Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#101174 - Thu Mar 14 2002 05:30 PM Authentically Irish...
Pinhead Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon...
If you'd like to drink as the Irish drink on this holiday, here are some suggestions.

Irish kids love blackcurrant juice. It comes in cans or pouches, and the concentrated syrup comes in bottles. The most common brand is Ribena™ -- you should be able to find it at most import stores.

For the adults, there are fun things you can do with stout beer. Try creating that pub favorite, the "Black and Tan," right in the comfort of your own home. The Black and Tan is simply a pint glass with two different beers, ale and stout, layered in it. The ale (the Tan component) goes in first; fill the glass just slightly less than half full with your favorite chilled Irish ale. Now comes the slightly trickier part: Pouring the stout (the Black component) so that it floats on top of the ale rather than mixing with it.

The easiest way to do this at home is to place a spoon over the glass, convex side up, and slowly pour the stout over the back of the spoon so it drizzles into the glass as gently as possible. Now, just allow the stout to settle for a minute, and then make a toast and drink up!

You can also have fun with an Irish version of the boilermaker. You'll need stout beer plus your favorite Irish whiskey and/or Irish cream liqueur. Fill a pint glass about 2/3 full with stout; fill a shot glass with either whiskey, Irish cream, or a combination of the two. Drop the shot glass into the pint glass, enjoying the bubbling and frothing effect it creates, and drink it in one gulp. (Be careful not to chip your teeth on the shot glass!) Cheers!

The Drinkin' O' the Green

Admit it -- drinking green stuff is fun, no matter how old or young you are.

If you're not so concerned with authenticity and just want to be festive, there are all kinds of green drinks you can serve to kids and adults, from fizzy punch with floating islands of lime sherbet to cocktails with a little crème de menthe shaken into them.

Here's a handy list of ingredients that will give your drinks that delightful emerald hue you're looking for:

*Crème de menthe liqueur
*Melon liqueur
*Green Chartreuse liqueur
*Green food coloring
*Crushed mint leaves
*Lime sherbet
*Pistachio ice cream
*Mint chocolate chip ice cream
*Lime-flavored gelatin
*Lime-flavored drink powder
*Lime-flavored punch
*Lime-flavored sports drink
*Lime zest
*Limeade

For green garnishes, there are mint leaves, lime slices and twists of lime zest, slices of kiwi, green olives, slices of cucumber, celery stalks, or even ice cubes made from green punch!

Kitchen Essentials: Stock up on beer mugs, pint glasses and shot glasses for a first-class party! And serve that special punch in one of our fun and festive punch bowls.

Drinks for All Ages

> Green Punch
> Rainbow Punch
> Somewhere Over the Rainbow
> Kiwi-Lime Refresher
> Lime-Pineapple Delight

Spirited Beverages
> Green Grog
> Irish Black Russian
> Irish Cream Liqueur
> Original Irish Cream
> St. Michael's Irish Americano
> Key Lime Pie...( yes, this is really a drink!)

Top 10 Tips to Enjoy the 'Luck of the Irish' on St. Paddy's Day:

1) It takes a lot more than Irish luck to get home safely. If you do choose to drink, be
sure to designate a driver.

2) St. Patrick's Day simply wouldn't be the same without green beer. To make your own,
just add a few drops of green food coloring to your favorite
beer.

3) Green clothing isn't optional -- it's mandatory! According
to Irish custom, school children actually pinch classmates who
don't wear green on this holiday.

4) Find a four-leaf clover. If you find one on St. Paddy's Day, it's double good luck.

5) If you see a cute guy or gal, make sure you have on your
"Kiss Me, I'm Irish" button.

6) Raise a toast to friends and family with the classic Irish
Blessing: "May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and,
until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

7) Catch a leprechaun if you can -- they are rumored to keep
hidden pots of gold at the end of rainbows!

8) Wear a shamrock to honor the memory of a great saint and
friend to the Irish people: St. Patrick.

9) For a good laugh over a glass of ale, ask your friends to
repeat this Irish tongue twister: "Here's to you and yours and to mine and ours;
and if mine and ours ever come across you and yours, I hope
you and yours will do as much for mine and ours as mine and
ours have done for you and yours."

10) Remember to drink in moderation. It's good common sense --
and that ain't no blarney!

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Pinhead ]

#101175 - Sun Mar 17 2002 01:01 AM Re: Authentically Irish...
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
quote:
6) Raise a toast to friends and family with the classic Irish
Blessing: "May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and,
until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

have always liked this one, good topic Pinhead. [Big Grin]

#101176 - Mon Mar 18 2002 12:31 AM Re: Authentically Irish...
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
Or toast with my favorite "May you be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"!

#101177 - Sun Mar 17 2002 01:31 PM Re: Authentically Irish...
simpson-jjub Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
As a toast,what about....."May the Good Lord take a liking to you, but not too soon!" I know I've heard it somewhere and is sure sounds Irish!

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong