Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100774 - Sat Jul 07 2001 10:51 AM Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
If you check out the thread about 'cleaning personalities' you will have seen that I am nothing short of a slut around the house when it comes to housework This presents me with a slight problem, I started 'cleaning' just now, yes you read that correctly, me cleaning! Oh wow! Now we are talking serious filth here so I need help.... how can I make the house sort of pristine (I will settle for not too dirty) in just a matter of hours?

I have just entered the 'guest bedroom', now when I tell you that it was the bedroom of my son until he left home, then my daughter and her boyfriend have used it when he has been over to stay you might get the picture..... especially about my son (sorry guys but teenage boys are not all as clean and tidy as you ). The paintwork on the door has now been scrubbed, I am wondering if I can take wire wool to pine furniture as I dread to think what that is on the bedside cabinet I think that I have removed most of the black mould from the window frames

Now if the guest was only popping in for an hour or two I would just empty out a couple of cupboards all over the floor, place a vacuum cleaner in the middle of the floor together with a box of cleaning materials, spray the air with furniture polish and pretend to be spring cleaning.... but I can't do that when she is staying for a few days, I don't think that she will believe me

HELP!

#100775 - Sat Jul 07 2001 11:51 PM Re: Help!!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I guess getting a Mountie to help isn't possible, is it?

When I'm cleaning for a guest, I start days ahead of time. I'm not sure that this will work for you, as you're doing it all in one day, but maybe the concept of it will work.

I do one room a day. That's it. Nothing more. I'm NOT allowed to clean another room - no matter how much time I have left over, initiative I have, or whatever. It's ONE room only. By doing that, I take away the "oh, my goodness, this task of cleaning my whole home is just too large!" feeling and also make sure that the one room I clean that day is spotless. All the furniture has to be dusted, the floor vacuumed, etc. By doing it that way, my chore is broken up into much more manageable chunks. And, by the end of the set time period, I have a sparkling home! (Of course, doing it this way requires that the first room remains clean after the first day! Can't clean the bathroom then have it dirty by the time I get to the bedroom day! But, I find that I'm so excited to have cleanliness around me that I instinctively keep it clean.)

Maybe if you break your day into chunks and look at this as a "this hour, I'm only going to do this" thing, it'll help. And, take occasional breaks. Reward yourself for completing a room.

Good luck, Sue! (And, if all else fails, send away for that Mountie!)

#100776 - Sat Jul 07 2001 11:57 PM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

quote:
But, I find that I'm so excited to have cleanliness around me that I instinctively keep it clean.
Oh Linda, just don't come and visit me, you would HATE it!

#100777 - Sat Jul 07 2001 11:13 PM Re: Help!!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Sue, you sound like a true soulmate

(Psst, Sue, why not tell your guest that smoke damage to your home has necessitated that the two of you spend all of your time in a lovely nearby hotel ).

One always hears people bragging about how orderly and fastidious they are in keeping house.

And we are bombarded by ads for a zillion household cleaning products--everything must shine and twinkle and gleam.

Are we all just brainwashed?

Are we really born with genes that make us want to wipe away every fingerprint on a wall, or polish every knob and floor in our home?

Is Sue possibly not the only one among us who would rather not spend her time erasing all signs of human habitation?

Are there any other brave souls here who can admit to a little chaos and disorder in their home environment?

Judging by the Cleaning Personalities thread, we seem to have quite a few Dirt Dodgers around.

Should we all hang our heads in shame?

I say it is time for the Dirt Dodgers to unite and be proud!

Dust happens

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: chelseabelle ]

#100778 - Sat Jul 07 2001 11:29 PM Re: Help!!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Grrrr!!! Sue,how many times do I have to tell you that I am coming over to see YOU, not inspecting like an army sergeant checking the family quarters. Apparently they wear white gloves and run their hands along the top of doors! I shall not be doing that. Perleeese!!!!

