Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1018421 - Thu Oct 31 2013 05:42 AM Interview with BxBarracuda
Pagiedamon Online   content

Loc: North Carolina USA
dg_dave
Are you originally from the Bronx, New York, and if not, where?

Right across the bridge from the Bronx in Queens. Both sides are the bridge are in many ways the same and in other ways different.

sue943 and maskman22
How did you come up with the name BxBarracuda? The initials BX refer to the town you're from, but what does the 'barracuda' part of it refer to?

When I was thinking up my first AOL screen name some 15 years or so ago I was trying to come up with something to go along with Bx, and I wanted it to be something uncommon but cool at the same time. "Barracuda" came to me and I went with it. Though I have been told if I ever move to Australia I will have to change my screen name to BxBarramundi.

supersal1
Have you travelled much, either inside or outside of the USA?

Not as much as I would like. I havenít been out of the U.S. yet, and only twice have I been west of the Mississippi. I have stayed overnight in at least a dozen states and taken full day trips into a few more.

romeomikegolf
Is there anywhere you haven't visited that you would dearly like to?

These days I seem to want to visit Peru and go to old sites with mystery attached to them. Any old sites in the world with mystery, or history, attached to them would be great for me - from the pyramids (Egyptian, Mayan etc.) to Stonehenge to the Great Wall. The older and more mysterious, the better.

Pagiedamon
What is your real-life job?

I am a legal assistant by title.

Jakeroo
Besides your direct line of work, you are to be admired for something else you do for your fellow citizens - donating blood - oftimes in excess of what the average person gives. Is there a personal reason you chose that particular precious gift?

It was something I could do that helps others and was within my means to do. If I could shore up some tics I have from time to time and if I am a match for someone, I could be a bone marrow donor as well.

Pagiedamon
Tell us a little about yourself. Are you married, single or divorced? Kids or pets?

Married. I actually met my wife online in the early days of the internet becoming popular and before the matchmaking sites were around. We have had dogs, either one or two at a time; currently one which we adopted as a puppy. I had grown up around a lot of cats. Wife has had some various other living things in the house such as fish, birds and even a chinchilla.

romeomikegolf
Apart from FT, how do you normally spend your days?

I watch too much T.V., from T.V. shows to daily sports shows and a lot of college football on Saturdays in the Fall. With the wife, I can do day trips just to get out of the house. Not as much as I used to do ten years ago, like play softball on Sundays and take part in an organized Madden Football video game league.

sue943
How did you discover FunTrivia?

I Googled "trivia sites", checked out a few and found FT was the best by far. My profile says I have been signed up since 2005, but I know it was at least a couple of years before that when I found FT. There were only a handful of hourly games then, and the monthly scoring was much different.

supersal1
You've written quizzes on a variety of subjects - do you have a favourite topic for authoring or playing quizzes?

Brain Teasers are my favorite to write, especially finding ways to take puzzles I like doing in magazines and working them into a format that fits FT. Taking quizzes, I tend to gravitate to the Sports, T.V., Music and Movies categories. Usually taking quizzes on topics I know and seeing if I really do know that much about them as I think.

romeomikegolf
Are there any FT quizzes that make you think 'I wish I'd authored that'?

Even though itís a little self-serving, when I saw what EmmaF2008 did with an Author Challenge I put out there called "They Might Be G.I. Ants", I was very impressed. There have been many authors and many more quizzes which have wowed me and Iíll always remember to write some sort of note after taking a quiz I really liked, but at this moment only the one by EmmaF has stuck with me this long.

kyleisalive
You've been a part of quite a few authoring ventures here on the site. What words of advice would you impart on anyone who asks you about writing?

Donít overthink your early quizzes, keep it simple at first and the worst thing would be to try and be too smart and stump everyone with your questions. Donít gloss over the Interesting Info, give people something small but not as well known about the topic. I would then show them the first quiz I ever did and tell them how much it pains me that I canít rewrite it. Maybe the most important thing would be to not read into the Editorís remarks, question the FT rules, or take any negative tone you may sense to heart. That part isnít easy; I still have to work on that from time to time.

sue943
You are a member of the very successful team Ďclassicalmusic/mensaní; what drew you to that team?

The quality and respect I had for many of the members throughout the years. When my wandering ways got the best of me and I made myself a free agent again, and all it took was a note from martin_cube and a short time later I accepted the invitation.

maskman22
You have been a member of several teams on Fun Trivia...what do you look for in a team? (I think you've been on 2 or 3 with me).

Donít take this as 100% fact, it is what I currently recall of my time with teams. I think way back when I tried to start my own team, I think over a few months period, one other person joined and wasnít very active. I dissolved that one and joined the Devilís Advocates, where I had fun but the very large size of the team wasnít for me, so through someone I used to debate with on the chat boards I landed on Poetic Justice and was probably the most active on that team with great members and had a lot of fun, perhaps too much, which led to me wandering a bit as a free agent. Then after some notes with a friend I had debated alongside on the chat boards I became a member of the Incredible Casuals and got to know some great people and had some fun, but eventually once again I caught the wandering bug, went free agent and in a short time was on my current team. So in a word, what I look for in a team and have been consistent through time, is good people.

dg_dave
You've been in the Tipping Comps for a few years now. What made you decide to become an organizer versus just a participant?

Just a love of sports and I liked the other tipsters. College football is big for me, and when I inquired about there being a College Football Tipping Competition I was happily shocked that it was green lighted for me to run. With patience from you and gtho4 my dealing with code has become passable. Iíve also learned more than I ever knew about other sports and teams from around the world than anywhere else.

dg_dave
Keeping with the Tipping theme, are you a big NASCAR fan?

Fan yes, big fan no, for a New Yorker I might be considered a super fan, lol. Iíve learned to like the sport more after running the competition, it seemed somebody highly respected got to all the big American sports first, so I found a niche where I could.

sue943
What is it that keeps you coming to Funtrivia after so many years?

The variety from the early chat board debates, the teams I have been on, the challenges (especially Global and Hardcore), the chance to author quizzes, the interviews, the tipping competitions and the people in general. There have been and are so many aspects of this site to become involved with for anyone and a few Iíve been lucky enough to be chosen to take part in over time as well.

supersal1
What are your interests outside of Funtrivia?

Bowling, having family events, television Ė DVR maybe one of the greatest inventions of all time lol, going to festivals, visiting an Old Bethpage restoration village a few times a yearís especially holiday time, zoos and aquariums from time to time, sneaking down into the city once in a while, maybe going to the Museum of Natural History.

kyleisalive
What topic would you consider yourself to be an expert in and why? (...and no, it doesn't need to be trivia-related.)

Expert I donít know, but I might be the closest to an expert at bowling. Iím good, but not great, but the second the ball is out of my hand I can often tell what mistake I made and if I got a good throw off. Iíve been able to help others from time to time as well with bowling. Iím not too shabby at Logic Puzzles either, which has helped me simplify what can seem like complex problems, except when they are my own lol.

sue943
If you could dine with any two famous people, living or dead, who would they be and why? If you could ask each of them just one question to which they had to give an honest answer, what would it be?

Dave Chappelle and Albert Brooks. They are two of most original funny people out there with great perspectives on life, are unafraid to talk about anything, their egos are much smaller than their talent, as well as they can take an over sensationalized topic, approach it from a human angle and make that angle funnier than anyone else could. I would ask them both the same question, ďWhy donít you two collaborate on a project togetherĒ?

Other people that were in contention were Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant, Andrew Braugher, Clint Eastwood (but from early 1980s not the one in his 80s), Benjamin Franklin, Robert E. Lee, Copernicus, Leonardo DaVinci and a Pacal.

kyleisalive
You have to give someone your Lucky Duck badge. Who do you give it to, and why?

There is no specific person and it would have to be anonymous. Depending on what was going on at the time I had to give it, I would probably want to give it to someone who I knew at that moment could use to catch a break and have something good go their way. If that wasnít the case if I knew someone well enough and they have harped on not getting it, I would give it to them. The other type of person would be someone who is new to the site, maybe a bit politely awkward on one of the forums and give it to them; maybe it inspires them to do more on this site rather than others.

Jakeroo
I know that your family supports your local zoo. Folks seem to be polarised on whether zoos are a good thing or not. I personally feel that they are important, but what spurs your patronage?

I think it can depend on where you live as to how much of a good or bad thing zoos can be. Coming from a huge city like New York City, I can say The Bronx Zoo is a bit of a refuge from the concrete jungle. Most importantly all animals in any zoo or aquarium I go to are well taken care of and their environments are kept up well and have some sense of the animals natural habitats. People from urban areas donít always get too far out of them and this shows them what is alive out there. I also like to watch how the animals interact with each other.

martin_cube
If you could be any animal - current OR extinct - what would it be and why?

Iíd say a hawk, because it has the ability of flight and the eyesight to take in everything it flies over.

Thank you all for taking part in this and coming up with good questions.

Edited by Pagiedamon (Thu Oct 31 2013 05:57 AM)

#1018449 - Thu Oct 31 2013 09:46 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Great Interview barramundi!

#1018454 - Thu Oct 31 2013 11:38 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Most interesting.

#1018624 - Fri Nov 01 2013 05:40 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
Pagiedamon Online   content

Loc: North Carolina USA
This was a good one! But I end up loving them all! smile

#1018658 - Fri Nov 01 2013 08:38 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
Good to get to know more about you!

UN IPCC

#1018929 - Sun Nov 03 2013 10:41 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: satguru]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:
But I end up loving them all!

Me too! This whole interview thing is one of the best ideas here.

#1018934 - Sun Nov 03 2013 11:06 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India†††††††††††
Very interesting read...got to know a little more of the man I "know" so well in the tipping comps smile Thanks for the interesting questions and the great answers!

#1019034 - Sun Nov 03 2013 11:28 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
maskman22 Offline
Participant

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania†USA
Well done sir, it was a pleasure reading your answers to my questions and all the others.

#1019293 - Tue Nov 05 2013 01:50 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: maskman22]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
I love the idea of Dave Chappelle and Albert Brooks collaborating on a project: that is a great brainwave, BxBarracuda!

Very interesting interview.

#1019329 - Tue Nov 05 2013 04:45 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New†York†USA†††††
The idea is out there on the internet now, if it wasn't already, so who knows.

#1019355 - Tue Nov 05 2013 07:31 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW†Australia††††††††
Great stuff, mate.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1020026 - Sat Nov 09 2013 05:42 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Your interview came to the top fast. College football question. How does a Bronx guy become a War Eagle (Auburn) fan? BTW, rooting for you guys in the Iron Bowl, Charles! GBR!

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#1020057 - Sat Nov 09 2013 10:42 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

New†York†USA†††††
When you marry a woman from Alabama her team becomes your team, it's part of the package.

#1020093 - Sun Nov 10 2013 05:41 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Excellent. Well-played young man!

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#1020680 - Wed Nov 13 2013 07:07 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Enjoyed your interview very much. A *discussion* between you and another member (I can't remember who now) lead me to the Forums a few years back! smile Thanks!

#1020949 - Thu Nov 14 2013 03:46 PM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

New†York†USA†††††
Martha, Thank You, glad I was able to help bring a great member to the Forum side.

In my younger days I was certainly known to have some interesting "discussions" on here.

#1021480 - Mon Nov 18 2013 07:23 AM Re: Interview with BxBarracuda [Re: Pagiedamon]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

New†York†USA†††††
Shame on me for leaving the following people off of my list of other people to have a dinner with, authors Arthur C. Clarke, David Morrell, John Sanford and Charles Sheffield.

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, romeomikegolf, sue943