Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1028246 - Tue Dec 31 2013 10:17 PM Interview with Salami_Swami
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Pagiedamon
I've always wondered what your username means and how you chose it. Please do tell.
wink

It doesn't really mean anything at all. When I first joined the site, I played RuneScape. This was meant to be something that replaced that game... My parents didn't want me playing that anymore. So I was playing games on Cartoon Network's website, but it wasn't capturing me. Neither was EZone. So I googled trivia, because I love it. I found FunTrivia and fell in love, but couldn't think of a name. Everything was taken that I would actually want to use. So I went back to Cartoon Network and played one of those games similar to the Magic 8 ball. Ask it a question, yes or no. It featured Shaggy from Scooby Doo. It was called Salami Swami. I thought, why not? So I typed it in and it wasn't taken. So, salami_swami was born. I used it everywhere online for years, until I finally adopted Xaqqary.

rossian
I can see from your profile that you live in Colorado. All I know about your state is what I've learned on FunTrivia - the meaning of its name and that there seem to be some mountains there. What can you tell me about it to entice this Brit to visit?

I live here.

But no, really, I personally don't like it, because I've been here all my life. What most people love about Colorado are the mountains... They really are gorgeous. The air is always so fresh and crisp (though I'm from Greeley, so we smell the rendering plant here a lot), and there's always snow somewhere. wink Winter sports are popular here, it's a great place to ski. But quite honestly, I hate the cold, the ever-changing seasons (some people like Colorado because one day it can be 95 degrees and the next day will snow ten inches...), and I've seen the mountains every day I've been alive. It's really a great place to visit, more so than actually live, in my opinion. I'd recommend to anyone to visit Colorado. But don't move here. :P

looney_tunes
Do you have any pets? If so, tell us about them. If not, why not?

Pets. I have none. My mom is highly allergic to cats... So much so that she can't even visit someone who had a cat in the past without having an asthma attack. Dogs, I simply don't like. I find them depressing. I like cats, though I'm allergic too, because if I wanted to be left alone a cat would be happy to oblige. wink Dogs are more work, and I'm not overly fond of them anyway. I hate fish; they're creepy and take too much work to look nice. Unless you don't mind spending thousands, it's always so ugly looking. And birds are freaky, and reptiles smell, and don't cuddle as well. If I were to have a pet, it'd be a single cat.

Pagiedamon
What can you tell us about your "real life"? Are you in college and/or working? Any significant other?

In real life I am searching for a job. I was laid off in August, and took a few months for a break just because. I was going to move to Florida, but I changed my mind. Everyone I love is here. Next week, after everything settles down, I'm going to get a job of some sort. Doesn't matter what, whatever makes me money. :P I still live at home, no relationships of any kind, and I'm not ready to be looking yet either. I'm 21, addicted to Mai Tais and Xbox360. No college for me. Maybe a few courses later on in life. I would like to become a freelance copy editor. My resume doesn't show it yet, but that's what I want to do. So being a FunTrivia editor would be great too. wink

looney_tunes
If you remember, how did you first find FunTrivia, and what was the first aspect of the site that attracted you?

Well, it was back in 2005 when I played RuneScape. I didn't play for long, but needed something to replace it. Finding FunTrivia was great. I didn't really realize it until I found the site how much I really liked trivia. I love Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, and relating odd facts to friends. After only a few quizzes. I realized FunTrivia was just that. It was a virtual game of Trivial Pursuit featuring odd facts I could relate to friends after answering Jeopardy questions and getting weird looks when I rattled off obscure knowledge I shouldn't know... The site was perfect. It had everything. That's what attracted me the most; the site as a whole. Bits and pieces were okay, but I loved everything together. I also enjoyed those game shows we had back then. I spent a lot of time there. Reminded me of "Jeopardy".

kyleisalive
You've pretty much grown up on FunTrivia. How has being a part of this community affected your 'real life'? Any odd stories in that regard (I only ask because I keep getting jobs only when I put FT on my resume)?

I keep forgetting to add FunTrivia to my resume. It would probably help to know I have 400+ quizzes published and on the internet for millions of people to play. I'll have to remember to do that. wink

As far as the community here affecting my real life, it really does. In little ways, but they add up. It seems that I get a lot of strange looks when I say ta instead of thank you (my iPad doesn't even like the spelling of ta as a word), and spell theatre without the "er". My speech had been morphed into some weird hybrid of everywhere... I get a lot of strange looks when I use random Australian phrases no one knows. I talk to my Australian friend a lot, because I'm the only one he can say "toad in the hole" to and understands. Lol. No real big story, as can recall. But I do think being on FunTrivia has made me smarter, in general. In 6th grade (I'd just started FunTrivia at this point), I took placement tests to get into a charter school. I tested post-college level in math and English, and college level in science. So something here did something to me.

rossian
Being so much younger than I am, you are a child of the digital age. Do you have any outdoor hobbies? (Playing video games outside doesn't count).

I grew up with couch potato parents. I never learned to ride a bike, and I had to teach myself to kind of swim when I finally decided a 16 year old should know how. I do enjoy swimming, but I'm also too insecure to be in a public pool without a shirt. Lol. I used to be super athletic, a fast runner, etc. then I started online school. That's my biggest regret about homeschooling. My laziness skyrocketed. I do enjoy some sports, but for the most part, I'm too embarrassed by my pitiful weaknesses and overall terribleness of all outdoor activities to actually play any of them with friends. I do enjoy volleyball, and play that a lot in the summer. I also enjoy ice skating. I hate roller skating, mind you, but I love ice skating. Those are the two sports I enjoy enough not to care how poor I am at them. :P I also enjoy bowling and pool. But I do love a good outside video game. wink OH, I almost forgot. Tennis.

rossian
I know you are a "Doctor Who" fan. If you could time travel, which eras in history and which countries would you most like to visit, and why?

I'm not at all a history buff. I would choose to visit the future. I am fascinated with what could be. What was and what will always be doesn't interest me. I'm not into history. But traveling to the unknown, where things that haven't happened yet are happening around me, that would be a real treat. And in this case, I don't care WHERE I visit. I would like to travel back in time to London in the late 1700s to early 1800s. That would be cool. But, of course, as a time traveler, why not see it all?

Pagiedamon
Please tell me what a typical day in the life of salami_swami looks like.

Life is drastically different than it used to be. Even next week will have an entirely different answer than I have for you now.

A typical Monday involves waking up around 10-11 and playing my Xbox for a bit. Eat lunch, do the same thing later on. I have a hard time sleeping at night, so I won't be in bed until 12-1 at least. I do watch TV at night if there's something good on. If not, Netflix or Xbox games. wink Tuesdays I wake up early and go out in the door to door ministry, as I'm one of Jehovah's witnesses. The rest of the day looks like my Monday. The rest of the week looks like those days on repeat. Wednesday nights I attend out congregation meetings. Weekends are different. I've got a lot of friends and my time is unpredictable. Bowling, movies, spending nights at houses, etc. they're all possible. Most times my days just look like the rest of the week, though. wink Sunday has another congregation meeting to attend.

kyleisalive
Describe for me your perfect vacation (almost tempted to add 'living or dead').

I'm fortunate to get my perfect vacation in pieces throughout the week. Seeing all my friends is one of my favorite things. Hanging out with friends playing video games is another favorite. And sipping on a Mai Tai. I get those often, so I'm set. As far as an actual vacation, though, I'm not one for museums or sight seeing... So my visit to Florida was great. I visited friends, played video games with them, and spent much if my time and Disney World. Sitting on the beach would get boring after so long. I could sit at home on my porch and read a book. I'd rather a vacation be unique. And full of activities.

looney_tunes
Having written a few zillion quizzes, you will obviously have found some categories for which you find it easiest to write. Which is your favorite category (and why), and which your least favorite (and why)? Are there any for which you have not yet screwed up the courage to write a quiz?

Having at least five quizzes in each of the 20 categories, I can comfortably say which are my favorites. I enjoy Brain Teasers. For me, they come easily, and if they don't, they're more fun to write anyway. I write a lot of For Children and Video Games quizzes, but they're not really even my favorites. I write Video Game quizzes because they need more attention, and I have an easy time with writing them because most of my knowledge is in the category. I hate writing in Sci/Tech and Religion. And People is terrifying, too. But for me, my favorite category is any of them as long as I have a good idea, motivation to write it, and time.

kyleisalive
We've known each other on FT for too long. Why haven't you been writing many Video Games quizzes lately, and why is your answer 'because I haven't had time'?

Well, I've not been in the mood to write quizzes. I currently hate it, but I have reasons. I do not have a computer... At least, not one I can rely on, so I only play on my iPad. Typing on it takes forever, and errors are far too many. Answering this question, it's now taken two hours at this point. I am used to making a quiz in an hour or two, so it now taking ten hours is frustrating. and I've gotten a lot more corrections since using my iPad. As soon as I can afford a reliable computer, I will be writing a lot more often. And ever since the newest iOS update, my clicks don't always register. It starts loading but nothing happens. I haven't even played as many games lately because of it. When a game doesn't submit, and it get an 800 second time, I get frustrated. I have to be careful not to look away. And I can't click submit twice or it messes me up to and I can't see the answer page.

looney_tunes
What's your personal favorite of all the quizzes you have written?

I don't know as I have a favorite, but several I had fun writing. "Perfect Replacement" was so much fun, and it's been received rather well also. It was my first attempt at photo quizzes, and I wanted to make a common category completely original and unique. I think I did that.

I was also fond of "Yours Truly, Madly, Deeply". It seemed unique when I wrote it, and I still enjoy it. Looking at my list, I realize how wonderful "Scrap Metal" is. That quiz was written as an author challenge title... Before the lounge even existed. Our team had the first ever Quiz Commission, and we had a thread with author challenges, and someone wanted a quiz about Scrap Metal. I did it. smile Most of my quizzes rated impossible, typically difficult brain teasers and song titles with food puns in them, and found on the last page of my quizzes, are also my favorites. I'm also overly fond of being the owner of the infamous "Chocolate Vault" quiz. ;P

looney_tunes
What's your personal favorite of all the quizzes written by others that you have played?

It's the top quiz on the site, so I'm not alone. When Kyle wrote "Historical Figures on Cue Cards", I was upset. That was one of my original ideas whenever I got the ability to make photo quizzes. But then I played it and realized he made it far better than I ever would. I thoroughly enjoy that quiz. WesleyCrusher's "WWE Questions" was also magnificently done in my opinion. I tried writing one question similarly, and failed. I realized the genius involved to make those questions in he way he did... It was something special.

I also like anything by Adams, and any quiz that takes me through a story... One that had vivid imagery and leads me through a story that happens to ask questions along the way... I love those. In my opinion, if a quiz is able to remove all the questions and still be a published short story or short film script, it's excellent.

WesleyCrusher
With all those authoring challenges you take (and usually do really well on), I'm sure it happened to you that you've created something based on a challenge and later kicked yourself for it because you had that absolutely great idea after the quiz went online. Can you give an example and outline the quiz that you rather would have written instead?

No, actually. If I take a title, I've already shuffled through the 20 categories and chose the best possible quiz I could write. Looking through my list, nothing I regret, and they all fit the challenge well. I mean, I do regret taking tons of challenges years ago and turning them into simple follow my directions brain teasers, but that's what I could write with the titles. I do not know of any other idea I could have had for the titles. Besides, to me, every quiz anyone writes is a masterpiece in its own way. I would never 'rather' have written something else. However, sometimes a title gives me two ideas. I'll write both anyway. And some have spawned sequels, trilogies, and even series. So I don't think I'd ever change any quiz I wrote. smile

WesleyCrusher
Imagine you had the power to take revenge for all the authoring challenges you were given - you can choose a single title and all editors must write a quiz with that title in one of their categories (that would be a lot of different quizzes all with the same title). What would that title be?

I have no qualms with the editors... I'd like to give certain authors difficult titles... wink Okay, I'd choose "Doctor Who Are You?" I want it to be about Doctor Who, references, whatever. In every category.

WesleyCrusher
You've been one of our primary testers for several new developments - what were your favorite and most frustrating experiences in these tests (as far as you can tell without spoiling anything)?

Favorite experience is simply being the one chosen for testing. It's such a great honor and privilege and I don't see how any aspect of it could be better than being chosen. The frustrating parts are simply knowing how much you know that I don't while I'm testing... I know you're sitting in your chair laughing at your deviousness. I remember visualizing what you must be thinking as I struggled through the Ascension. Lol. Although it makes me laugh when you then realize I am failing because of your mistake. :P

rossian
As a self proclaimed 'badge tart' which badges do you most covet and which do you think you have no chance of attaining?

I covet every badge and badgelet that I do not have. I want them all. I feel like every badge is an honor to win, and it am proud of every single one... And I want the rest added to my collection. I know I can win most, with perseverance, time, luck, or actually trying... But there are a few I know I will never win, which upsets me greatly. I have determined that I will never win monthly WAI or Mind Melt, and I have failed Immortal so often that I've all but given up. I will never win Ambassador and the Leader badge was removed (it was kept honorarily for a while until I led the team again). I am sad I will never get it, but I have no intention of leading a team again. There are several more I think I can never obtain, but I know there is a possibility if only I tried.

looney_tunes
If you could be a character in any video game, who would you want to be, and why?

That's a tough one! I think it depends on the exact form of the question. Based on the game itself and what adventures the character goes through? I'd choose Sora from "Kingdom Hearts". As far as their life and their relationships, I'd choose Sora once again. As far as simply having a great life with wonderful adventures, Lara Croft. But if you want me to choose based on pure awesomeness, I'd choose any of the main characters from "Assassin's Creed". But, if you want me to choose a video game character based on every aspect of everything, I'd choose my Mii character. You know, the one based off of myself on the Wii? Because, after all, is there anyone we should ever choose to be but ourselves? Each one of us is special in our own ways, and it wouldn't trade it for anything.

WesleyCrusher
Let's play that game again: Tell us four interesting facts about yourself - three true and one completely imagined that you'd just wish would be true! Make it hard for us to guess.

This was my favorite game on the boards. Here we go.

1. I've only been out of the continental United States twice in my life. Once, when I was 3 or 4, we visited Hawaii. I don't remember anything about it now, since it was so long ago. However, when I was 14 or 15, we visited the Bahamas, which I do indeed remember. This was my first time out of the United States.
2. Even though I wear ties all the time, I don't know how to tie one correctly. I create different braided and woven knots to add a bit of uniqueness to my ensemble. But if you want a simple triangle knot, I wouldn't be able to tie it like I was supposed to.
3. I have a bizarre memory. Ask me what I most recently watched on Netflix, and I won't remember. However, I do remember what my babysitter fed me for lunch when I was six, on the day that I was allowed to wake up from nap early and play outside... The same day I discovered that red ants bite. I had macaroni and cheese that day. I didn't like it, mind you, but that's what I had. Oh, also, when I lived in Utah (I was 6 in this instance, too, we lived there only a month or two) we went to a friends house for dinner. There was a giant candle to the left of the doorway leading to the bedrooms, but I don't know who it was we ate dinner with.
4. I love to sing. Karaoke is a favorite thing of mine. Even though I think I sound atrocious, I'm told I'm actually pretty good. I am better at singing low songs, rap songs, and generally fast and upbeat songs. However, even though I only know English, I'm best at singing songs in other languages. When I sing "Gangnam Style", I sound just like PSY, and I sing it well. Same with songs in many other languages.

kyleisalive
Finally: Advice? Any? Quizzes? Life? Words of Wisdom?

I only have one bit of advice for quizzes... Listen. The editors only want to help, so listen to what they tell you, and don't ignore any advice they give you. They know what works and what doesn't better than any of us. Listen to them. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Read the advice on the chat boards. It's sound advice. Good advice we can all use.

Also, it sounds cliche, but, as far as real life, be yourself. Dr Seuss says it best: "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

This is good advice for us all. We need to be ourselves. If we aren't ourselves, who is there that can be? Someone needs to be us, and we're our own best candidates. So don't let a day go by where you try to be someone you're not. Always be you. You're special.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Edited by Pagiedamon (Mon Jan 06 2014 04:13 PM)

#1028267 - Wed Jan 01 2014 06:19 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Terrific interview, Salami!

#1028270 - Wed Jan 01 2014 07:01 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay
Devon UK
Hmmmmmm... That was the most interesting of all the interviews I've read!

#1028272 - Wed Jan 01 2014 07:32 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Quote:
What can you tell me about it to entice this Brit to visit?

I live here.

I'm not sure that was quite the answer I was expecting, but it made me smile!

#1028274 - Wed Jan 01 2014 07:41 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
doublemm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England UK
Poor dogs!

Nice interview. I like the idea of the game mentioned in the penultimate question. I'm going to guess that number 2 is a fib.

#1028295 - Wed Jan 01 2014 10:51 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Thanks all. smile

2 is a truth. If anyone followed my Instagram or Pinterest they would know that I post my tie knots all the time. I tie them with fancy knots, and I love trying to be fashionable. I watched YouTube videos to learn the knots, and after so long tying them, I've forgotten how to tie it normally. I can get it to look the same, but it's not tied in a normal way when I do.

smile

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1028300 - Wed Jan 01 2014 11:16 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
Great interview.

#1028301 - Wed Jan 01 2014 11:24 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
You've got to keep people dangling a bit longer than that, Salami. I'm going to guess at number four being the made up story. I don't quite see you belting out 'Je ne regrette rien'.

#1028312 - Wed Jan 01 2014 01:28 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
Has having met, or at least heard, many dogs in your Door to Doors had any effect on how you view the fine species?

We can't open our door for the Congregation up the block from us because our dogs are always making too much noise at the doorway when they come by, some of the older members who have been by the house previously even ring the bell and run back 10-15 feet or have the younger members ring the bell because they know we have loud sounding dogs in our house, they are very cautious even though none of the dogs have ever gotten outside when they have come by, or even poked their heads out the door when we have to explain why we can't let them in if they aren't deterred by the barking.

#1028320 - Wed Jan 01 2014 03:16 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Interesting interview Salami. I'm going to say that #3 is false because in one of your early answers you said that you have lived in Colorado all your life. In #3 you mentioned living in Utah! (I enjoyed the *which one is false* game very much, but it didn't seem to be too popular.)

Happy New Year! Hope you find an interesting job soon. smile

#1028349 - Wed Jan 01 2014 08:28 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Bxbarracuda, it has had a bit of an effect, but I've never liked dogs. Even when I was little I only liked one dog. My aunts. Then it bit my sister. No more love of ANY dog after that. wink

#1028350 - Wed Jan 01 2014 08:30 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I'm going to let you guys dangle a bit more, as per rossians request. wink

#1028356 - Wed Jan 01 2014 10:07 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I would consider #1 "almost correct" - aka false: the Bahamas and Hawaii sound too much like dream vacations to me (as in places you'd absolutely like to visit but never yet been to) from the rest of your interview

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Jan 01 2014 10:08 PM)

#1028418 - Thu Jan 02 2014 10:51 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Kiddo, get yourself a keyboard for that iPad so you can write again.

#1028432 - Thu Jan 02 2014 11:57 AM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Salami-- sign up for the next Commission.
I'm confident you'll get both done in due time, but I'd be frustrated to see the blotch on your record.

#1028468 - Thu Jan 02 2014 06:19 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I will, Kyle. When is it? Lol. I'll write my current commission quiz as soon as I can...

As for the facts.......

I do have a bizarre memory. I did mention living in Utah... But a month in a state when I was five most surely doesn't count. :P

I can sing all sorts of non-English songs at karaoke. If only most places actually HAD the songs I like. Aiuta by GReeeeN and Dragostei Din Tea by O-Zone are personal favorites.

I have only been outside of the US once, when I went to the Bahamas. That was true. I've never been to Hawaii, but I would love to visit someday!

I have been to the Bahamas once before, but as someone still inside my mother's belly, I don't count it either. wink

#1028482 - Thu Jan 02 2014 09:39 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Great interview, salami! I've been looking forward to it. smile

#1030101 - Wed Jan 15 2014 02:04 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Sweet interview, mate - it seems my time on Funtrivia has morphed my speech, too.

Rossian, Colorado is so breathtakingly beautiful that is beggars description. Photos do not do it justice. If I were taking a sabbatical from regular life to go off an write somewhere, that's where I would go.

#1030122 - Wed Jan 15 2014 03:51 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Good interview Salami. You're a much nicer/complicated/interesting young man than I had thought previously. Wishing you continued success. I wish that, like you, I knew what I wanted to do with my life at your age LOL!
: )

#1030180 - Wed Jan 15 2014 07:33 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Thank you both. smile

#1030182 - Wed Jan 15 2014 07:42 PM Re: Interview with Salami_Swami
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
If I were taking a sabbatical from regular life to go off an write somewhere, that's where I would go.

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Screen-Shot-2013-10-31-at-12.11.20.png

What could go wrong?

Edited by kyleisalive (Thu Jan 16 2014 01:11 PM)

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, rossian, sue943