Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#967801 - Sat Feb 16 2013 11:09 PM Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
After watching a season of "Downton Abbey" I was moved to get a season of "Upstairs, Downstairs" to compare the two. I have to say, on the whole I think I like the older series better - it's not as exciting, but has more human truth. A bit truer to its time, too, IMO.

What do you think?

#967808 - Sun Feb 17 2013 12:26 AM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Are you talking about the Upstairs/Downstairs that was produced in the 1970s, or the new Upstairs/Downstairs that was done in this decade?

I never saw the original one from the 1970s, but my mother said she used to watch it, and she loved it. I have seen the new one as it broadcast on PBS. It was very gripping and addicting!

#967812 - Sun Feb 17 2013 02:31 AM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
We all loved the original Upstairs Downstairs with such a superb cast. It was one of those series where everyone was at home watching.I don't ever feel like that with Downton Abbey.

#967846 - Sun Feb 17 2013 11:50 AM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I didn't realize there was a more recent one - I'm thinking of the one from the seventies.

#1007081 - Tue Aug 27 2013 08:37 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
mpkitty Offline
Participant

Loc: Spokane Washington USA       
I absolutely loved the original Upstairs/Downstairs in the 70s. Every episode was an event for me. Recently they have tried to recapture the magic with a new series, but it just has no magic for me. I could watch the original over and over, but the new one, well, just forget it.

#1009472 - Sat Sep 07 2013 07:15 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
mpkitty Offline
Participant

Who else liked the original Upstairs Downstairs better?

#1010547 - Fri Sep 13 2013 09:25 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
The only reason I have ever watched Downton Abbey is so that I will be more able to completely appreciate the inevitable parody in Mad magazine. Upstairs/Downstairs. Is Felicity Kendal in that? She won "Best Rear of the Year" during her go in "The Good Life", and deservadly so!

#1010591 - Sat Sep 14 2013 05:36 AM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I haven't watched the newer version of Upstairs/Downstairs but used to watch the old series avidly.

I do like Downtoan Abbey even if it isn't factually correct. I read in a newspaper that the lady who actually lives there has told the television company that they have errors but they don't take any notice, for instance they lay the table incorrectly also for the period in which it is set there would have been many more staff. She now tries not to look too hard, after all they are paying a great deal of money to film there.

We have the new series of Downton Abbey starting next week, I will be glued to the set.

#1011874 - Mon Sep 23 2013 02:06 AM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hampshire England UK         
The start of Downton Abbey was fantastic last night. Wasn't the under butler, Barrow, absolutely evil....bwahaha!

#1011970 - Mon Sep 23 2013 12:20 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
mpkitty Offline
Participant

Unfortunately, we in the U.S. won't see the new series until January, I believe. I do look forward to it.

Someone above asked, "Is Felicity Kendal in that?" about "Upstairs/Downstairs". I can answer that she wasn't in the original series, I don't know about the newer series.

#1015334 - Fri Oct 11 2013 01:48 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
IMDb gives no credits for Felicity Kendal after 2008; it has the new version of "Upstairs Downstairs" beginning in 2010. It's still in production, apparently, so Felicity could still show up.

(She didn't appear in the original "Upstairs, Downstairs" either, again, per IMDb.)

I've watched most of "Downton Abbey" but find myself feeling irritated about the ahistorical bits. Not so much the table settings (on which I'm no expert), but on the unlikely emotional connections between the Upstairs people and the Downstairs people. (They really CARE about each other...which seems inaccurate for the period.) "U,D" got closer to getting that right, I suspect.

#1015338 - Fri Oct 11 2013 03:52 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
I'm another who loved the old Upstairs, Downstairs. Such great stories! The below stairs characters were my favorites.

I tuned into the new one, had to see Rose. What a disappointment after her initial stint to see that she'd just been used to draw us old-times into the new series--and to give the producers credit, to bridge the gap. I continued watching for a few episodes, but eventually gave up.

My favorite Felicity Kendal series is Solo. Loved that one from the early 80s. I was fortunate that my PBS station carried a lot of British series back then. Wish they still did!

#1023090 - Mon Nov 25 2013 06:39 PM Re: Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs [Re: agony]
Coriolanus Offline
Participant

Loc: Auckland NZ
The original series of Upstairs, Downstairs was one of the great classic British television series. I looked forward to the updated version, and was sadly disappointed. It just didn't live up to the original, and I gave up on it after half a dozen episodes.
As for Downton Abbey, I have become quite addicted to it. We're about half way through series four here at present, and the story lines just seem to get better and better.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong