Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1017400 - Fri Oct 25 2013 11:02 AM Clocks back this weekend for UK
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Just a reminder.

How about clocks in other countries?

#1017403 - Fri Oct 25 2013 12:15 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
In the U.S. the clock change will be next weekend.

The states of Arizona and Hawaii to not change, nor do the territories, such as Puerto Rico and Guam.

#1017404 - Fri Oct 25 2013 12:56 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Most of Australia went forward by an hour, three weeks ago.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1017406 - Fri Oct 25 2013 01:51 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
O, is it that time already? Franklin had a lot of good ideas, but this was not one of them. Why not simply change school/work/other schedules as each zone sees fit. confused

#1017413 - Fri Oct 25 2013 03:04 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I believe the whole of the European Union now begins and ends its daylight saving at the same time. So most European countries will be putting the clocks back at the same time as the UK: the re-run of the hour between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. in the UK will be a re-run of the hour from 2:00 to 3:00 in Germany, and so on.

#1017417 - Fri Oct 25 2013 04:43 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Living as I do in a place where the sun rises at 4 am in the summer, I'm a big fan of daylight savings. It cuts down on the use of electricity because we are using that hour of natural light instead of electric light.

Those much further south probably don't really see the benefits we do.

#1017421 - Fri Oct 25 2013 04:52 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
It's a time of year I enjoy, somehow it's the beginning of the buildup to Midwinter.
Better for stargazing, fireworks and bonfires too.

#1017468 - Fri Oct 25 2013 11:09 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
I hate it when the clocks change. It takes weeks for my body clock to get used to it.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#1017519 - Sat Oct 26 2013 05:42 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: alexis722]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: agony
Those much further south probably don't really see the benefits we do.

You would be right. It isn't that beneficial here in Texas.

Originally Posted By: romeomikegolf
I hate it when the clocks change. It takes weeks for my body clock to get used to it.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that despises changing the clocks!

Originally Posted By: alexis722
Why not simply change school/work/other schedules as each zone sees fit.

My dad said the same thing when I was growing up.

#1017533 - Sat Oct 26 2013 09:07 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: romeomikegolf]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:
You would be right. It isn't that beneficial here in Texas.

Just curious - how much seasonal swing in dawn/dusk times do you get where you live?

Where I am, we see the beginnings of dawn around 4:00 am, and it's finally really dark about 11 pm, in high summer. In the dead of winter, sunrise is about 8:30 am, and it's dark about 4:30. Our twilight period is very long, too - there's light for an hour or more when the sun is below the horizon, especially in summer.

#1017535 - Sat Oct 26 2013 09:30 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
On the south coast of England we get about 16½ hours of daylight at the summer solstice (from about 4:45 a.m. To 9:15 p.m. BST) and rather less than 8 hours (from approximately 8:00 a.m. To 4:00 p.m. GMT) in the depths of winter.

In Inverness in the north of Scotland (about 500 miles north as the crow flies) there is about 18 hours (from about 4:15 a.m. To 10:15 p.m.) in summer and about 6½ hours (from about 9:00 a.m. To 3:30 p.m. GMT) in winter

#1017606 - Sat Oct 26 2013 04:00 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I hate the clock change to the darker nights, takes me ages to get used to it. Every year there is the same discussion with some people saying do double summer time and go back one hour in winter to have lighter evenings, but all they ever do is talk about it.

#1017608 - Sat Oct 26 2013 04:09 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: agony]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Originally Posted By: agony
Just curious - how much seasonal swing in dawn/dusk times do you get where you live?

The sunrise times here in late December are about 7:20am, and sunset is about 5:20pm, but in June, sunrise is about 6:20am, and sunset is about 8:40pm. It's about a four-hour swing from shortest day to longest day, in the sense of from sunrise to sunset.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/75063?climoMonth=12 for December (at DFW Airport)
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/75063?climoMonth=6 for June (again at DFW)

Currently, it is almost dark at 7pm and completely dark by 7:15pm (sunset for today is 6:42pm), but next week, it will be about 6. Today's sunrise to sunset time is 11 hr 1 min.

Edited by dg_dave (Sat Oct 26 2013 04:12 PM)

#1017609 - Sat Oct 26 2013 04:12 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Damn and blast it. Since last winter I have had a new boiler installed and with the old timer, which looks just like this one, I just had to press and hold the - to put it back an hour and the + to advance it one hour - nah, that isn't working and I don't know how to change the time, perhaps I have to wait until it is running. If not I will have to call the plumber, there is nothing in the booklet with the boiler. frown I must have been able to change it when the clocks went forward. Ah well.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Oct 26 2013 04:14 PM)

#1017611 - Sat Oct 26 2013 04:20 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Is there not a wheel somewhere on it or is it a digital? I have a hot water heater that has a timer on it, and all I have to do is pull the wheel out and turn it.

