Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#100812 - Sat Jul 07 2001 04:45 PM First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

I think we should all know some first aid, it would be helpful to. You never know when it will come in handy.

Fishhook in Skin

Force the tip of the fishook out of the skin. Then cut the tip of the fishook off, and bring it back out of the skin. Apply soap and warm water and wrap with a bandage.

Hyperventiliation

First of all, hyperventiliation is a lack of carbon dioxide in the blood caused by breathing too fast. You want to try to calm the person down, lower their breath rate, and if possible have them breate into a paper bag. I think, but am not sure, repeated cases of hyperventiliation will lead to asthma. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Hypothermia

Plain and simple: Get them warm. Give them warm drinks, but never hot! There is nothing worse than going directly from cold to hot. Remove wet clothing, get them a sleeping bag, anything you can do to warm them up.

Puncture

Encourage the wound to bleed! Yes, you heard me right. Of course, this is for a small puncture. Wash with soap and warm water.

More to come!

#100813 - Sat Jul 07 2001 04:52 PM Re: First Aid
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
CHOKING If a person is still able to cough, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Coughing is the body's instinctive way of ridding itself of something caught in the throat. If they start to gag and put their hand over their throat (in the internationally accepted "I'm choking" gesture), that's when you start Heimlich.

And, never, ever let a person who is coughing uncontrollably run to the bathroom alone. They may be choking to death in there. Follow them (regardless of whether they say you don't need to) and stay until the danger is clear. The Red Cross says that choking in bathrooms is very common, because people get embarrassed to be coughing.

#100814 - Sat Jul 07 2001 05:17 PM Re: First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yes Linda, that is probably the most important thing never to do in first aid - never do the Heimlich maneuver on a choking person. It may cause serious rib fractures. As a matter of fact, never ever do the Heimlich maneuver or CPR on a person that is alive and does not require first aid.

Blisters

If you find a hot spot on your toe, get a piece of moleskin out and cut it for there is a circle in the middle. Layer these "donuts" about two layers high. If there is already a blister, sterilize a needle with fire and pop the blister. Make sure you sterilize the needle!

#100815 - Sat Jul 07 2001 08:41 PM Re: First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

Boyscout

What should you do if someone has been stabbed (in the back for example). Should the knife be removed?

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: zozo ]

#100816 - Sun Jul 08 2001 08:22 AM Re: First Aid
zz Offline
Explorer

Loc: MI
Yeah i know i'm not boy scout , but i am a Boy Scout!
ok You should not remove it because blood will pour out and you will bleed to death, instead the person should be left there while you go for help, You should not move them unless they will die for sure if you don't (like a fire)

#100817 - Sat Jul 14 2001 07:25 PM Re: First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

Umm . . . zozo . . . lets just pray you are never in that situation. You should apply pressure and assuming the knife is in the back there is a likelier chance of a fatality. Also umm what zz said. Hope that helps.

#100818 - Sun Jul 15 2001 07:30 PM Re: First Aid
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
Before starting the heimlich maneuver, ask "do you need help" if the person can't speak they need help.

#100819 - Thu Jul 19 2001 09:55 AM Re: First Aid
Micki.M Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland
I know some First aid because I used to go to a little club and every week and we practiced First aid and I couldnt remember all of it and I was always confused

#100820 - Thu Jul 19 2001 04:14 PM Re: First Aid
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Boyscout2: From what I remember from a first aid course, you should never drain a blister. The existing skin is a protective layer that keeps bacteria out.
I know that blisters can be painful and that draining a blister can provide relief, but the medico's advice was to not drain it.
What is the latest advice?

#100821 - Thu Jul 19 2001 04:19 PM Re: First Aid
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
As far as leaving or removing a knife from someone, always leave it alone. Let a surgeon do the removing. More tissue damage and bleeding will result from removing a knife than from leaving it.
If the person is dying with the knife in them, they will die more quickly when you remove it.

#100822 - Sat Jul 21 2001 08:34 AM Re: First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

FJohn - I will try to respond before I go to summer camp. I am looking in my first aid books right now. I have always been taught and have taught that you should drain a blister with a sterilized needle. I will go and look.

#100823 - Sun Jul 22 2001 06:39 AM Re: First Aid
Anonymous
No longer registered

Okay, I have found this answer in the First Aid merit badge book: If you are far away from help in the woods, drain the blister with a needle you have sterilized over a fire. The blister, however will soon be infected.

God, that confuses me, too.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong