Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1017556 - Sat Oct 26 2013 12:21 PM Photo Quiz Conundrum!
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Glamorgan UK
I desperately need some help from someone who is able to explain where on earth I find the correct image information, to show where I got my pictures from. I understand exactly which pictures I can use and which ones I cannot, but whenever I copy and paste the link to these in the relevant FT box, the code is far shorter than those used by any other FT Photo quiz author. Wikipedia links are fine, but I've been following salamiswami's attribution links for Flickr as a guide [from the quiz "Turn Off the TV", and these are huge, long links, in comparison to my tiny ones, so I think I am doing something wrong.

I'm not sure that I am explaining myself very well, but I want to know how to link a Flickr photo to FT properly. Pretty please. I have been trying to figure this out for five hours now, and I am just about ready to give up on the Photo quiz idea, as it just seems so darn complicated.

If it helps, this is one of the photos I wish to use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinbowling/3306934664/

#1017557 - Sat Oct 26 2013 12:32 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Can I also ask any tech-savvy members why a photograph I own and have tried to upload to FT is not actually showing up? It is a jpg file and is 1.50MB in size. The picture doesn't show up, only a small cross.

#1017558 - Sat Oct 26 2013 12:41 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I would be happy with that link in the sources box, if I were editing your quiz. It allows me to scroll down to the "Some rights reserved" line and click there to see that the licence is the correct Attribution only licence.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to answer the question about your own photo. Sorry.

------
Spanishliz (Editor in Movies, Geography, Brain Teasers & Crosswords)

#1017559 - Sat Oct 26 2013 12:50 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

That's great news, thanks spanishliz. I will keep my links like that then.

Now for my own photo upload...anyone have any ideas? lol

#1017564 - Sat Oct 26 2013 01:03 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I don't think you can directly load images to the forums. You need to go through an image hosting site then copy the link to that specific image and paste it as a posting. (1.5 Mb is a very large file size) There are posting rules about image/file sizes to be followed under the Photo topic home page. There are also some guides there to help you get posted. (Are you trying to post your photo in a discussion or as an avatar?) Good luck.

#1017566 - Sat Oct 26 2013 01:09 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

I've finally managed to resize my photo so that it shows up neatly in my quiz. I had to use an online website to do it, but it is looking good now. I thought it would be easier to use my own photographs, but my mobile seems to produce really large photo files. Thanks for the help both. Now I shall do my best to get my first photo quiz finished.:)

#1017570 - Sat Oct 26 2013 01:20 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
When I started photo quizzes, I had the link down right (it's just the web address) but it was the other information I had trouble with. How do I know who's the author? Public domain vs. creative commons? I didn't even know what creative commons was when I first read about it here on FunTrivia. However, the editors were kind enough to explain it.
I also learned that apparently you need the website for both public domain and creative commons, even though the instructions (when you upload the photos) only say it's needed for creative commons.

#1017580 - Sat Oct 26 2013 02:03 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: poshprice]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Poshprice, I had the same problem with uploading some large pics. I figured out how to shrink my pics on my mac. If you have a mac, send me a note and I'll send ya the instructions on how to do it. It's super easy. smile

#1017622 - Sat Oct 26 2013 06:04 PM Re: Photo Quiz Conundrum! [Re: Tizzabelle]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
The question seems to be in regards to posting the image for a photo quiz. For shrinking photos for quizzes, I usually end up using CMD-Shift-4, cropping the photo I need at the appropriate size by clicking and dragging, and saving it as the proper file type.

Quote:
I don't think you can directly load images to the forums. You need to go through an image hosting site then copy the link to that specific image and paste it as a posting. (1.5 Mb is a very large file size) There are posting rules about image/file sizes to be followed under the Photo topic home page. There are also some guides there to help you get posted. (Are you trying to post your photo in a discussion or as an avatar?) Good luck.

Small aside in this forum, but to add a photo to a forum post (as many do in the Photo-A-Day Forum) it would need to be hosted elsewhere. Their threads recommend Photobucket.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4