workaround is being asked for, just info as to whether the enhancement can be provided.

#1006707 - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:42 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
I actually see this a lot, and not just on here... Someone asks for something and the response is, "Well, if you do this and this and this, it'll give you something like that." Who wants to go to all that trouble? Just give me what I ask for, not a big run-around about how I can sort of get it another way. You get this from salesmen a lot, too, ask them for something specific and they'll say, "Well, this is almost the same," sorry, almost the same is not the same. Worse yet is the response, "You don't really want that." I just walk away when I get that. How do YOU know what I want and don't want, and who are you to tell me what I want? I once lamented that you can no longer get Hershey Krackel bars, and I got a slew of responses from people saying, "Nestle Crunch is the same thing," and, "You can get the little ones in the miniature package." No, it isn't the same thing, and the little ones are okay, but it's not the same, either. Let people want what they want without trying to convince them that a) they don't need it, or b) they don't really want it. Thank you.

#1006708 - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:50 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I think that the other responses on here are just temporary fixes. There's no way of anyone but Terry knowing if retaining messages is doable with our mail system and until his response, there are options here.

Sue, the only staff member to respond thus far, and she was giving the facts of where we are now. Likewise, Dave gave an alternative. They may not be convenient, or perfect, but I don't think it was done to skirt the issue, or try to convince someone that these are better options than the one posed.

#1006709 - Mon Aug 26 2013 03:06 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
It's doable, it just hasn't been a high priority. I can add it back to the list though if enough people think it's important.

#1006759 - Mon Aug 26 2013 07:30 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I would love a sent folder!

And an "are you sure you want to delete this message" page. If I had a nickel for every time I clicked delete instead of reply...

#1006774 - Mon Aug 26 2013 09:32 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Yes please...thanks T!

#1006777 - Mon Aug 26 2013 10:59 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Yes please Terry - After a while, you get lost in messages and have no idea what a person is on about smile

#1006806 - Tue Aug 27 2013 12:26 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
If possible, I say Yes, please too.

I get replies and I don't remember what I've written & have no idea what the other person is referring to.
But I think have "Save sent message" should be an option & not the default setting.

#1006814 - Tue Aug 27 2013 01:28 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
I'd be in favour of this - there's times I can't remember whether I did send someone that message or whether I went to quickly play Word Wizard before the turn of the hour and then forgot about it.

~(_8(I)

#1006820 - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:07 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

England UK
Thanks, Terry. I think it's a case of "if you don't ask, you don't get".

I would see the system working something like this:

1) Automatically include the 'Original message' in the reply, so that the recipient knows what it was.

2) Create a new folder to hold sent messages (which would look like the current mail folder but without the option to reply. (There's already a convenient space next to the "mail(xx)". The latter being renamed "In-mail".

3) Pressing 'send this message' would automatically send a copy of the note to the sender's "Sent-mail" folder. (Personally I wouldn't as Mirajane suggests make this optional, as sent messages would always be able to be deleted as we can currently do with In-mail).

Not telling you what to do, of course. smilee

Edited by Jennings (Tue Aug 27 2013 02:44 AM)

#1006947 - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:06 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Yes please, Terry grin

#1006956 - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:27 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
What if, as Jennings said, the original message was simply put at the bottom of the message? It could even include a drop down option to include all previous notes sent with that conversation (with the same RE: title) able to be pulled up so you can see the entire conversation.

Edited by salami_swami (Tue Aug 27 2013 10:27 AM)

#1006963 - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:08 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

England UK
Terry, whilst you're looking at this could you consider increasing the time limit messages are retained from the current two months to say one or two years.

I've just had a team member return after a considerable period of sickness and she is worried that members might have sent her messages which she can know longer see, and respond to.

#1007031 - Tue Aug 27 2013 04:46 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

I agree with all of the above, as well as leaving messages to "ferment" for more than two months. I missed a few messages myself when I was away (despite the fact that I "appeared" to be here, I really wasn't lol). Two years seems a "bit much" storage cost-wise, how 'bout six months?

#1007101 - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:03 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
How odd, I was just thinking this morning that I wish the original sendee's message was included on the bottom of our reply automatically.

(Salami, I've also lost count of the number of times I've accidentally hit delete instead of reply. Freud of course would say that was no accident, but it's annoying. What if I recieve a marriage proposal?! From a very rich gentlemen? From a very rich, very elderly gentleman?)

#1007102 - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:03 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Receive ie

#1007113 - Wed Aug 28 2013 12:23 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Creedy]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Creedy
What if I recieve a marriage proposal?! From a very rich gentlemen? From a very rich, very elderly gentleman?)

You would, of course, inform him that you are otherwise engaged and immediately refer him to me. (Might this very rich, very elderly gentleman have a dodgy ticker perchance? shocked )

#1007135 - Wed Aug 28 2013 02:50 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Here's a situation where the messages have gotten off-topic, but I have to respond to the above as a perfect case of what I told a friend... My friend Lou is 68 and single, and dates younger; he was lamenting having to tell women that he's 70 years old in a couple of years, and I said, "Don't say you're 70, say you're 90 with a weak heart and a fat bank account."

To return to the topic at hand, add my yes vote to the above about having a sent mail folder, inclusion of the previous message in the response, and a somewhat longer persistence to the messages.

#1007136 - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:00 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Oh dear, guilty as charged. Sorry, Jennings smile

(He's our Team Leader. I think he's used to it)

#1007139 - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:49 AM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Jennings]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I think we're all used to it, Creedy! And it adds a lot to the fun in Fun Trivia.

#1007346 - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:25 PM Re: MAIN site mail messages [Re: Creedy]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

England UK
Originally Posted By: Creedy
Oh dear, guilty as charged. Sorry, Jennings smile

(He's our Team Leader. I think he's used to it)

I certainly am, Pat. smilee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Terry