Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1010322 - Thu Sep 12 2013 01:22 PM Missing page - New Questions?
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
It seems that the Top Rated Recent Questions list is missing. Has been for a couple of days. Just mentioning it in case it's an oversight etc. Apologies if already covered.
http://www.funtrivia.com/today/bestrecent.cfm

#1010345 - Thu Sep 12 2013 02:25 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Thx for bringing to my attention. That would be because the game appears to have run out of new questions, and is a little confused. It's started throwing some of the older questions into the pool, but questions with the least number of plays. So, it doesn't really know what "recent questions" means anymore and is throwing a fit.

Hopefully should get back on schedule over the next few weeks.

#1010372 - Thu Sep 12 2013 03:55 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Hmmm... time for an Author Lounge Single Question Special? smile

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Sep 12 2013 03:55 PM)

#1010395 - Thu Sep 12 2013 07:35 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
I would get a challenge once or twice a week to add a question or two to the New Question Pool, but it has now been at least a month since I have had one of these challenges. All of my challenge questions have processed through at this point.

#1010401 - Thu Sep 12 2013 08:59 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: NYC New York USA              
I'm confused - if there isn't a queue of new questions waiting to be played, why is there still a long wait for accepted questions to get into the game?

I've always thought the problem was that there weren't enough New Question Game plays, and that is what made the wait between an accepted question and a rated question so long. (One way to help address that problem, by the way, would be to add the New Question Game to the dropdown menu of Games at the top of every page.)

Edited by portgleep (Thu Sep 12 2013 08:59 PM)
Its true that some of Winston Churchill's actions were praiseworthy. But personally, his treatment of India during and before WWII will always make me think of him primarily as an evil, powerhungry, racist murderer.

#1010408 - Thu Sep 12 2013 09:58 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Right now it's not much of a wait at all. I've seen questions I approved last week already back in for corrections.

#1010409 - Thu Sep 12 2013 10:19 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Terry]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
Thx for bringing to my attention. That would be because the game appears to have run out of new questions, and is a little confused. It's started throwing some of the older questions into the pool, but questions with the least number of plays. So, it doesn't really know what "recent questions" means anymore and is throwing a fit.

Hopefully should get back on schedule over the next few weeks.

I don't understand.

Are the questions in the New Questions not New Questions then? I did notice a few weeks ago that some of the questions in the "New Questions" game were from Quick Quiz questions that I've seen for months. But lately they seem to be new questions in the New Questions game. Or rather new questions for me.

As for my not understanding, I get confused easily.

#1010413 - Thu Sep 12 2013 10:43 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
The questions currently in there are completely new. The pool has dried up though.

So over the next few weeks I'll work some older questions that haven't been played very much. Most of those would appear to be new questions to most players anyway.

#1010420 - Thu Sep 12 2013 11:13 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: agony]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Originally Posted By: agony
Right now it's not much of a wait at all. I've seen questions I approved last week already back in for corrections.

True I noticed that. All my recent new questions were approved within days, and went online within 1-2 week, which used to take 6-8 weeks in the past.

#1010444 - Fri Sep 13 2013 04:14 AM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I've been submitting between five and ten questions a week (during a good week that is) for a while now, so I suppose I'd better pull my finger out! hahaha

#1010512 - Fri Sep 13 2013 02:25 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Wow. Well, 70,000+ single questions is not bad. Replaying old questions seems like a good idea actually -- my oldest questions (2011) were seeing around 400 plays, but the more recent ones were all less than 300. Would replaying the old questions affect the stats (and thus the QQ status) of the questions involved?

#1010514 - Fri Sep 13 2013 02:41 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

Perhaps there needs to be an update implemented to incentivize people to submit more questions? I like Wes's and Maninmidohio's ideas (Author Lounge Single Question Special/more single question daily challenges, respectively).

I've four other suggestions:
-A minibadge for, say, for 15 accepted questions. This would seem achievable to a lot of people for whom 50 is way too daunting a number and who aren't even trying currently. (And then, by the way, with 15 under their belt, they might realize how fun/easy it is, and try for higher badges)

-More points awarded for questions

-Putting a Single Question category into the Hall of Fame - this would be very easy to do since the data is already on the Single Questions page, and would, I think, make people more likely to go for higher amounts of questions

-This one would be incredibly easy to implement - add a line on the Questions homepage that totals the amount of plays of all your questions added together. I think this, apart from being very cool in and of itself, would make people realize how many people are actually playing their questions (200+ for each question), and would make them much more likely to write them.
Its true that some of Winston Churchill's actions were praiseworthy. But personally, his treatment of India during and before WWII will always make me think of him primarily as an evil, powerhungry, racist murderer.

#1010517 - Fri Sep 13 2013 03:14 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
-This one would be incredibly easy to implement

Is it?

Do you mean plays in the game proper or across all games?

#1010540 - Fri Sep 13 2013 08:10 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
http://www.funtrivia.com/questionpost_status.cfm

One of your ideas is already in place.

#1010548 - Fri Sep 13 2013 09:33 PM Re: Missing page - New Questions? [Re: Chavs]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

kyleisalive - I meant New Question Game plays, which would be very easy to implement because the data is already displayed for each question, you would just have to add them up.

Of course, across all games is something a lot of people have asked for and would be very cool, but is obviously a bigger task for Terry.

George95 - I didn't say # of questions accepted, I said # of total plays.
Or, if you were referring to my third suggestion, I meant put it on the Hall of Fame page, not just the Single Questions page.

Moderator:  Terry