#1017614 - Sat Oct 26 2013 04:55 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Sue, I have a similar thing on mine but I have to pull down a flap, set a switch to hours or minutes, then press the plus or minus button then re-set the switch to run. The plus/minus thing won't work unless the other switch is also set to the right place.

#1017668 - Sun Oct 27 2013 02:30 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Well I messed about with it with nothing happening and decided to give up and wait for the plumber to do it when he comes to fit a new towel rail in my bathroom, then it suddenly occured to me that the timer is showing the correct time! How the hell did it do that? I know the computer automatically changes the time but how did the boiler timer know to do it? I am totally confused.

Edited by sue943 (Sun Oct 27 2013 02:30 AM)

#1017669 - Sun Oct 27 2013 03:01 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
It's all a bit 'big brotherish' these days. We're all controlled by computers...

#1017670 - Sun Oct 27 2013 04:05 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Have you tried finding a manufacturer's site on the web to explain its workings in more detail than the manual?

Edit: Or to find FAQs, or post a query to their Customer Service folks?

Edited by mehaul (Sun Oct 27 2013 05:21 AM)

#1017672 - Sun Oct 27 2013 04:12 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I wish my phone would learn how to do that. It's set to auto-update but it never does. I wouldn't mind about the time but I use the phone as an alarm for when I have to take medication and the darn thing has been beeping at me all morning! It beeped when it got to the "old" time so I reset the timer and it beeped when it got to the "new" time; only then did I realise the clock hadn't updated itself so I reset that and it beeped again, and again, and...

#1017676 - Sun Oct 27 2013 07:32 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I have a nocturnal teenager, so when I woke up, everything had been sorted, from phone to boiler.
We have division of labour here, he does techie stuff and I bake. Harmony.

#1017679 - Sun Oct 27 2013 08:36 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I had looked it up after posting above, and have printed out the proper instructions and lo and behold it says that the hour change is programmed in unless the installer has disabled it. If the automatic change has been disabled then the + or - keys should be used, which is how I had expected it to be as it physically looks the same as my old one.

I had changed my watch and alarm clock before going to bed, I had never thought about my house phone, I have just changed that, there is a first time for everything. My car will be fine, I can't change the clock without getting into a mess so it is 5 minutes slow for the winter and an hour and five minutes slow in summer. smile

I have even thought to change the timer on my standard lamp behind my chair, I have this set to come on and off automatically so that I don't have mess about each evening, plus when I am away it will come on so that the house looks occupied, then off at what might be my bedtime.

#1018200 - Wed Oct 30 2013 01:48 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Personally I would prefer it were we to have our clocks on GMT and leave it at that - however, we don't.

Clocks can be adjusted, as can electronic devices, but what cannot be altered with the time changes is the "body clock" of cats!

The alarm is set for 0600, as my wife has to get up then for work. (I am retired) I go downstairs, make breakfast for cats, and coffee for wife and myself.
We have four cats.

As the clocks went back Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was awoken at 0500 GMT by felines who's body clocks said it was 0600 still! They would not take "no" for an answer and pestered in relays.........at 0530 I weakened and got up! Getting better though - they awoke me at 0530 this morning!

#1018201 - Wed Oct 30 2013 02:27 AM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

It doesn't do a lot for three year old children either, my poor daughter is tearing her hair out at breakfast being demanded at some silly time.

#1018307 - Wed Oct 30 2013 12:33 PM Re: Clocks back this weekend for UK [Re: C30]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: C30
Personally I would prefer it were we to have our clocks on GMT and leave it at that - however, we don't.

Clocks can be adjusted, as can electronic devices, but what cannot be altered with the time changes is the "body clock" of cats!

The alarm is set for 0600, as my wife has to get up then for work. (I am retired) I go downstairs, make breakfast for cats, and coffee for wife and myself.
We have four cats.

As the clocks went back Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was awoken at 0500 GMT by felines who's body clocks said it was 0600 still! They would not take "no" for an answer and pestered in relays.........at 0530 I weakened and got up! Getting better though - they awoke me at 0530 this morning!

I'm impressed your cats let you sleep that late!

For years, I had a 4amer. And she was one that would attack the toes to wake me up. If that failed, a good jump onto the chest from the highest point in the room would follow.

I'm lucky now. My Princess does not awaken until around 11am. Then she comes to the door of her room (yes, she has her own room) and announces she has awoken and is in need of breakfast, served to her in her room, of course.

Otherwise, no matter what time I wake up, my other cats are all too happy to walk under my feet.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943