Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1021544 - Mon Nov 18 2013 01:36 PM Quiz question
Shedrgn13 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Virginia USA
I would Like to ask a specific question about a quiz and it's content. Is it OK for me to question where someone got the questions and answers. The reason is possibly a culture thing since I am in US ,they maybe from some other country that does it differently. However if they are here than I have several problems with the content. No references are given. Am I in the right place?

#1021547 - Mon Nov 18 2013 01:50 PM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I think you'd better ask the author of the quiz first (if he/she is still around). If the author doesn't respond in a reasonable time, you may best post here a link to the quiz, so the editors and/or prolific writers in this category may try to answer.

#1021553 - Mon Nov 18 2013 03:30 PM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Remember that there are some quizzes tagged as "Abandoned" (and the explains of why appear legit) that then get completed by the editors and go online to free up Template backlog.

Shouldn't this be in Quiz Authors Q&A Forum and answered by an editor only and not here, answered by the likes of me (haul)?

#1021561 - Mon Nov 18 2013 03:56 PM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I suggest that you send a polite Correction Note to the quiz, explaining first that you are aware it may be a cultural thing, but then describing precisely what your issues with the content are. If the author is not here, an editor will handle it on their behalf.

#1021616 - Mon Nov 18 2013 11:57 PM Re: Quiz question [Re: looney_tunes]
Shedrgn13 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Virginia USA
This is my first time on here so I really didn't know where to ask this question. Thanks for the advice. I will try to post on Authors/Quiz thread if I am able. I tried other places and was directed here. I have not authored a quiz yet but was under the impression that references were needed for info used. Thanks guys and/or gals.

#1021629 - Tue Nov 19 2013 02:09 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Please find the quiz and send a correction note detailing your concerns. All authors should be able to give you a reference (adding details to every question would make a clunky quiz, but the information should be available). If they aren't active, an editor will research it on their behalf.

Edited by looney_tunes (Tue Nov 19 2013 02:10 AM)

#1021667 - Tue Nov 19 2013 06:13 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Remember that there are some quizzes tagged as "Abandoned" (and the explains of why appear legit) that then get completed by the editors and go online to free up Template backlog.

This isn't completely true. While some quizzes are left in various stages of completion in the back end of the site, the only ones listed as 'abandoned' are ones that have been taken offline and untouched for a certain amount of time at which point we can make the edits/research or delete depending on the quality and extent of damages in need of repair.

While there is a long list of untouched/incomplete/unsubmitted quizzes, none are technically' referred to as 'abandoned'.

I agree with LT-- if you have a concern and the author is long-gone (which would be seen on their profile), an editor will evaluate the claim and attempt to make the changes necessary to keep the quiz online. Otherwise, if the author is around, they can make the call (or it can be discussed).

#1021700 - Tue Nov 19 2013 08:43 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
And, just to make it clear - the place to report this kind of thing is in the quiz itself. Near the bottom of the answer page you will see "An error? Submit a Correction to the quiz maker.". Using this link flags the quiz, and an editor in the right category will deal with it.

#1021708 - Tue Nov 19 2013 10:07 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
I don't understand how the OP thinks they may have a problem with the content of a quiz, but that problem depends on whether or not the author is based in the USA. Either there is a problem or there isn't; as far as I'm aware the site doesn't have different standards depending on the author.

#1021712 - Tue Nov 19 2013 10:35 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: dippo]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:
This is my first time on here so I really didn't know where to ask this question. Thanks for the advice. I will try to post on Authors/Quiz thread if I am able

Welcome to FunTrivia.
When you post these questions many people are happy to help and offer advice. Sometimes other players know the answers and sometimes they are only guessing.
So when editors answer your question, those are the people who are more likely to have the correct answer.
Several editors have chimed in on this thread, including looney_tunes, agony and kyleisalive. They have indicated that the place to register your question is in the quiz itself, not in this, or any other thread, where other people may have directed you.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1021720 - Tue Nov 19 2013 10:49 AM Re: Quiz question [Re: Shedrgn13]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Perhaps this is the time to remind members, yet again, not to offer advice/answers unless they are 100% certain of their facts. At the top of this forums it says "If you do not know the answer to a question, please leave it for an editor to reply.", that hasn't changed. Some members who do not normally visit the forums will see an answer to their question, assume that it is correct and not read further replies which are correct.

If an editor replies to a question please do not then offer a differing opinion, it confuses people.

Thank you.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4