Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1017758 - Sun Oct 27 2013 03:11 PM RIP Lou Reed
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Here's the story from Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/l...-at-71-20131027

I remember listening to "Walk on the Wild Side" on the radio as a young teen, and getting such an intriguing sense that maybe there was something else possible - that a person could just reinvent herself and not be a well behaved good student...hmmmm...

"Berlin" and "Velvet Underground and Nico" gave a lot of the shape to my young adulthood.

#1017790 - Sun Oct 27 2013 06:36 PM Re: RIP Lou Reed [Re: agony]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
All the greats in music are dying off. To me there is nothing to make up for them.

#1020385 - Mon Nov 11 2013 10:29 PM Re: RIP Lou Reed [Re: agony]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Originally Posted By: agony
Here's the story from Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/l...-at-71-20131027

I remember listening to "Walk on the Wild Side" on the radio as a young teen, and getting such an intriguing sense that maybe there was something else possible - that a person could just reinvent herself and not be a well behaved good student...hmmmm...

"Berlin" and "Velvet Underground and Nico" gave a lot of the shape to my young adulthood.

My feelings are nearly the same as yours. The first time I heard 'Walk on the Wild Side' I was stealing a car (true story). Later on, Lou earned more of my respect when Vaclav Havel told him that Velvet Underground-influenced groups (like Plastic People of the Universe) were primary motivations for Eastern Bloc dissent; essentially, Lou's music is a substantial reason behind the fall of totalitarian communism.

When Havel visited the White House, he asked if Lou could perform for a state function, and the musician was happy to oblige. When Lou launched into a certain creatively-named song off of 1996's Set the Twilight Reeling mere feet from Tipper Gore herself, I felt my heart strangely warmed and the passions of my adolescence redeemed.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher