Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#101368 - Sun May 19 2002 02:03 PM Hangovers!
Corinnerose Offline
Explorer

Loc: Michigan
About two years ago I started getting horrible hangovers. No matter what I drink or how much I suffer horribly the next day.

I'm NOT a big drinker, but I do enjoy having a beer or two (or a sip of wine, or a mixed drink...) every couple of months... which I can't do now!

I drink tons of water (usually 1 or 2 L a day), take vitamins, eat somewhat healthy...

How do you curb your hangovers? Any advice?

Did you notice your hangovers getting worse as you age?

thanks!

Corinne

#101369 - Sun May 19 2002 03:22 PM Re: Hangovers!
simpson-jjub Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I have heard that hangovers do get worse as you age. The body must not have as much resiliency to bounce back the way it did when we were younger. I know a middle aged woman who had to stop drinking red wine and eating chocolate because something in them gave her terrible migraines.

Probably the best way to cure the hangover in the morning is to drink lots of clear fluids and eat something, even if you don't feel like it, and take a few aspirin or tylenol.

#101370 - Sun May 19 2002 03:43 PM Re: Hangovers!
Tommytunes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oceano, Ca.
As an ex-heavy drinker I can only tell you that the only thing I ever found to cure a hangover was time.

Sometimes the symptoms can be eased by taking in a lot of fluids and taking pain relievers for the headache. I don't know of any magical product that will really cure hangovers. If I did, I would have been spared a lot of miserable days. My hangovers ceased when I stopped drinking.

I hope you have better luck than I did. A person should be able to drink sensibly without the pain of a hangover.

#101371 - Sun May 19 2002 09:23 PM Re: Hangovers!
Huntress Offline
Participant

Loc: Al
Don't drink, "smoke you a fattie" works for me!!

#101372 - Sun May 19 2002 10:18 PM Re: Hangovers!
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I used to get very sick whenever I had a drink. I was once sent home from work 'the morning after' for being slightly green in colour. They thought it might upset the customers.

I don't seem to get that bad now. Maybe it's because I like to have a regular tipple these days instead of the occasional binges that I used to have.

I have one 500ml can of 4.1%vol. lager every day whilst cooking and eating dinner. If I drink 3 or more pints at a time I might still get a slight headache.

This would seem to suggest that, in my case, more drinking practice was the answer. This is the sort of agreeable solution that you don't come across very often.

#101373 - Mon May 20 2002 12:48 AM Re: Hangovers!
lbruggem Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Tellywellies, I have to agree with you on the practice thing. I don't drink myself, but my brother tells me (he's in a fraternity) that his hangovers tend to be much worse after a vacation, because he's not used to the alcohol anymore.

I heard someone saying that you should start by taking paracetamol (is this an English word?) a few hours before even starting to drink, so that the enzymes in your liver are already activated when the alcohol comes in [Eek!] . Seems like a weird if not dangerous advice, so I would certainly NOT recommend it to anyone!

#101374 - Mon May 20 2002 02:17 AM Re: Hangovers!
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland UK      
A kebab with salad and extra sauce on the way home. TIP: leave some so that you can eat it cold the next morning. Especially nice if you leave some of the pitta bread with the extra sauce- yummy !!!

Drink loads of water before you go to sleep and as soon as you wake up and inbetween when you get up in the middle of the night to go to the loo because you've drunk so much water in the first place !

Then the next morning/afternoon, after your starter of cold left over kebab, have a fry-up brekkie - hmmmmmmmmm. Works for me.

Then round about 4pm, start drinking loads of water again. For some mysterious reason, 4pm is the magical time when hangovers catch up with me and my friends - what is it about 4pm, I wonder?

In my younger and er fitter days, I used to go swimming first thing and swim about 150 lengths, then drink loads of water and have breakfast - that really used to clear up my head - and the rest!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ May 20, 2002, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: allynellie ]

#101375 - Mon May 20 2002 03:25 PM Re: Hangovers!
Corinnerose Offline
Explorer

Loc: Michigan
You know... the whole "practice drinking" thing DOES seem to make sense. When I was younger I drank much more often then I do now, and my hangovers weren't that bad... but now that I don't drink very often I'm having the problem.

Has anyone heard of "Chaser"? It's some pill that's supposed to prevent hangovers... it seems ludicrious (sp?), but who knows... it might work. (I'll try ANYTHING at this point)

-AND- One of my biggest problems seems to be JAW pain the next day... am I clenching my teeth while I'm at the bar? Am I sleeping weird? What GIVES!? *L*

Corinne

#101376 - Mon May 20 2002 04:31 PM Re: Hangovers!
gillyharold Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Michigan USA
I don't know about anyone else but the best cure I discovered was don't drink.

Haven't had a hangover in in more than twenty years now.

The older I got the smarter I got. [Wink]

#101377 - Tue May 21 2002 07:22 AM Re: Hangovers!
tecwyn Offline
Participant

Loc: wales
Hangovers are a thing of the past for me, they were good while they lasted. If you had a hangover it meant you'd had a good night the night before.
During my working life I used to get one night out every month a really good night. plenty of beer a good chat by the bar a game of darts then a chinese restaurant sit down meal sick when you got home a good telling off and a "never again" next morning.Thats what life is all about.

tecwyn [Confused]

#101378 - Sun Jun 23 2002 11:18 PM Re: Hangovers!
Beckstar36 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Try drinking a Berroca before you go to bed then one when you wake up. or tomato juice is suppose to help (if you can stomach it) I'm not sure if they have them were you are but there is a new product about to come out here. They are pills that have been researched, tested and proven to work 90% of the time, You take them during the night while you are drinking then before you go to bed then when you get up. I think they are quite expensive though as I cant imagine the government subsidising them!! Can you??

#101379 - Mon Jun 24 2002 12:42 AM Re: Hangovers!
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I don't get so bad anymore but there have been occasions when the manufacturers of such a product could have named their price. I would have paid just anything to feel better!

#101380 - Fri Jun 28 2002 08:25 AM Re: Hangovers!
Miaow Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: East London
I have to agree with allynellie - not on the kebab bit but certainly the fry up. Nothing like bacon and sausages to help out with a banging head.

I've not had a hangover for a while, but for me it does depend on what I've drunk. If I have red wine or port ir anything with cranberry juice I have to talk on the big white telephone all night. As a result I stay away from "dark" or red drinks.

Vitamin C (in any form) and diet coke or fat coke are also a help.

The 4.00pm phenomenon is true for me too, and if at all possible I will just curl up and try and catch up on the quality sleep I missed in the night. Apparently alcohol consumption puts your sleep patterns well out of whack.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong