Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1024435 - Fri Dec 06 2013 12:23 AM Quiz Title Length
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
I need to write a quiz with 7 words in it for a challenge (I can't really say which one!).
I tried creating the quiz in the For Children category but an error message popped up and said my title was too long.
Is there a character limit on the title? I have seen some pretty long titles and there are other 7 word titles in the For Children category - can an editor shed some light on why mine won't work?
Thanks

#1024436 - Fri Dec 06 2013 12:25 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Just ignore me - there must be a character limit. I used a '&' instead of the word 'and' - hopefully I still get credit for the quiz.

#1024437 - Fri Dec 06 2013 12:58 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There is a limit of 50 characters (letters and spaces) for your quiz title. Some categories have their own word limit, but the template enforces the 50 characters. I just did a test with an amazingly long title (just to be sure I remembered the number correctly), and got an error message telling me about the 50 character limit.

edited to say that if you are writing a quiz that needs 7 words, you may find that the character doesn't count. Perhaps you could rewrite the title in some other way to get it under the maximum length.

Edited by looney_tunes (Fri Dec 06 2013 01:00 AM)

#1024442 - Fri Dec 06 2013 02:26 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
If the title fits the challenge, I believe you should find a message to confirm that it does.

#1024453 - Fri Dec 06 2013 05:16 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Thanks Looney & rossian - I got the message (on my challenge page) that my title will work with the '&' instead of 'and' - yay! To be honest, I am trying to kill two birds with one stone but the title can be shortened to kill either of those two birds ;-)

The error message came up at 49 characters - but knocking two characters off was ok. There was no error message at 47 characters (including spaces).

#1024560 - Fri Dec 06 2013 05:19 PM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
The only downside with using an "&" sign is it may flub up the HTML version of your quiz. I'd probably rewrite it to use a shorter word and the word "and" instead.

#1024590 - Fri Dec 06 2013 07:35 PM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm pretty sure that's only a problem with answer options. We do of course prefer "and" to "&" when possible, but if that's the only way to make it fit, it should be OK.

#1024602 - Fri Dec 06 2013 09:48 PM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Sorry, but not in this case, agony. It has to do with the page itself. The ampersand involves an argument within HTML coding, and will cause lones's quiz not to load properly. The same thing happens with the % sign as well.

This forum is entitled "Quiz Authoring Q&A," but its page is "http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/Quiz_Authoring_Q_A" for a reason. Note that the "&" is missing in the page name, as it will cause a problem trying to load.

edit to add: here is a link to show why it cannot work.

Edited by dg_dave (Fri Dec 06 2013 09:55 PM)

#1024606 - Fri Dec 06 2013 11:21 PM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Well it seems to work fine - my quiz is online and people have played it. I managed to kill those two birds as well smile

#1024617 - Sat Dec 07 2013 01:28 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I've just opened it in all three modes (and played it in one) and it loaded fine for me. Those poor dead birds are everywhere. Nicely done, Lones.

#1024622 - Sat Dec 07 2013 03:33 AM Re: Quiz Title Length [Re: Lones78]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Thanks Rossian smile

Moderator:  agony, gtho4