Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1028403 - Thu Jan 02 2014 09:13 AM QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I rarely play quiz game mode unless I'm given it as a challenge but every time I do I get the same problem.

On some quizzes (or just a couple of questions in other quizzes) the answer options are showing up immediately after the question does which doesn't give you the option of reading the question.

It doesn't happen every quiz and usually is only a few questions in ones it does do it in.

I'm just not sure what type of problem this is - is it something to do with the particular quiz that a correction note would let the editors earmark it or is it a random act?

Does anyone else have this problem?

#1028405 - Thu Jan 02 2014 09:37 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
This has happened to me and there are some messages about it somewhere - possibly in the Daily Challenges thread. The explanation offered by one person, and which seems the most likely, is that it happens after you've clicked on an earlier question to get the answer screens to appear more quickly. This is the only 'pattern' that I've been able to detect, but I still forget when I'm playing in that mode.

#1028408 - Thu Jan 02 2014 09:53 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
It would be nice to track this down and fix it, but it's extremely difficult without a reproducible case. If anyone can ever find a quiz and a series of clicks that makes this sort of thing happen each time, that would be SUPER helpful. Please post here if you ever find such a scenario. As it is, I simply don't know if/when it's fixed since I can't get it to happen.

#1028447 - Thu Jan 02 2014 02:14 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Unfortunately i played too many today to remember which ones I had problems with but I'll remember to copy them in future

#1028508 - Fri Jan 03 2014 04:19 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
It just did this for me on the following quiz:

A Dog's Life - The White House Observed
Author: Nannanut

I was using Chrome, but couldn't give the sequence of clicks.

#1028530 - Fri Jan 03 2014 09:49 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

do you remember what question on that quiz quick-skipped?

#1028533 - Fri Jan 03 2014 10:17 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

England UK         
I've just played it again, and it skipped on 3, 6, and 9.

#1028538 - Fri Jan 03 2014 11:51 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Hmmm just ran through it using Chrome and had no problems. do you use the keyboard at all? or just click?

Do you wait for the questions to "go up" on their own, or do you click to speed it up?

Edited by Terry (Fri Jan 03 2014 11:52 AM)

#1028539 - Fri Jan 03 2014 12:10 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

England UK         
Just clicking, and waited for the questions to appear on their own.

#1028545 - Fri Jan 03 2014 01:24 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
What operating system are you using, dippo? I just did that quiz with no problems using Chrome on Windows 7. (Just trying to eliminate possibilities.)

#1028546 - Fri Jan 03 2014 01:26 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

England UK         
Windows 7!

#1028578 - Fri Jan 03 2014 06:44 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Played the same quiz, iPad, iOS 7 with newest update. Happened to me on 2, 5, and 10...

The other 7 questions I read the question quickly and pulled up the options sooner by tapping my screen. With 2, 5, and 10, the answers came up immediately and time started ticking, without my clicking beforehand.

#1028579 - Fri Jan 03 2014 06:46 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Played again, could not recreate. 2 did it again, everything else normal.

#1028754 - Sat Jan 04 2014 09:45 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
First, here is the quiz mentioned above.

Now, click on it and try playing it, without speeding it up. You'll notice that there isn't enough time to read through the entire questions.

I tried copying and pasting the text of each question that I read in the given time, and am finding that in each case, it's suspiciously close to 255 characters.

Perhaps whatever is controlling the amount of time given to read the question is capped way too low because it's not large enough bit-wise.

And like I suggested in the last thread, perhaps the speeding up (after mouse clicking or whatever) is not being properly reset between questions too.

#1028761 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:27 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Interesting observation Nautilator... I'd be interested to see if it's only quizzes with really long question(s) have this issue. Please post to this thread if it happens with any other quizzes.

#1028799 - Sun Jan 05 2014 09:53 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Actually when I think back to when I had the problem they were often very long questions (like a paragraph) .

I'm actually quite a fast reader so often click to get the answers faster with no adverse effects afterwards but its when I haven't even finished reading the questions that it happens which is highly suggestive of the fact that it is any long question that is triggering it - I'm usually about on the second line when the answers start coming.

#1028818 - Sun Jan 05 2014 12:03 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

It had been long questions for me, too...

However, it switches to show the answer options IMMEDIATELY at times. I hadn't even read the first word.

#1028840 - Sun Jan 05 2014 02:44 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I've encountered this issue also - always with quite long questions.

#1028852 - Sun Jan 05 2014 05:49 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Terry]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: Terry
Interesting observation Nautilator... I'd be interested to see if it's only quizzes with really long question(s) have this issue. Please post to this thread if it happens with any other quizzes.

Tried with Dear Athena and got the same results. It seems that the amount of time allotted is based on the number of non-space characters, and reading at a calm pace I generally get to about 255 before it goes to the end. Likely is some cap is being reached time-wise with overly-long questions.

I've had the insta-skip problems before too, but there could be more than one problem here. Here are the full results I got, with [non-space characters, total characters].

Dear Athena My problems started when I was a toddler and tried to lift a rock. It fell on my head, and I developed short-term memory loss. I have trouble remembering things, and it's caused me untold problems. When I went to Crete to destroy the Minotaur, I met this great girl named Ariadne (or was it Adrianna?) [256, 313]

Dear Athena I am a male in my early twenties. I've always been somewhat confused about my sexuality; recently, I was in a relationship with a wood nymph, but it wasn't working for me. She was a nice girl and all, but she had some annoying habits that I couldn't deal with, like [225, 277]

Dear Athena I actually have two problems I need to deal with. One is anger management; whenever anyone challenges me, I fly into an uncontrollable rage and do something really awful. Once, this satyr challenged me to a musical competition, which really ticked me off. I beat the [231, 278]

Dear Athena I'm not going to mince words: I hate my mother, she is the cause of all my problems. For one thing, she murdered my father. She says she did it because he sacrificed my goody-two-shoes sister Iphigenia, but that's just an excuse; she was having an affair with this sleazy guy named Aegistheus [250, 304]

Dear Athena I am totally frustrated. I have the gift of prophecy (given to me by Apollo), which means that I should be able to prevent all sorts of calamity. The problem is that people either don't want to listen to me or, if they do listen to me, they think I'm crazy. It's not my fault that terrible things lie ahead for my [262, 325]

Dear Athena My life has been a living hell ever since my husband left me for some airhead Corinthian princess. There was nothing I wouldn't do for this man; without me, he would never have found that golden fleece he was looking for. When we eloped, my father took off after us [226, 277]

Dear Athena I've been searching for the right woman for years, but it's been one major disappointment after another. Recently, I got so fed up with it all that I decided to make my own woman (I'm a sculptor). I carved a really beautiful girl out of ivory; she's so lifelike, I expect her to come alive at any moment [256, 315]

Dear Athena Okay, I guess stealing fire from the gods and giving it to humans was a pretty nervy thing to do, but I do think Zeus is overreacting just a bit. I just felt so bad watching those poor people down there eating cold meals and trying desperately to keep warm in the winter. [229, 283]

Dear Athena Not to sound conceited, but I've always been an extremely attractive woman (my mother says it's because I was hatched from a swan's egg). Men have always gone a bit crazy over me, though I swear I never do anything to lead them on. I really love my husband, the king of Sparta, but I foolishly ran [251, 309]

Dear Athena My wife says she doesn't believe in prophecies and oracles, but I'm beginning to wonder... I should start at the beginning: when I was about eighteen, an oracle told me that I would murder my father and marry my mother. It didn't seem very likely, but just to be on the safe side, I left home and struck out [259, 319]

#1028854 - Sun Jan 05 2014 06:00 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

I don't know much about specific programming languages but it doesn't seem that any variables in flash are limited to 8 bits? I do know that you've got a cap of 255 characters for a quiz's intro text. Perhaps that, or something similar is causing this -- maybe the time calculated for the allocation is looking at the wrong variable to determine the total length.

#1028885 - Mon Jan 06 2014 12:02 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

It may account for some of the problem, but I would imagine there is something else, as I've experienced the question flipping over much quicker than 255 characters!

#1028970 - Mon Jan 06 2014 04:31 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Well it took ages to track down, but I think I found and fixed the original issue (questions losing their delay).

In theory fixed... I hope...!

#1028987 - Mon Jan 06 2014 06:06 PM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Thank you, Terry.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1029013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 02:28 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Thanks for the fix, Terry and for your efforts. I haven't played anything in quiz mode since but I'll try and play some today.

#1030623 - Sat Jan 18 2014 10:38 AM Re: QUIZ GAME MODE DISFUNCTION [Re: Midget40]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Thank you for the fix - I've had no problems since and it's fabulous to be able to use the quiz mode more again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry