Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >
Topic Options
#1000142 - Fri Aug 02 2013 07:42 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Question set 18:

armor is related to equip

armor means "equip with armor"

equip means "provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose"

bush is related to furnish

bush means "provide with a bushing"

furnish means "provide or furnish with"

Equip and furnish are too close together to show up in the same set. And I would disagree even with the obscure meaning of bush being related to furnish.

#1001046 - Wed Aug 07 2013 03:32 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
egression is related to feat
You said: exploit

egression means "the act of coming (or going) out"
feat means "a notable achievement"

departure is related to exploit
You said: feat

departure means "act of departing"
exploit means "a notable achievement"

No comment laugh

#1001469 - Thu Aug 08 2013 06:57 PM Minor error in Mind Melt
lacybear Offline
Participant

Loc: Sacramento California USA     
Found this in today's Mind Melt, set #23. (And, yes, I got it wrong...)

Opposites (Antonyms)
The opposite of piano is forte

piano means "used chiefly as a direction or description in music"
forte means "used chiefly as a direction or description in music"
tongue

#1001470 - Thu Aug 08 2013 07:24 PM Re: Minor error in Mind Melt [Re: lacybear]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
What's the error? They are opposites, they are both directions in music - they direct you to do opposite things. Piano means play softly and forte means play loudly.

#1001489 - Thu Aug 08 2013 08:59 PM Re: Minor error in Mind Melt [Re: guitargoddess]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm presuming the player didn't like the fact that the two descriptions were exactly the same (but as has been said, of course they SHOULD be, they're just at opposite ends of the same musical reference). It wouldn't be any different than asking for the antonym of hot, NOT picking cold and then being annoyed that the defintion for both was "a level of temperature")

: )

#1001545 - Thu Aug 08 2013 11:20 PM Re: Minor error in Mind Melt [Re: lacybear]
lacybear Offline
Participant

Loc: Sacramento California USA     
I was not annoyed or nor disliked the fact that the two descriptions were exactly the same. I honestly thought it was an error since I didn't realize they could both have the same definition, although opposite. So I reported it. Nothing more. No biggie.

#1003643 - Thu Aug 15 2013 09:12 PM Re: Minor error in Mind Melt [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Either I get a lot of these things or I just complain more than most...

Question Set 25:

[[knot is related to create from raw material

You said: floor

knot means "make into knots"
create from raw material means "make from scratch"

galvanise is related to floor

You said: create from raw material

galvanise means "to stimulate to action "
floor means "surprise greatly"]]

Only two people have gotten a 30/30 with that set. I have mentioned before how a one-word relationship could lead to strange associations... I don't even see the one-word relationship in the second pair.

#1003665 - Thu Aug 15 2013 11:50 PM Re: Minor error in Mind Melt [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Could a moderator change the thread title back to the original, please?

#1007832 - Fri Aug 30 2013 08:34 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Ten people have gotten this one right, so good on them, but I can't see any relation between these:

conk out is related to change

You said: alter

conk out means "stop operating or functioning"
change means "undergo a change"

automate is related to alter

You said: change

automate means "make automatic or control or operate automatically"
alter means "cause to change"

Alter and change are obviously much closer in meaning than conk out or automate is to either.

#1007834 - Fri Aug 30 2013 08:49 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
buoy is bright-colored; a float attached by rope to the seabed to mark channels in a harbor or underwater hazards

Which is fine (although poorly worded), except when the definition displayed is "brightly-colored". Has the first section always cut off everything after a semicolon?

#1008719 - Wed Sep 04 2013 09:43 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
helene23186 Offline
Participant

Loc: Nevada USA         
From Question Set 25 today:

juke house is related to spliff

juke house means "a small roadside establishment in the southeastern United States where you can eat and drink and dance to music provided by a jukebox"
spliff means "marijuana leaves rolled into a cigarette for smoking"

I ended up getting it right by process of elimination, but I have no idea why these two are linked...

#1009352 - Fri Sep 06 2013 09:51 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Question set 13, today:

sociopath is related to neurotic

sociopath means "someone with a sociopathic personality"
neurotic means "a person suffering from neurosis"

A sociopath is not "a person suffering from neurosis". And it is an insult to people that suffer from this to equate them with a "sociopath."

This relationship of words shows that whatever matched the two together does not come close to understanding the terminology.

#1009412 - Sat Sep 07 2013 06:54 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
jules44 Offline
Participant

Loc: Bristol Gloucestershire UK   
Question set 25 yesterday:

chess club is related to guild
You said: gild
chess club means "a club of people to play chess"
guild means "a formal association of people with similar interests"

sorority is related to gild
You said: guild
sorority means "a social club for female undergraduates"
gild means "a formal association of people with similar interests"

Guild and Gild are just alternate spellings in this instance and indeed the definition given is identical.

#1009765 - Mon Sep 09 2013 12:18 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Another two that shouldn't be in the same set:

birth-control reformer is related to reformist
birth-control reformer means "a social reformer who advocates birth control and family planning"
reformist means "a disputant who advocates reform"

feminist is related to meliorist
feminist means "a supporter of feminism"
meliorist means "a disputant who advocates reform"

#1010101 - Wed Sep 11 2013 04:34 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Here's another pair from today where there are two alternatives that have identical definitions:

The opposite of nonconformity is conformation
You said: conformity
nonconformity means "failure to conform"
conformation means "acting according to certain accepted standards"

The opposite of noncompliance is conformity
You said: conformation
noncompliance means "the failure to obey"
conformity means "acting according to certain accepted standards"

Needless to say, as you can see I got them the wrong way round! wink

#1010108 - Wed Sep 11 2013 06:11 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I had that set too, and got those wrong plus a couple of other near matches. I think it's probably the worst set I've seen for 'guess which match the computer wants'.

#1010265 - Thu Sep 12 2013 06:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Indeed - Set 23 was dreadful! I only got 25 right, and still came top of the set!

#1011099 - Tue Sep 17 2013 10:19 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Question Set 18 today...

digging up is related to feat

digging up means "the act of digging up something (especially a corpse) that has been buried"
feat means "a notable achievement"

Hopefully digging up a corpse has not been a notable achievement in any FT player's life. Perhaps you can disable the word "feat" itself? This is at least the second time it has shown up with an unrelated word.

gaseousness is related to consistency

gaseousness means "having the consistency of a gas"
consistency means "the property of holding together and retaining its shape"

I don't think so. If there's anything a gas DOESN'T do, it's retain its shape.

#1011104 - Wed Sep 18 2013 03:32 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Out of interest, which section were those in?

IMHO:

The point of the game ( as far as I can see :)) is to sort and match the best combinations rather than find the ultimate definition. Usually a match becomes clear using the process of elimination, which is a main part of the game. The suffix "-ness" could imply "consistency"; and the action or act of digging anything up could fit the description of "feat" which is a synonym for "deed" -- it depends on what other matches are being made.

The game matches words that relate to each other. In the first section they relate by definition and synonyms. In the second section they relate by being opposites or mirror pairs. In the the third section their relationship is less specific and requires more elimination skills because they merely have to have a known way to relate to each other.

gaseousness
Web definitions
having the consistency of a gas.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gaseousness
Thesaurus -- Related Words
Noun 1. gaseousness - having the consistency of a gas
bubbliness, frothiness, effervescence - the property of giving off bubbles
foaminess - the property of being foamy
consistency, eubstance, consistence, body - the property of holding together and retaining its shape; "wool has more body than rayon"; "when the dough has enough consistency it is ready to bake"

Edited by Chavs (Wed Sep 18 2013 03:50 AM)

#1011105 - Wed Sep 18 2013 03:49 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: HairyBear]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: HairyBear
Either I get a lot of these things or I just complain more than most...

Question Set 25:

[[knot is related to create from raw material

You said: floor

knot means "make into knots"
create from raw material means "make from scratch"

galvanise is related to floor

You said: create from raw material

galvanise means "to stimulate to action "
floor means "surprise greatly"]]

Only two people have gotten a 30/30 with that set. I have mentioned before how a one-word relationship could lead to strange associations... I don't even see the one-word relationship in the second pair.

They are difficult ones, a little obscure, but their supplied definitions do make sense.

I wouldn't have thought to put knot and floor together as a combination. I probably wouldn't have got 'create from raw materials' either, lol! But I can see the connection - when you knot fibres to make a rope or macrame, for example, you are creating something; just like knitting a jumper is creating it from scratch.

To surprise someone enough to floor them certainly describes stimulating someone into an action, but I may well not have put those two together either.

Does galvanise mean to create from raw material? The dictionaries I looked at describe it as applying a cover, coat, protective layer etc.
------------------

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/galvanise
Verb 1. galvanise - to stimulate to action ; "..startled him awake"; "galvanized into action"
galvanize, startle
ball over, blow out of the water, floor, shock, take aback - surprise greatly; knock someone's socks off; "I was floored when I heard that I was promoted"
2. galvanise - cover with zinc; "galvanize steel"
galvanize
coat, surface - put a coat on; cover the surface of; furnish with a surface; "coat the cake with chocolate"
3. galvanise - stimulate (muscles) by administering a shock
galvanize
shock - subject to electrical shocks

---------------------

verb
[with object]

1 shock or excite (someone) into taking action:the urgency of his voice galvanized them into action

2 (often as adjective galvanized) coat (iron or steel) with a protective layer of zinc:an old galvanized bucket

Origin:

early 19th century (in the sense 'stimulate by electricity'): from French galvaniser (see Galvani, Luigi)
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/galvanize

Edited by Chavs (Wed Sep 18 2013 03:56 AM)

#1011624 - Sat Sep 21 2013 12:03 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
bluestocking Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Question Set 16:

Definitions: Used informally is related to blockheaded

It seems that the second part of the definition has been cut off. I imagine it was intended to say something like, "Used informally to refer to a stupid person." I got the correct answer, but only through the process of elimination.

#1011627 - Sat Sep 21 2013 01:27 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

"Does galvanise mean to create from raw material? The dictionaries I looked at describe it as applying a cover, coat, protective layer etc."

No, but it uses pretty close to raw materials, iron and zinc, so that's how I thought those two might be related. "Knot" and "floor", however, had me stumped. Galvanis/ze and stimulate I presume I would have gotten. I still can't see how flooring someone would stimulate him/her to action. Nor do I think knotting something is equivalent to creating something. If I knot a rope, it's still a rope. All these things come from that third section, which I'm really really starting to hate lately.

#1011690 - Sun Sep 22 2013 03:41 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Lones78 Online   FT-cool
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Unless you are looking at a knot in a floorboard?

#1011727 - Sun Sep 22 2013 08:30 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
Sellavee Offline
Participant

Loc: Coastal Suffolk
I always thought it was a shilaley (A wooden mace that originated from Ireland) but possibly there is an alternative spelling.

Pronounced Shi-lay-lee

#1011755 - Sun Sep 22 2013 10:24 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Sellavee]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: Sellavee
I always thought it was a shilaley (A wooden mace that originated from Ireland) but possibly there is an alternative spelling.

Pronounced Shi-lay-lee

There are a few variations in the spelling.
Shillelagh - wikipedia

Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >

Moderator:  Terry