#100779 - Sun Jul 08 2001 12:11 AM Re: Help!!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

But, ren, you tell Sue one thing but society, advertising, and years and years of cultural indoctrination tell her another.

You can't let a guest visit when your house is a mess! You have to clean, otherwise, what will people think of you?

Well, I'm not quite sure that you can judge much about character from a person's household cleaning habits. And I'm sure that some people (most likely ren) don't make any judgements based on those things.

But, let's face it, guilt about being a Dirt Dodger can run pretty deep. So we get our homes in order for "public display".

We urge each other to be proud individualists in other areas of our lives--so why not this one?

Dirt Dodgers--Be Proud! Throw off those chains of guilt! Throw down those hideous mops and dustclothes!

Are you brave enough to do that?

Dust Happens

#100780 - Sun Jul 08 2001 12:23 AM Re: Help!!
mcbyrd13 Offline
Participant

Loc: Amarillo, TX, USA
Sue,

How rude is it to put your guest up in a nice B&B for the duration of the stay? That way you won't have to clean the entire house and she will have complete privacy. The time you spend together will be meaningful without the stress.

I also have less than perfect housekeeping habits, so I really feel for you. Keep us posted.

#100781 - Sun Jul 08 2001 02:47 AM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

For someone as work-shy as me I have the most impressive array of cleaning products and appliances... perhaps subconsciously I think that just having the equipment will somehow achieve the desired effect I have no end of products (courtesy of QVC) which mean that you can throw all the others away... but I don't!

As for you Ren, this is all part of my evil plan for you... get you feeling so guilty that you will waltz in and immediately don an apron and start tackling the housework

My daughter came downstairs just now (9.30am Sunday) to demand to know what I was hammering late last night... the cats want to know too! Twelve months on I have actually hung the graduation photos of my two children - they had been deposited on the table for yonks See, I just needed an excuse, a boot up the backside!

Welcome to the mad house The Duke, nice to have you on board.... now if you feel like grabbing a duster and a can of polish I surely can use the help

#100782 - Sun Jul 08 2001 01:51 PM Re: Help!!
mcbyrd13 Offline
Participant

Loc: Amarillo, TX, USA
Sue - You inspired me. I am cleaning one room and doing a mountain of laundry. BIG project at work and the house reflects it.

Thanks for the welcome. This seems to be a friendly place to meet and talk to people.

#100783 - Sun Jul 08 2001 02:40 PM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Tip of the week.... do not wipe that small piece of wall to see if the grime comes off... it does, and makes the rest look even dirtier

The good news is that the guest bedroom is as ready as it is going to be, even down to the clean towels on the bed! The door is firmly closed to ensure that no dust gets in there!

#100784 - Sun Jul 08 2001 03:17 PM Re: Help!!
Thunder Offline
Mainstay

Loc: VA
4 gallons of petrol (see, I can speak British) and some matches will cure your house cleaning problems once and for all...

#100785 - Sun Jul 08 2001 03:24 PM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

I guess that would also get rid of my ants

#100786 - Sun Jul 08 2001 03:27 PM Re: Help!!
Pinhead Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon...
I am 'officially' announcing the founding of D.D.A....'Dirt Dodgers Anonymous'

I am coming clean...
I too am a Dirt Dodger (and proud of it)...

We need volunteers...Who will step up to the plate and not dust it??

#100787 - Sun Jul 08 2001 03:28 PM Re: Help!!
Thunder Offline
Mainstay

Unless they are Ants in your Pants.
(or is that Pantaloons?)

In that case, consult your local physician!

#100788 - Sun Jul 08 2001 03:33 PM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Ooooh, you have been peeping at my washing line!

Let's burn the dusters!

#100789 - Sun Jul 08 2001 04:49 PM Re: Help!!
Thunder Offline
Mainstay

You're tempting me to say something like...

"Yes, I can see pants that big from across the Atlantic Ocean"... but you know I'd never say that

Love ya hon!

#100790 - Sun Jul 08 2001 05:20 PM Re: Help!!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

We have finally found a sanctuary--DDA.

I am a Dirt Dodger and proud of it! I too have a most immpressive collection of cleaning products (all in pristine, untouched containers ).

And Sue's point about not wiping one small spot of grime off the wall couldn't be truer. It throws everything else off balance.

It's best to leave everything "as is" because once you start cleaning there is no turning back. You are sucked right into the void and the voices begin crying out to you--"Over here, you missed a spot", "There is a footprint on the floor you just washed", "With the clutter off the furniture look how grimy and shabby it looks", "The dust is beginning to settle again", "Are the lampshades in need of washing?", "If you try harder you can get those stains out of the carpet".

Oh, the voices!

It is far better not to get sucked into that void.

#100791 - Sun Jul 08 2001 09:53 PM Re: Help!!
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
A petrol fire would also eliminate Derek, Thunder (don't ask) and that would never do. I repeat ...thanks Sue, for all your trouble, but , although it is wonderful of you , I shall just feel guilty if you ever visit mine. I also would like to welcome "The Duke" . Until I saw the address I thought our own outspoken and very famous sidekick of Liz had at last found a place to post his views... but no. Welcome to the funny farm anyway,Duke!

#100792 - Sun Jul 08 2001 11:03 PM Re: Help!!
Anonymous
No longer registered

OMG, look what the cat brought in. It was all quiet on the front but here we go more **** from the the Fab 5.... What do ya think about that people. Was it just by chance that this happened.... this group is happy as a pig in sh..... they are back in force.

#100793 - Sun Jul 08 2001 11:44 PM Re: Help!!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Nothing chance about the fact that ren has travelled from Hong Kong to Canada just to meet PurpleFan. Or that she's now in London and will hopefully connect with Sypher. Or that her next stop will be Jersey--where she is going to meet Sue.
I'd say that FT has given rise to some pretty meaningful real life relationships

Sue, you and ren will have a great time together. Just keep that guest room door closed until she arrives

#100794 - Mon Jul 09 2001 01:48 AM Re: Help!!
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
It WAS quiet wasn't it? Wonder why. Remind me to present you with a Thesaurus , Wooldog.You might find some new ways to express your thoughts in there.
Yes , CB , it is lovely to be meeting so many genuine people, with the ability to converse intelligently and with some degree of originality of thought, as I make my way round the world.

#100795 - Mon Jul 09 2001 04:44 AM Re: Help!!
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
No Wooldog - make that the Super Six!
Sue - CHILL OUT!!! It could be worse - I've got to pack my entire house up AND clean to a Mother coming down level of cleanliness before Friday. Plus my flat is scruffy because its become the designated party venue around here.

How on earth did I accumulate so much stuff (I've only been here 2 years) - I'm my own worst enemy - knowing I move this weekend, what did I do yesterday - I went to Ikea and bought even more stuff - including a 2 foot long stripy cuddly cat (called Spot) which I just had to have to go in my room at university. How all this stuff is going to fit in my car to go up to my mums I don't know!
Send me the entire Mounted Police - I need the help!

#100796 - Mon Jul 09 2001 11:33 PM Re: Help!!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

You really wouldn't want to see what my cat drags in.... then leaves on the kitchen floor. Ren, just make sure that you look where you are walking when you go into my kitchen, there are frequently nasty bits left.

[Edited by Sue.... apologies to those who might have queasy tums, I tend to forget at times that you don't all live in rural areas and are therefore not used to similar sights.]

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: sue943 ]

#100797 - Mon Jul 09 2001 11:39 PM Re: Help!!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Ewwww, Sue, that's disgusting! I thought you were kidding when you said you needed to clean up a bit! I was thinking dusting the coffeetable - I had no idea you meant gizzards and things on the floor! Sounds like Derek has his work cut out for him.

#100798 - Mon Jul 09 2001 11:41 PM Re: Help!!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

And, rabbit innards? Ick! Triple disgusting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong