Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1025719 - Thu Dec 12 2013 11:25 PM Crystal Ball deja vu
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
How is this allowed to continue? The "word" last hour was lxxxvi, 'being six more than eighty'. Couldn't the algorithm that selects or rejects candidate words be set to reject Roman numerals? Please?
Getting to the 10 minute mark gives lxx which has, though limited, 18 (?) possible finishes: lxxi - lxxix. Go the moment before and lxx was a possible guess. Prior to that the clue lx does have a fixed finite set of responses and does not challenge our word knowledge at all.
I never noticed these number types showing up until recently, begging the question, "Has a new Dictionary finally been found that we can finally make corrections to in the other word games?"
If the Roman numbers are to continue, could the length of digits be limited to five or less so several of us might guess the right one and then get the win by lottery. Now it goes to the one who can type roman numerals the fastest.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Dec 12 2013 11:29 PM)

#1025722 - Thu Dec 12 2013 11:43 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: mehaul
How is this allowed to continue? The "word" last hour was lxxxvi, 'being six more than eighty'. Couldn't the algorithm that selects or rejects candidate words be set to reject Roman numerals? Please?

Sure, the algorithm could probably reject Roman numerals. But personally, I think the Roman numerals are fun. Just pure chance. I like that.

Prior to that the clue lx does have a fixed finite set of responses and does not challenge our word knowledge at all.

It challenges your knowledge of Roman numerals, which are technically words. And besides, is OY really any more challenging?

I never noticed these number types showing up until recently, begging the question, "Has a new Dictionary finally been found that we can finally make corrections to in the other word games?"

Nah. As I've said in the CB thread that was recently locked, certain words were not selectable until it was changed recently.

Now it goes to the one who can type roman numerals the fastest.

Do you actually play the Crystal Ball? The word always goes to the person who types it the fastest. If I wasn't fast, I never would have won POGONION recently.

_________

Personally, I would rather see time taken to "exterminate" some of the biology entries that virtually no one knows nor cares about (exhibit A: burrawong).

Edited by pent2go (Thu Dec 12 2013 11:46 PM)

#1025728 - Fri Dec 13 2013 01:46 AM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW†Australia††
I don't think the CB goes to the fastest typist at all. Not from what I've been told anyway.

And how can "lxxxvi" be considered a word when it's a set of Roman numerals? One might as well say 12345 is a word as well.

Not that I really care. The subject heading of this thread just caught my eye. I refuse to play that game anymore as it irritates the 198920 out of me.

#1025808 - Fri Dec 13 2013 05:46 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Hmmm, pent2go, regarding your comment "Personally, I would rather see time taken to "exterminate" some of the biology entries that virtually no one knows nor cares about (exhibit A: burrawong)"

That in fact is an Australian plant, quite a lovely one. With some 23,000,000 people living in this country, I can assure you we know it and care about it very much.

#1025816 - Fri Dec 13 2013 07:03 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
A suggestion has been made in another thread to clarify the rules to make it clear that any dictionary entry is fair game. I think that's a very good way to deal with this issue.

#1025831 - Fri Dec 13 2013 08:40 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
weissmarc Offline
Learning the ropes...

I am the player that made the "suggestion" to clarify or amend the rules. My post was not clear, my apologies.
My suggestion should have been phrased that anything at all between the 2 covers of a dictionary should be allowed, be it a number, a hyphen, a word- as long as it's in the dictionary it's fair game. While we're at it, we should also include all the abbreviations that people use while texting, and all the various "words" that pop-up when people use the auto-correct function. Spelling differences such as recognise/recognize should be ignored since everyone knows what you meant. "Gangstuh" should be perfectly acceptable, and how about "nite" instead of "night"?
These are just a few "suggestions" to get the game back on track- I'm happy to help.

#1025833 - Fri Dec 13 2013 09:20 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: weissmarc]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: weissmarc
My suggestion should have been phrased that anything at all between the 2 covers of a dictionary should be allowed, be it a number, a hyphen, a word- as long as it's in the dictionary it's fair game. While we're at it, we should also include all the abbreviations that people use while texting, and all the various "words" that pop-up when people use the auto-correct function.

My autocorrect only pops up with "real" words. Granted, they aren't always the words I want to type, but they aren't a string of letters that don't make sense.

Originally Posted By: weissmarc
Spelling differences such as recognise/recognize should be ignored since everyone knows what you meant. "Gangstuh" should be perfectly acceptable, and how about "nite" instead of "night"?

But which spelling of recognize/recognise or color/colour be used?

I'm not sure about using slang such as "Gangstuh".

#1025835 - Fri Dec 13 2013 09:23 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: Creedy]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Originally Posted By: Creedy
Hmmm, pent2go, regarding your comment "Personally, I would rather see time taken to "exterminate" some of the biology entries that virtually no one knows nor cares about (exhibit A: burrawong)"

That in fact is an Australian plant, quite a lovely one. With some 23,000,000 people living in this country, I can assure you we know it and care about it very much.

A slight misunderstanding here. While burrawong is in indeed quite the obscure plant, it's not the primary reason I think it should be removed. The primary reason is that 99% of the other plants don't exist: ultimately it's inconsistent. This also happens with zinnwaldite, a type of mineral.

I agree with weissmarc to an extent here. But, we already have a perfectly good dictionary: it's just been mangled to the point where thousands of common words can't be chosen. For example, I don't even think the word "moisture" can possibly ever show up. Why? I have no idea.

#1025847 - Fri Dec 13 2013 10:57 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: pent2go]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
Originally Posted By: pent2go
For example, I don't even think the word "moisture" can possibly ever show up. Why? I have no idea.

Obviously you can work out absent endings through a long enough period, but I am still at a loss how to prove a negative existence of a single word, and many single words. Surely using the rules of logic and statistics, if there are many thousand words, how can a handful of specific ones be certain not to be in the database even if you noted every single result down for ten years?

I certainly know a few real swines like dacoit or pesthole seem to appear more often than most, although we do tend to remember when they do, but cannot work out a single method in any area of science where anyone could categorically know any individual words are not in the database without actually having direct access to it. I'm not saying you do, I am saying I can't see how you can actually be certain you are correct.

UN IPCC

#1025850 - Fri Dec 13 2013 11:52 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
We will have to wait until we never see moisture then, won't we Guru? wink

#1025859 - Sat Dec 14 2013 02:56 AM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Lol!

Oh but look at the time. My garden, which includes two lovely burrawongs, needs watering smile

#1026674 - Thu Dec 19 2013 02:14 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Here's a first (we haven't got the answer yet but that's not required), a pair not just initials but including a capital letter fM (and not even at the start). I think the database is plumbing new depths.

UN IPCC

#1026675 - Thu Dec 19 2013 02:21 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Maybe. From what I can tell, the word in question has always been selectable. There are simply so many words to choose from that it could have easily just slipped by for 3+ years. There aren't that many words that fit this pattern, I'm sure...

The alternative possibility is that the CB game was not changed a while ago, but reverted to a point before words like this were removed. Which might also explain etc.

In any case, I think it's likely that the word this hour probably has shown up in Mind Melt before. So someone should know it, methinks.

Edited by pent2go (Thu Dec 19 2013 02:22 PM)

#1026679 - Thu Dec 19 2013 02:46 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW†Australia††††††††
functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging ....

And some very interesting guesses. smile

Edited by ozzz2002 (Thu Dec 19 2013 02:47 PM)

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1026684 - Thu Dec 19 2013 02:54 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I am assuming this guess had a space at the end as normally words too long or short are not accepted (or with the wrong starting pair): fml I haven't seen that happen before either.

Reverting to an earlier set could make sense but the fuss made when all the dots and dashes appeared in the past wouldn't make that a very popular decision if deliberate?

UN IPCC

#1026692 - Thu Dec 19 2013 04:19 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
weissmarc Offline
Learning the ropes...

"The fuss made when all the dots and dashes appeared"? Not too condescending, eh?

#1026695 - Thu Dec 19 2013 06:41 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Not at all, I was one of the people making it from what I remember!

UN IPCC

#1026701 - Thu Dec 19 2013 10:04 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Abbreviations and the like were removed a long while ago, so unless it was recently added back to the word pile, there is no way "fMRI" could have 'always been a possibility' until now.

But I do like having all these weird combinations in the game. Exciting. smile

#1026818 - Fri Dec 20 2013 01:09 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
pent2go Offline
Participant

This hour's secret word begins with the letters e. .

OK then. I'm now officially ready for e-.

#1026822 - Fri Dec 20 2013 01:39 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Can we get a badge for guessing that the reveal at '10 to' will be a space?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1026824 - Fri Dec 20 2013 01:46 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
And the winner is ....

Player pent2go of team Ultimate Opportunists guessed the word of this hour!
The word was e.g.

#1026828 - Fri Dec 20 2013 01:58 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Interesting...

. is in the second half of the alphabet.

#1026841 - Fri Dec 20 2013 03:20 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
Can we at least get a definition of the word 'word' for the purposes of this game alone. People seldom say "e.g.", as it sounds unnecessarily obtuse, but they do say "for example". I have never heard anyone (expect a Latin teacher) say "LXXXVI" although eighty-six is a common enough term. I think we need boundaries or are we moving on to Klingon expressions next? I used to enjoy the game, now it appears to be nonsense. crazy

#1026852 - Fri Dec 20 2013 04:29 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
pent2go Offline
Participant

It's always been nonsense. It's just a little bit more noticeable now.

#1026856 - Fri Dec 20 2013 04:31 PM Re: Crystal Ball deja vu [Re: mehaul]
CmdrK Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nevada†USA
Alexis, Hab SoSlIí Quch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry