Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1014554 - Mon Oct 07 2013 10:19 PM NRL Grand Final
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
I thought Manly got the rough end of a lot of decisions in the first half but almost made up for it in the second half. I have a question though. There was a try that was ruled as a penalty try for a player tackled without the ball. If it was a penalty try, why wasn't a second kick taken from in front?

#1014562 - Mon Oct 07 2013 11:33 PM Re: NRL Grand Final [Re: mountaingoat]
wwe84 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Southn Highlands NSW Australia
Cause it the Ref only ruled it as a penalty try not an 8 point penalty try

#1014627 - Tue Oct 08 2013 05:19 AM Re: NRL Grand Final [Re: wwe84]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
I personally think the refs got it wrong, and it cost Manly bigtime.
Lyon was tackled without the ball, with the intention being to stop him scoring the try. The outcome should have been, penalty to Manly, and the Roosters' player gets 10 in the bin for a professional foul. That gives Manly 10 minutes to score against a 12-man defence, which could have resulted in 2 tries.
Instead, they are wrongly awarded a penalty try, and are still facing 13 defenders. As Wally Lewis said, to award a penalty try, they had to be 100% certain that Lyon was going to score. He was 99% certain, but that should not have been good enough.
Personally, the only reason I was barracking for Manly was because Daly Cherry-Evans plays for them, so I don't really care either way, but it's just another case of the video losing the plot. Perhaps they should look at the guy who reffed the NSW Cup Final (on his own). He was spot-on with his decisions, acted as a mediator when needed, and basically had a top game. And for the video, they can throw in Tony Maksoud from Qld. I used to play cricket against Tony, and I can assure you that he's a whole lot better ref than he was a cricketer!

#1014799 - Tue Oct 08 2013 10:24 PM Re: NRL Grand Final [Re: mountaingoat]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Thanks WW. I had no idea there were 2 types of penalty try. As Dalgleish pointed out, it is a grey area so why not add an extra are of confusion by having 2 types of penalty.

I am also getting tired of tries from kicks. I think a try scored without a kick involved should get an extra point.

Moderator:  gtho4, ozzz2002