Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#101130 - Thu Feb 28 2002 04:01 PM ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
janie_eva02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: British Columbia Canada
I hate physics! it's my worst science! Whenever I try to study for a physics test I keep falling asleep!! Any tips to prevent my sleeping during study time and general tips for studying for physics??
Much thanks!

#101131 - Thu Feb 28 2002 05:28 PM Re: ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
Egad! Don't say you hate physics! (Says the physics major) That's no good ... it's really a misunderstood science. Very kind in general.

Tips on studying for physics:

If you're falling asleep, is it because you're overtired? Sometimes a power nap (either 30 min or 3 hours - anything between those times generally makes me and my friends groggy) will work wonders, but you have to be sure you'll wake up at the appointed time. I suggest a combination of alarm clocks and loved ones - friends, family, roommates, etc.

If you're the type who can study listening to music, that might also keep you awake. Just blast something without words (or at least, without words that you understand) so that you don't get distracted by singing along (though I often break this rule in favor of U2 ... ah, Bono).

In terms of the actual studying: reading is great, understanding concepts is great, memorizing equations is great (assuming you're supposed to) - index cards will work wonders for the latter two, especially if you're studying with a friend. But the most important thing (for most physics tests, anyway) is to work problems. That's the only way you'll really understand how to do it, and it doesn't cut it to just read over the problems in the book. You have to do the problems yourself so that you'll know how to approach the problems on your test.

Old homework assignments are useful for this, if you've gotten them back - just get a fresh sheet of paper and try to do selected homework problems all over again. If you fail, you'll have a solution of your own to go over.

Good luck!

#101132 - Thu Feb 28 2002 07:44 PM Re: ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
Skeptik Offline
Participant

Loc: England
That was excellent advice given by CellarDoor, but if all else fails, try this method.

I've never tried this myself, so no guarantees, but have you ever thought of studying while you're asleep.

Read the information you need to know into a tape recorder and whack the headphones on when you visit the land of nod.

Some people swear by this method and are totally convinced that you really can absorb the facts when you are in a subconscious state.

I wish you the very best of luck with your exams.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Skeptik ]

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Skeptik ]

#101133 - Fri Mar 01 2002 06:27 AM Re: ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
If reading page after page of stuff bores you, you could try a physics experiment. Sometimes the book will have suggestions about experiments you can try and there are many physics labs that can be done with simple household objects and or a slinky.

Read out loud- maybe in a funny accent.

Try to find examples of physics in everyday activites.

Don't read while sitting in a comfortable spot (like a bed or couch) and definetly don't read it while lying in bed (unless you have insomnia)

Sing the words of a chapter to tbe tune of your favorite song.

Or find a buddy who will study with you and poke you if you show signs of slacking off or falling asleep.

#101134 - Mon Mar 04 2002 12:01 AM Re: ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
wimm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Houtvenne Belgium            
Hey, that was a good tip: find the everyday physics surrounding you...

And if that doesn't work: you might want to try some of the brilliant science quizzes around

#101135 - Tue Mar 05 2002 05:38 PM Re: ANY tips on studying for PHYSICS tests?
janie_eva02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: British Columbia Canada
um, right now in physics where doing a kinematics unit. I absolutely hate my teacher's tests he personally makes up! There nothing i have ever seen before! I have a kinematics midterm on monday and is there a way i can easily remember things for kinematics? By the way, the suggestions everyone posted are great, i can use them to study other courses aswell!

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong