Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1017677 - Sun Oct 27 2013 07:56 AM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
Yes Christina...Looking up toward the Refectory from outside the house in which Bertrand de Guesclin was believed to have lived in.

#1017703 - Sun Oct 27 2013 12:06 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Thought I recognised it, been there a few times

#1017781 - Sun Oct 27 2013 05:18 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Christinap]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Fantastic picture, Sisterseagull.

This is the last of the renovation pictures - a shot of the aviary especially for Jakeroo. The aviary sits in the corner between our lounge/living room and our kitchen/dining room. It has a solid back over the brickwork (because otherwise the birds will chew through the bricks). However, the bits that overlap the stationary glass have wire so that if we are in the "living" areas of the house, we can see the birds and they can see us.

There are sliding glass doors to the hobby room, the lounge room, the kitchen/dining room and the master bedroom, which all open out onto the patio. In this picture you can see the lounge room door on the left and the kitchen/dining room door on the right.

#1017787 - Sun Oct 27 2013 06:13 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Lincoln Cathedral?

Hounslow Heath from my first visit, not very exciting but all new experiences

Ah, it's been guessed on the following page. It reminded me of Lincoln though.

Edited by satguru (Sun Oct 27 2013 06:32 PM)

#1017840 - Mon Oct 28 2013 02:41 AM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: satguru]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Enjoying the ocean breeze in Timaru today.

Edited by Howie72 (Mon Oct 28 2013 02:42 AM)

#1018131 - Tue Oct 29 2013 02:17 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Not sure if I posted this one before. It's the car ferry from Kingswear to Dartmouth in Devon.

#1018156 - Tue Oct 29 2013 05:12 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: martin_cube]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Our club went on a picnic last Sunday to Heirisson Island which is an island in the middle of the Swan River in our capital city of Perth. A bridge called the Causeway spans the island and links it to the banks of the river on either side. On one side lies the city and on the other side is Victoria Park (the suburb where I was born and raised). Despite that, this was the first time I have ever been to Heirisson Island, to my knowledge.

The Causeway splits the island into two halves. One half has a playground, barbecue facilities etc. We set up our picnic there and played croquet. While the others were playing croquet, I crossed over to the other side of the island which is a nature reserve. I got some great wildlife photos such as the one above.

#1018174 - Tue Oct 29 2013 06:16 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Nice one! I wonder what they are all looking at?!

#1018329 - Wed Oct 30 2013 05:14 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: ren33]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:
Nice one! I wonder what they are all looking at?!

After the shutter clicked, they were all looking at me! smilee

Edited by MotherGoose (Wed Oct 30 2013 05:14 PM)

#1018330 - Wed Oct 30 2013 05:21 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: MotherGoose]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Another inhabitant of Heirisson Island. Didn't his ears perk up when he heard the clicking of my camera (I had it set to shoot continuously). Apparently there are six kangaroos on the island but I only saw this one as it was the wrong time of the day.

#1018350 - Wed Oct 30 2013 07:34 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: MotherGoose]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
A low flying black-backed seagull looking for a snack ar the Smithfield rockpools.

#1018383 - Wed Oct 30 2013 10:24 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The M1 motorway in Colindale, it used to stop at Mill Hill but now it finishes at the North Circular in Cricklewood.

#1018469 - Thu Oct 31 2013 12:41 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

These flats have just gone up round the corner from me

#1018500 - Thu Oct 31 2013 05:32 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: satguru]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Another "attraction" (for lack of a better word) on Heirisson Island is this statue of Yagan. Personally, I don't like it as I think the sculptor got the proportions wrong.

Who is Yagan, I hear you ask? Yagan was an Aboriginal warrior of the Noongar tribe who consider him a hero. He encouraged his tribe to actively resist the invasion of the British settlers in Perth. His activities eventually led to the deaths of some of the settlers during burglaries/robberies. The British put a bounty on his head and he was eventually killed by a settler who removed his head to claim the bounty. The head was sent to London as an "anthropological curiosity" where it was displayed in a museum and then buried. The Noongar people fought bureaucracy for years to get the head sent back to Australia, which eventually happened in 1997, and Yagan's head was eventually re-buried in 2010 in a traditional Noongar ceremony (but not buried on the island).

In 1997, within a week of the return of Yagan's head to Perth, vandals beheaded the above statue using an angle grinder. Soon after that, a replacement head was installed and it too was cut off and stolen. The police were never able to determine the culprits although according to the newspapers, an anonymous "British loyalist" claimed to have done it in retaliation for derogatory remarks made by Ken Colbung (a prominent Aboriginal) about Princess Diana. Whether the vandalism was just purely vandalism, or whether it was racially inspired, or politically inspired, or both, remains unknown.

The statue has been controversial for other reasons too, including Yagan's lack of covering of his genitalia (because of its historical inaccuracy rather than its nudity).

#1018504 - Thu Oct 31 2013 06:04 PM Re: October photo-a-day (someone pick up Ren!) [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Leaving October open for a few hours. Starting November now.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy