Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1025543 - Wed Dec 11 2013 08:55 PM Word Wizard
mayneeyak Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Northern Ontario Canada  
Just a question. Is there any way one can increase their chances of getting the more obscure letters when plaing WW? I have needed a zed for about a bazillion centuries to finish my Safari Challenge so I can submit 'Zebra' and get my badge.

I've traded, put in small words, big words, played fast, played slow, thrown my computer across the room, kicked my feet and taken a conniption, I even rubbed an eye covered tater between my knees and put honey garlic sauce around my navel while reciting Shakespeare in Swahili, but to no avail.

How much would a zed cost on FT if I were to buy one? I have a spare twelve bux and nineteen cents plus I'll throw in a rubber chicken that squawks when you whap it on something if someone can get me a ZED! cry

Edited by mayneeyak (Wed Dec 11 2013 08:56 PM)

#1025545 - Wed Dec 11 2013 09:44 PM Re: Word Wizard [Re: mayneeyak]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I held on to LLAA waiting for an M. I played over 85 times (probably closer to 100+) trying to get an M while holding those letters and using the others. During that time I got 3 x's (not including the one I got when I traded in AA because I had 2 more A's), 2 Q's, 3 Z's in the time I was waiting for one M.

In other words, I feel your pain.

#1025550 - Wed Dec 11 2013 10:48 PM Re: Word Wizard [Re: mayneeyak]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I think we've all been there at one time or another. I found it best to stop chasing a target, just keep a list on hand of target words, and then just collect letters and submitting words, checking each time I reached 12 letters to see if I had the magic combination. Eventually it worked.

#1025553 - Thu Dec 12 2013 12:26 AM Re: Word Wizard [Re: mayneeyak]
PDUBS1980 Offline
Participant

Loc: Illinois USA
I was stuck on Z for a long time once too! And posting here to check something on a badge I'm going for...

#1025555 - Thu Dec 12 2013 01:14 AM Re: Word Wizard [Re: mayneeyak]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
The letters are handed out at about the same frequency they are used in the English language, which is probably the most reasonable way to do it.

#1026394 - Tue Dec 17 2013 07:54 PM Re: Word Wizard [Re: mayneeyak]
mayneeyak Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Northern Ontario Canada  
Well, I need "zebra" and I got to 12 so many times I finally just played the letters whenever I had even a four-pointer. This is more difficult than the Adventures in Authoring challenge. I call it the "Self-Induced Concussion and Cluster Headache Challenge".
I think I'll throw myself down a 50 foot razorblade that has a pool of salt-saturated iodine at the bottom. Less pain...

Moderator:  Terry