Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1010558 - Fri Sep 13 2013 10:27 PM Guide to Fun Trivia?
Creedy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
Would it be possible - some time when you're not all snowed under with other stuff - to design a guide, with inserted pictures, on how to use Fun Trivia pages?

For new members, that is?

I'd do it if I had the expertise, but if I did, they'd probably all end up in Timbuktu.

I think a lot of people become overwhelmed and really confused when first joining (I sure did) and don't really know where anything is for months. The mail box for example. I didn't know it was there. Nor how to find the Team some one had invited me to join. Only accidentally found that again a few months later.

Written directions are a bit confusing as well on their own. A screen shot with an arrow pointing to the various links would be great, with a brief explanation of what the link was about.

That sort of thing. As a long term project?

#1010562 - Sat Sep 14 2013 01:17 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I like the idea. A big task, I'm sure, but perhaps well worth it.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1010563 - Sat Sep 14 2013 01:42 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I'm actually working on something like that in the form of a game - it however turns out more difficult to write than AQ - quite hard to structure in a way that it will be easy to use for new players.

#1010566 - Sat Sep 14 2013 02:01 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Yes, it's something that needs to be done. In fact, a lot of little things need to be revisited. The site has sort of been "added to" for years, and after a while parts of it become a little disjointed and sprawling. So, a few things can certainly be arranged a little more neatly too.

#1010568 - Sat Sep 14 2013 02:27 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
Creedy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
Great!

#1010625 - Sat Sep 14 2013 10:15 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
A site map of addressses in a tree form (or, another term, org chart)? Then you'd neeed to write the mouse roll over blurbs to accompany each location.

Edit: ssorry about the double typos. New wireless kkeyboard needs to be "broken iin". At least I hhope that accounts for iit. I've visited the Control ppanel and adjusted thhe time for keyyystroke reactions to no avail. I'm guessing sticky, fresh off the 'tree'' juices are gumming up certain keys..

Edited by mehaul (Sat Sep 14 2013 10:20 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1010635 - Sat Sep 14 2013 12:09 PM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
CmdrK Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nevada USA
Thanks for bringing this up, Creedy. There’s so much to do here now that a FAQ or guide is almost essential. Most of us need a refresher from time to time. And someone is always bringing up arcane terms like “Quizzyland.”

Thinking of my personal pet peeve: perhaps a screen shot of a quiz answer page with a big animated arrow pointing to the “Please Rate This Quiz!” box and a short explanation of why.

Edited by CmdrK (Sat Sep 14 2013 12:43 PM)

#1010686 - Sat Sep 14 2013 06:34 PM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: CmdrK]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: CmdrK
Thinking of my personal pet peeve: perhaps a screen shot of a quiz answer page with a big animated arrow pointing to the “Please Rate This Quiz!” box and a short explanation of why.

That's one of the first things to be learned in the newbie game under construction smile

#1010786 - Sun Sep 15 2013 10:03 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
On the long term I might appreciate a guide for Team Leaders as well. But the guide for newbies has more priority.

#1010985 - Mon Sep 16 2013 08:31 PM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I'm happy to create a road map or any other required task for navigation or description- I know from my mother recently so many basic issues logging in on each site and how to open a reply box (and the fancy one) I've literally been doing in my sleep for years. Let me know if the time comes.

#1011658 - Sun Sep 22 2013 12:43 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
nannywoo Offline
Participant

Loc: North Carolina USA
JanIQ, I was just thinking about a guide for team leaders as I was scrolling through earlier postings here. Someone tried starting a forum or chat once about that, but I haven't seen it since I first ran across it. I try to pass along to my team anything new I learn, but I'm not sure how many people who have joined our team have even found the message board. I'd welcome some team leader dialogue with anyone who's interested.

#1016706 - Sun Oct 20 2013 10:37 PM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
nannywoo Offline
Participant

Today, I need a team leader's guide! A new player showed up on our team a week or so ago, and when I clicked on the name at that time to welcome him or her, a message came up that the user account was no longer active. When I checked today to see what badges had been earned by team members over the last month or so, this "player's" name was all over the place - lots of impressive wins and four "Team Leader" badges! I'm grateful that admin took charge of that situation before I even noticed it, if indeed this is what happened.

A few weeks ago, we had another short-term player who wanted us to read his poetry and quickly jumped ship when we didn't become an admiring audience. We have some loyal players and have at least one player on the scoreboard for every game each day, with very few exceptions. But lately I feel that our team has become a magnet for people who join a team but have no intention of being team players. We want and need new members! Right now, we're set as "open to all" but I'm wondering if it would be better to screen people. I have no idea how I would be able to judge, but maybe having to ask will be too much work for non-players. Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

#1016748 - Mon Oct 21 2013 02:41 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: Creedy]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

I've messaged you - your team was one of quite a few subjected to a recent sizable attempt at trolling. It's resolved now.

#1016776 - Mon Oct 21 2013 06:50 AM Re: Guide to Fun Trivia? [Re: WesleyCrusher]
nannywoo Offline
Participant

Thanks, Wes.

Moderator:  Terry