Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1031428 - Thu Jan 23 2014 11:44 PM Do you still have a landline?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I was listening to a podcast of a US radio show the other day and a girl was a contestant on a quiz and something came up that she was ringing up from her grandmother's house as her grandmother was the only person she knew that had a landline. (I guess you had to call from a landline for the radio but that's beside the point)

She made me feel like a dinosaur! laugh We don't get mobile phone coverage where I live so a landline is a must but still I think most people I know, even if they do have coverage, still have a landline.

Did your household give up landlines and what about the people you know?

#1031429 - Fri Jan 24 2014 12:15 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
I do! In this wonderful , super technological special zone called Hong Kong, we cannot get a mobile signal in the house! To explain a bit , it may be because we are "right out in the countryside with mountains all around at least 20 miles from Town " (duh). I do not divulge my land line number to many people so weekends are bliss. The phone never rings.Long live land lines.

#1031430 - Fri Jan 24 2014 12:31 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Yes, we still have a landline, but we use SKYPE for most of our calls. My mobile sits in my handbag and gets consulted when friends meet me and tell me they have been leaving me messages all week. I then discover that the battery is run down and put it on to charge, then begin the cycle again of transporting it all over the place but never hearing it ring.

#1031432 - Fri Jan 24 2014 12:51 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW†Australia††††††††
We have a landline, but it is only used for a modem. I do not even know the phone number of it.

Mobile phone plans are so cheap these days, that it is not worth plugging a phone into the landline. As a bit of an aside, I was asked by my ISP to test the line by using a 'normal' phone, but did not have one. Out of curiosity, I went to the local Telstra (Australia's largest telco) shop, and was told that they did not stock home phones any more. They suggested that I go to St Vincent de Pauls or Salvation Army shop!

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1031434 - Fri Jan 24 2014 01:34 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
After having the wires to my landline being neatly curled up and tacked to the side of my house for more than two years, the phone was reconnected last month.

Yes, I'm keeping it. I am keeping it because when I call for an ambulance, the dispatcher can see my address. This cannot be done with a cell phone. The cable line is still hanging because I currently do not have a computer (only an iPad) or a TV.

During those two plus years of no phone, the phone company insisted the line worked. They always said "I can hear it ringing on my end." I told them they were calling the cemetery and calling my dead grandmother.

#1031435 - Fri Jan 24 2014 01:34 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
sb22705 Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
Still have a landline - my home is situated on the cusp of any of the mobile phone provider signals. More often than not my mobile phone will chirp to let me know I've missed a call instead of the call coming thru.

#1031437 - Fri Jan 24 2014 01:55 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
We still have a landline too smile Both me and Mum have mobile phones to keep in contact with each other when we're out, but the landline is very important for the relations etc. The cold-callers still know us too! laugh

#1031456 - Fri Jan 24 2014 03:31 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Originally Posted By: ren33
I do! In this wonderful , super technological special zone called Hong Kong, we cannot get a mobile signal in the house! To explain a bit , it may be because we are "right out in the countryside with mountains all around at least 20 miles from Town " (duh). I do not divulge my land line number to many people so weekends are bliss. The phone never rings.Long live land lines.

For a small fee the number can be obtained by anyone wanting it, just send me a cheque. smile Only joking, she would flatten me next time she sees me.

Yes I have a landline, my mobile is only switched on on certain occasions. Each year I pay £5 as a top up to keep my number. I perhaps use my mobile about three times a year, not many more.

#1031498 - Fri Jan 24 2014 08:42 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sure do. I only use my cell when out of town.

Smart phones are wonderful things, in general, what what they are not is good phones. I have hearing issues and there is no way I could communicate with the outside world in any meaningful way just using my cell - it's just not a very good phone.

#1031502 - Fri Jan 24 2014 09:03 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
During Hurricane Sandy, in the Fall of 2012, the land line was the only thing that worked.

For a week, there was no electricity, no heat, and no cell phone service. The only way to communicate to the outside world was with the land line. I had been thinking of giving it up, but now -- never!

#1031514 - Fri Jan 24 2014 12:37 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Still have a landline, in a power outage it's the only thing that still works. My husband has a heart condition so I need to know I can use a phone if necessary under almost any circumstances. I'm like Sue, keep the mobile in case of emergencies when I'm out and about but that is it, hardly gets used at all.

Perhaps (apologies to Sue) it's an age thing with mobiles. I really see no point in being glued to a phone whatever you happen to be doing.

#1031520 - Fri Jan 24 2014 03:24 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Christinap]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
Originally Posted By: Christinap
I really see no point in being glued to a phone whatever you happen to be doing.

And on the other hand, I really see no point in paying for two phones/phone service. No I don't have a landline. My cell phone works fine in power outage, depending on what the cause is. If it was because of a really bad storm, then sure it's possible the cell tower and such was damaged too and if it's a really long time that the power's out, eventually the charge on the phone would run out. But I'm really not worried about that. If I absolutely needed to, I could drive five minutes to my parents' house to talk to them or use their phone, or two minutes in the other direction to my aunt's house. I know that won't help if I'm having a medical emergency but again, I'm really not worried about it.

#1031526 - Fri Jan 24 2014 04:38 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

It's whatever works for you really isn't it. We have patchy mobile phone coverage on a good day, atmospherics and pressure changes can knock it out. In an emergency, as we are a rural area, there is nowhere close to drive to if the power is out and the mobile won't work, hence the land line preference.

#1031530 - Fri Jan 24 2014 05:20 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]

I will say that I think a landline is a good idea if there are multiple people in the household and not all have their own cell phone. One of my colleagues also doesn't have a landline but now that her daughter is getting older, she's started to get annoyed with her daughter's friends calling Mom's cell phone. I live alone so really don't need a second phone.

#1031538 - Fri Jan 24 2014 07:09 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
We currently have a landline and two cell phones (with different numbers). The husband wants to put everything on cell (supposedly they can give us the same number as our landline if we go with the same provider). But, I really don't want to get ANY of his calls. And no one phones ME on my cell because I either never turn it on, or the battery is dead. At least with the landline, the phone takes messages that either of us can access (assuming we want to - he does, I don't lol).

I suppose it's fine if you're young and healthy and live in areas with really good access to several cell towers (in the case of power outage/damage) to rely solely on cellphones and it would probably be much cheaper in the long run, but it you live in less populated locations, your service is probably spotty at best.

Apparently there are also various "medical alert" choices as well (we just got some of them installed in my mother-in-laws apartment - she's 85 and actually probably healthier than I am, but still, you worry). My own mother has her emerg contact communication hooked up to her security system for her house.

I agree with Christina - it's whatever works best for you.

#1031540 - Fri Jan 24 2014 07:19 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Don't know about other countries but here if you have a burglar alarm that is central station monitored you need a land line for that. Although most of them will send alerts that it has been activated to your mobile the people who do the central station monitoring and who will phone the police if it is activated and you don't respond to a phone call with the correct password do that via landline.

#1031541 - Fri Jan 24 2014 08:31 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I live with my hearing impaired father who has an amplifying phone provided by the local company free of charge. It's still frustrating for him to use as the hearing aid must be taken out just in time to catch the call before the machine. As we get mainly advertisements he doesn't catch on until he gets very annoyed. I've tried to circumvent this for him by putting my other phone on there and using the screen but it's just too much to handle for him. he's not doddering around but figuring out if the caller is legitimate is hard enough for me much less my father.

We need it for emergencies and that's his lifeline to the family as he doesn't use e mail.

Here's a good method of getting rid of some of the scammers. I've recently found a great way to get rid of the scam from certain countries. If I see an unknown number on the screen, I pick it up as it could be some of our friends or family living in other countries, but I say very cheerfully, 'How may I help you?' as if it were a business. If it's the computer virus scam that's all around the world, they kind of ask, 'is this a private residence?' and I say, 'No you've got the police station, just a moment I'll put you through...' and they hang up. If it's someone I know, they'll laugh.

#1031554 - Fri Jan 24 2014 10:18 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
We must be doing it wrong, if people find it cheaper to use cell phones. My landline, which includes my computer access, is cheaper than my kids pay for their iPhones monthly. That's another reason I wouldn't switch to just using a cell - I'd still have to pay for wireless for the computer, so it's considerably more expensive.

#1031561 - Fri Jan 24 2014 11:58 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Agony: there are "package" deals where you get several things in one lump price. Right now, we're a couple of "techno dummies" because we're paying for: landline connection, two cellphones, internet, internet "to go" via a Bell contraption that plugs into a laptop, cable TV AND satellite TV. Bell (and just recently Shaw) have an "all in one" thing that (assuming you want ALL of those mentioned) IS cheaper (in the long run) than paying for them independently. There are also plans for cellphones that don't cost very much (but only if you're not on the dang thing every five minutes like the "younger" folks seem to be and DON'T do texting - gasp! lol). Telus supposedly has some kind of new program too, but I've been ticked off at them for years and haven't really looked into it seriously ~

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jan 25 2014 12:02 AM)

#1031629 - Sat Jan 25 2014 08:52 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: agony]

Originally Posted By: agony
We must be doing it wrong, if people find it cheaper to use cell phones. My landline, which includes my computer access, is cheaper than my kids pay for their iPhones monthly. That's another reason I wouldn't switch to just using a cell - I'd still have to pay for wireless for the computer, so it's considerably more expensive.

You're right that a landline is cheaper than just an iPhone. My iPhone package is close to $70/month and a landline would be about $40 - but that's only cheaper if I didn't ALSO have the cell phone. Since I wouldn't give up the cell, I wouldn't pay an extra $40 every month for a phone to just sit there in my house unused. Most days I get a total of one phone call, from my mother. I don't need to be paying for two phones for that!

#1031641 - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:17 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska†USA††††††
I haven't had a landline since 2005. As some of you know, that was a rough time for me, and a landline just wasn't feasible. Nine years later, the only time I've missed it since has been when I mislaid my cell phone and wanted to call my number so I could look for it smile

Edited by stuthehistoryguy (Sat Jan 25 2014 11:34 AM)

#1031642 - Sat Jan 25 2014 10:26 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]

You're right, that's the only downside - can't call the lost cell phone! Been there.

#1031652 - Sat Jan 25 2014 01:34 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
It probably is an age thing, I agree, having been brought up without any home telephone until I was in my early 20s, I had to use a phone box a few hundred yards away from the house and for emergencies we could use a neighbour who had a telephone, not many in our road had them. Once we had a telephone installed it was good. I really do not need a phone switched on, if I am at home then there is the landline, if I am in the car it is illegal to use a phone, if someone wants me when I am out of the house they can leave a message on my answer phone and I will get back to them. Not many things are urgent enough for me to have to have the phone switched on. I can see that it might be useful for children to be able to contact a parent when there is a problem but again, we managed without when my children were young. When my children were more independent and needed to contact me for a lift home (rotten bus service) then they used a phonecard and would phone me from a call box, perhaps to say they would be on such a time bus and I would drive to meet them so they didn't have to walk a mile and a half home from the bus stop. We managed.

I carry my phone so that if my car breaks down I can call the garage, if I am travelling and my plane or train is late I can phone to let anyone meeting me know of the eta. It literally gets used less than a dozen times a year and I do not have a problem with that.

What I hate to see, and what is quite common, is a mother pushing a child and talking on the phone. Part of the way that a child learns is to be talked to as mum pushes them about.

#1031677 - Sat Jan 25 2014 06:07 PM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
One thing that would really help me is if my father could text and he just hates it. He has told me why he's not into phones though. He was a parson's son and during WWII in particular, his father had access to a car and gasoline because of his work, going out to console people and what have you. The phone would ring when his parents were away and he loathed taking care of that sort of phone business. I know that when we lost my mother, the phone became his lifeline with others but until we got him the special phone, it became incredibly hard to get through to the house as he couldn't hear and it would frustrate him so.

Texting, when used properly and not obsessively, is a major boon because you can get word through to someone when the cell phone reception is low. Yesterday I was scheduled to meet someone who had car trouble and got a text explaining why she hadn't shown up. I was relieved. Otherwise I'd have sat there worrying as she's very reliable and punctual.

Cell phones are practical if not overused. We went about thirty miles for a special part and it looked as though the shop was closed. I called the number and the man said 'oh you're at the back gate...I'll stay open for you if you come down about two hundred feet.' whew...all that trip would have been wasted without the phone. Plus, I'm learning how to use the new phone (android) and you google the shop, then it asks you if you want to call it, and you say yes and bingo.

Another reason I am getting used to the new kind of phone is I got hopelessly lost one day driving a truck to pick up some things yet I knew I was only about a mile or two away. I used the map thing and it showed me where I was. I don't even know how to use all the functions but realizing I wasn't that lost was great relief. It also shows you traffic hazards ahead which is practical. I hate to rely on such a convenient crutch but it's helped me out many a time since I got it.

Landlines are becoming obsolete because telemarketers are the only ones who seem to use them in this area.

#1032986 - Wed Feb 05 2014 05:48 AM Re: Do you still have a landline? [Re: Copago]
Scottie2306 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canberra ACT†Australia††††††††
Yes, I have a landline. It has 6 handsets scattered through the house and has an intercom function. I CAN HEAR IT. I don't always hear the mobile phone (we don't call them cells) and since getting my new smart phone which does everything and chews batteries at a great rate, I find it is usually on the charger. And no matter how high up the volume is turned, it's still not as loud as the handset. But the best feature of all - I can talk for as long as I want to. We do not have timed local calls here, and I have a capped rate on long-distance calls. I'm laughing. However, I do have to pay to call a mobile number, so I get annoyed if someone wants me to return a call and leaves a mobile no.

The phone books (paper and online versions) mostly only list landlines, so if you don't have someone's number it can be impossible to find them.

I am also concerned about the radiation from mobile phones,so I don't talk for long on mine. But, as Bruyere has said, the telemarketers and charities still use landlines frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943