Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#983804 - Tue May 14 2013 01:36 PM Commercials conspiracy
darksplash Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyrone Northern†Ireland†UK†
Maybe I am seeing a conspiracy where none exists, but there is something that puzzles me about television advertising.

This is not a scientific finding by any means, but it seems that more often than I would take to be random, when I switch channels during a break for commericals, I find that the new channel is showing advertisements too.

I have at times switched through six or seven channels to find each showing adverts.

What do we think: do the stations deliberately have their breaks at the same time in case they lose viewers to another channel that is not showing a real programme?

#985126 - Wed May 22 2013 12:03 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I have often wondered that as well. It's frustrating to switch only to find another commercial. But I have to admit, I'd be interested in a program, switch channels to see what else is on during a commercial and become interested in THAT program (if I found one) and totally forget to switch back to the original channel. Having a limited attention span like I have is detrimental to other people watching my TV the same time.

#1024933 - Mon Dec 09 2013 12:07 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
mask100 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan
Originally Posted By: darksplash
Maybe I am seeing a conspiracy where none exists, but there is something that puzzles me about television advertising.

This is not a scientific finding by any means, but it seems that more often than I would take to be random, when I switch channels during a break for commericals, I find that the new channel is showing advertisements too.

I have at times switched through six or seven channels to find each showing adverts.

What do we think: do the stations deliberately have their breaks at the same time in case they lose viewers to another channel that is not showing a real programme?

I have noticed this trend too a lot and I think it's just a ploy by the advertisers to force us to watch the ads subconsiously as we have the tendency to be impatient and just watch them for nothing else better to watch on TV.

#1024952 - Mon Dec 09 2013 01:22 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'd say it's a lot less likely to be a conspiracy, and more part of having shows all start and stop at roughly the same time. If all the shows start on the hour or half hour, and they schedule ads to get the maximum number in without making you give up on watching altogether, they'll all have their ad breaks at roughly the same intervals - first one eight minutes into the program, or whatever it is, then another eight minutes after that, etc. They end up all being at about the same time because they are all trying to do the same thing, and have worked out that this ad spacing is the best way to do it.

#1024954 - Mon Dec 09 2013 01:23 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
In the US (and maybe elsewhere, too) the channels on cable tend not to be independent, but to be part of big conglomerates that own several channels. And, yes, I believe that many of these companies DO coordinate commercial times for their cable channels.

For example, Viacom owns (among others) Spike, Comedy Central, and TV Land. I have found that when switching between these, commercials can't be escaped, because they all go to commercial at the same time. The same thing is true of Bravo, USA, Syfy, and Oxygen (all owned by NBC-Universal) and TNT, TBS, and CNN (all owned by Turner Broadcasting).

Given the way the USA tends to smile on monopolies, the day will come when all these companies merge, and it will no longer be possible to flip away from commercials at all. I hope other nations are wiser!

:-O

#1025331 - Tue Dec 10 2013 07:49 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
I've noticed this recently too and it drives me nuts. Even worse is when you switch to another channel and find the same commercial you were trying to escape from playing.

#1025348 - Tue Dec 10 2013 10:10 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
This is why when I switch the channel I tune to a live sporting event. More often than not, they are not at a commercial. non-sports viewers might not really care to use this method though.

My first method is to DVR everything and just skip the ads that way, but some shows I don't do that with.

#1025357 - Wed Dec 11 2013 01:58 AM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK†
Trying to watch television with my brother-in-law is a nightmare. As soon as an advert comes on he switches channels, and continues to do this until he finds something (anything) which isn't showing one. By this time, he's forgotten what he was watching in the first place. When I visit, I take books with me!

#1025361 - Wed Dec 11 2013 02:55 AM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England†UK††††††
I don't tend to watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio. On those occasions where there is something that I simply must watch, as soon as the commercial breaks start I pop out and make a cup of tea.

I don't buy magazines either due to the quantities of marketing/advertising garbage that they carry as well.

#1025525 - Wed Dec 11 2013 06:57 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: sisterseagull]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I DVR everything - to the extent I never know what shows are on when anymore. I sometimes watch them on my iPad via the TiVo app and have noticed that months ago, most commercial breaks were 3:30 minutes and now they're 4:00 or 4:30 long! (MTV and Bravo usually have the longest commercial breaks.)

Editor for Television Category

#1025526 - Wed Dec 11 2013 06:59 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: rossian]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: rossian
Trying to watch television with my brother-in-law is a nightmare. As soon as an advert comes on he switches channels, and continues to do this until he finds something (anything) which isn't showing one. By this time, he's forgotten what he was watching in the first place. When I visit, I take books with me!

My dad does that all the time. It was the worst when we were trying to watch "Star Trek" and a hockey game was on at the same time. The family would end up yelling at him to change the channel back and he would claim it was probably still a commercial (we were usually right!).

Editor for Television Category

#1025528 - Wed Dec 11 2013 07:38 PM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England†UK††††††
If I watch television, which isn't often, I tend to watch the BBC. Which means no commercials. And if I wanted to watch a programme that had been on a commercial channel, I watched it via the internet catch-up service and my adblocker would remove the ads for me. I was happy. However ITV has now programmed its catch-up service to spot if you're using an adblocker and it won't let you view a programme unless you disable it. &*£%*!

#1025613 - Thu Dec 12 2013 10:28 AM Re: Commercials conspiracy [Re: darksplash]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England†UK††††
Quote:
the BBC. ... means no commercials

True, but I find the endless trailers between BBC programmes to be just as annoying as any commercial, since they rarely "trail" anything that I'm interested in. And even the BBC isn't above pushing its own commercially available products ("A book to accompany this series is available in the bookshops now, price £29.99").

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong