Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1019981 - Sat Nov 09 2013 10:45 AM Author Challenge Title Issue
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I was under the impression that for Author Challenges to be counted as such, the title needed to be the same as what was submitted. However, it appears that this is not the case. I had submitted a title simply called "QWERTY" a while ago, and yet a quiz with the title "Spell it From the QWERTYUIOP Row" has just gone online today and that title has been attributed to me on this page: http://www.funtrivia.com/special_lists.cfm?challenges=1. That is definitely not the title I submitted (I keep track so I can play all the quizzes made from my submitted challenges).

Does anyone know what is going on?

#1019983 - Sat Nov 09 2013 10:52 AM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kaddarsgirl]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
I think if someone accepts an Authors Challenge and then change the title without abandoning it at the Authors challenge list the quiz is still recorded as challenge completed for the original title.

I had to have a quiz title changed this week and Kyle told me to abandon it on authors challenge page before he finished editing it otherwise system would still show it as a completed authors challenge.

I hope that answers your query and maybe it's a bug that could be rectified.

#1019989 - Sat Nov 09 2013 11:43 AM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kaddarsgirl]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
There's a weird argument that this isn't actually a bug. wink

If a player needs to modify the title for capitalization or a typo, then they shouldn't necessarily lose out for changing it.

Editors are told that the quiz is a challenge quiz by reading a small red box in the template. Some slip by and some don't; we do try to work to prevent issues like this but some get through.

I personally find it against the spirit of the challenges list to change the title in any way and, when I do see it happen I rate the quiz lower as a result. All of the specifications of the list are spelled out.

#1019997 - Sat Nov 09 2013 01:12 PM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kyleisalive]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Whenever I am about to edit a quiz identified as an Author Challenge, the first thing I do is check that the author's submitted title matches the one they claimed on the challenge list (except to correct spelling or capitalization). I think that's the only way we have to prevent this short of thing happening.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#1020020 - Sat Nov 09 2013 03:48 PM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kaddarsgirl]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I missed that one - sorry. I will go change it back - the author was apparently under the impression that I wanted it expanded to make it clearer, which wasn't necessary. Mea culpa.

Edited by looney_tunes (Sat Nov 09 2013 03:55 PM)

#1020021 - Sat Nov 09 2013 03:57 PM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kaddarsgirl]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
It's alright, looney. smile My intention was not to place blame on anyone. I was simply curious as to how a title that didn't match the original could make it into the list of completed challenges. It makes sense that the typo/capitalization thing would make it possible to submit altered titles for valid credit. Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone. smile

Edited for typo...

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sat Nov 09 2013 03:58 PM)

#1020177 - Sun Nov 10 2013 07:07 PM Re: Author Challenge Title Issue [Re: kaddarsgirl]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
How can you tell if a quiz matches the challenge proposed or not? I mean, I understand Kyle being able to see and rate something lower as he said, and I understand being able to see it during editing, but is there any way to see it while playing? I don't even see that it IS a challenge title unless I'm looking at the online challenges list...

Moderator:  agony, gtho4