Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1003803 - Fri Aug 16 2013 10:12 AM "All this can be yours for $39.99!"
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
It seems that today the majority of television commercials are aimed at women's quest for beauty. There are dozens of creams to smooth, tighten, loosen, cover and moisturize skin. There are implements to lengthen and color eyelashes; more to line the eyes. Brushes to clean and tighten the face; tubes of creams to color and moisturize the lips. The cost of many of these creams and implements is astronomical.

Do women really use all this stuff? What does it say about the modern woman?

#1003818 - Fri Aug 16 2013 11:29 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Don't forget the ads for various implements to remove unwanted hair. Electric or manual shaving instruments, wax appliances, laser machines,... Are they all useful?

#1003852 - Fri Aug 16 2013 02:42 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
If everyone used everything, then we'd have clown central!

But you forgot to mention the ads for male enhancement.... blush

#1003859 - Fri Aug 16 2013 03:31 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: vendome
It seems that today the majority of television commercials are aimed at women's quest for beauty. There are dozens of creams to smooth, tighten, loosen, cover and moisturize skin. There are implements to lengthen and color eyelashes; more to line the eyes. Brushes to clean and tighten the face; tubes of creams to color and moisturize the lips. The cost of many of these creams and implements is astronomical.

Do women really use all this stuff? What does it say about the modern woman?

Given that for hundreds of years humans, male and female, have rubbed lead based stuff on their faces in the quest to appear younger, same thing it says about ancient woman and man.

#1003861 - Fri Aug 16 2013 04:13 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
In answer, I can picture the 'Billionnaire Cat Woman' in NY who believes herself to be beautiful and is addicted to plastic surgery. sick Eye of the Beholder.
crazy

#1003862 - Fri Aug 16 2013 04:21 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: alexis722]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Jocelyn Wildenstein, several million dollars later. She's 67, and actually paid all that $$$$$$$$ to look the way she do!

#1003863 - Fri Aug 16 2013 04:22 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: MiraJane]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Men, too, have gotten caught up in this nonsense.

#1004555 - Mon Aug 19 2013 08:19 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Lets face it. A woman in her fifties is 'over the hill', in need of myriad cosmetics and hair dye...men are considered 'distinguished'. Woman need make-overs; men just need a new suit or maybe 'For Men Only' to cover the gray.

By far, however, it's the woman who is the target of advertising products that drain the purse an supposedly improve the appearance. I've always been amazed at the reaction of women who jump up and down with glee when offered a make-over. What the make-over giver is saying is 'you're really in need of help with your appearance'. Hardly a compliment.

#1004568 - Mon Aug 19 2013 09:02 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I wouldn't thank you for one Rich, and no cosmetic company will get rich on what I buy, I very rarely wear any makeup at all.

#1004572 - Mon Aug 19 2013 09:19 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: vendome
Lets face it. A woman in her fifties is 'over the hill', in need of myriad cosmetics and hair dye...men are considered 'distinguished'. Woman need make-overs; men just need a new suit or maybe 'For Men Only' to cover the gray.

By far, however, it's the woman who is the target of advertising products that drain the purse an supposedly improve the appearance. I've always been amazed at the reaction of women who jump up and down with glee when offered a make-over. What the make-over giver is saying is 'you're really in need of help with your appearance'. Hardly a compliment.

Remarks like "over the hill" for a woman in her fifties and saying they need "myriad cosmetics and hair dye" perpetuates the societal bias that you appear to be railing against.

There are plenty of cosmetics and hair dyes for men. And if men are oh so unconcerned with their appearances, why are there so many examples of noted men with bad plastic surgery?

#1004583 - Mon Aug 19 2013 10:48 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
vendome Offline
Prolific

My point is with the cosmetic manufacturers and the media who lead one to believe that a woman is somehow inadequate or inferior unless they are creamed, lotioned, rubbed, smoothed and/or stretched while spending a lot of money and believing all the media hype. How is this affecting young girls? You're right; there are cosmetics and dyes for men but nothing like those aimed at females.

My goal with his post is to point out how unfair the emphasis on cosmetics is for today's woman and the excessive amount of money that must be spent to look like what cosmetic manufacturers feel is the 'modern woman'.

#1004592 - Mon Aug 19 2013 11:21 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Too much cosmetics will not beautify - sometimes on the contrary. Apply moderation with everything.

#1016555 - Sat Oct 19 2013 05:21 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Hey Jar. I heard a comedian once complaining about male enhancement emails he kept getting. What upset him most was that they were all from his wife.

#1016556 - Sat Oct 19 2013 05:55 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
^^^^ Hahahahahaha.... Classic!

#1016583 - Sat Oct 19 2013 04:02 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: sue943]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: sue943
I wouldn't thank you for one Rich, and no cosmetic company will get rich on what I buy, I very rarely wear any makeup at all.

I'm with you on that Sue. I rarely use make up at all. A good moisturiser every morning and a good night cream are about all I have used for many years now. I am definitely the wrong side of 50, and do not consider myself over the hill in any way shape or form. I'm happy with the way I look, what I weigh, etc. etc. All these adverts are designed to play on lack of self confidence and have the possibility, in my opinion, to do a lot of harm. Much like airbrushed photos of stick thin models send out the wrong image to young women.

#1017221 - Thu Oct 24 2013 08:48 AM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: vendome]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California
Most of the email systems currently in use and some of the most frequented websites that shall go unnamed use the scare tactics in the margins of your screen and I agree, are aiming at women first and foremost. Once they know your 'demographic' so to speak, they start popping up. I've had these photoshopped 'hags' with horrid wrinkles like the witch in a fairy tale and some miraculous cure for this for the past few years. I'm not sure if these are country specific but I suspect they are. I once questioned this in a business forum and they said that it's a numbers game. The more people see this, the more likely someone actually orders the product.

I bet that even in ancient times, the snake oil merchant would come to town and ply his wares to villagers watching the show.

Makeup, I began wearing a little something at the ripe old age of forty and only because someone made a remark to me about Coco Chanel saying it was vain not to after forty and why didn't I wear something? I was living in France and had undergone a fairly radical lifestyle change though I was in a tiny village outside a major urban area so I guess I though that must be the social convention. If on the other hand, you let yourself get drawn into that, you'll get someone plying their wares who'll tell you which ones you absolutely must wear or look less than dressed. I had a colleague doing one of those cosmetics schemes come over and do me up and I looked like a mummy and not the nice one baking cookies. I do wear eyeliner as I'm kind of pale. I wear lipstick or lip gloss as they have some nice ones. I feel as though wearing makeup is just something to do on a lark and not an absolute thing. My sister is very close to me in age and though she leads a very active lifestyle not in the public eye much at all, feels undressed without eye makeup and several other things. She's into sun protection though. It looks natural though and not all done up.

The younger set like my children are coming away from heavily done up. My son remarked on a girlfriend having to work on her makeup all that time when he just wanted to leave.

Edited to add that my current photo is without any makeup as I was babysitting some children that week and barely able to take a quick shower much less do my face! I'm just accepting myself more in my fifties rather than less.

Edited by Bruyere (Thu Oct 24 2013 08:49 AM)

#1017262 - Thu Oct 24 2013 01:30 PM Re: "All this can be yours for $39.99!" [Re: Bruyere]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: Bruyere

I bet that even in ancient times, the snake oil merchant would come to town and ply his wares to villagers watching the show.

Absolutely. The discovery that one could earn money (or its equivalent) by making other people feel insecure, surely took place in the prehistoric period of human development.

shocked

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943