Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#100865 - Mon Aug 13 2001 09:42 PM Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
Little Sid Offline
Participant

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia, C...
Do any of you know any effective treatments for getting rid of that aggravating water in my ear? Nothing hurts, yet (it's been a week!!), but the plugged sensation and muffled hearing is irritating. I've tried OTC eardrops, olive oil, white vinegar, shaking my head around, having my friends slap me (you'd be suprised how willing they are), and using a hair dryer, at a distance and a gentle setting. My parents absolutely refuse to take me to a doctor, even though nothing works. Any suggestions?
Think! In the restroom at work, the Boss had placed a sign directly above the sink. It had a single word on it -- Think! The next day, when he went to the restroom, he looked at the sign and right below, immediately above the soap dispenser, someone had carefully lettered another sign which read -- Thoap!

#100866 - Mon Aug 13 2001 10:31 PM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
Rika Offline
Participant

Loc: USA
Sid, show your folks my post to you. First of all, you should go to the doc to make sure there is no infection. With Swimmer's Ear several things can happen. I would get ear infections from swimmer's ear a LOT until I was about 13 or 14 ... and occasionally even again after that. It eased up though when my doctors finally realized what the problem was. So,

1. See the doctor ... have him/her verify there is no infection

2. For future swimming, hair washing, etc, use earplugs OR use cotton balls covered with vaseline to keep water out of your ears

3. Keep in mind that if your ears don't drain the water well, or if you are prone to infection, that water (or other fluid build-up) is a great source for reproduction of bacteria that can cause infection.

Hopefully, they'll take an adult's word for the problem and get you in for a check. If not, how much of a problem is it to get services from a public health facility?

#100867 - Tue Aug 14 2001 07:28 AM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
Two drops of Sweet oil in each ear (available at your pharmacy) but only after you see a doctor to determine there is no other infection. You will have to wear a cotton ball in the ears after you put the drops in. It helps.

#100868 - Tue Aug 14 2001 08:13 AM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
If, all the above remedies didn't help, I think your problem could be deeper than the outer ear and you should be seen by a health care provider.

#100869 - Tue Aug 14 2001 03:32 PM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
Little Sid Offline
Participant

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia, C...
I've finally convinced my parents to take me to a doctor tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support!

Think! In the restroom at work, the Boss had placed a sign directly above the sink. It had a single word on it -- Think! The next day, when he went to the restroom, he looked at the sign and right below, immediately above the soap dispenser, someone had carefully lettered another sign which read -- Thoap!

#100870 - Tue Aug 14 2001 08:01 PM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
Great Litte Sid, let us know how you make out at the Doctors.

#100871 - Tue Aug 14 2001 10:01 PM Re: Swimmer's ear... HAAAAAALP!!!
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
Cool, I'm glad that you will got to the doctor. I'll be praying that it is not too serious.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong