Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1032023 - Tue Jan 28 2014 08:21 AM South Texas ice...twice!
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TXUSA
Who'd have thought Houston, Texas, would have two winter storm warnings in the matter of five days? It happened.

Parts of Austin have been crippled as well. Several schools have closed for the day.

Story for Austin and Houston, however, looks like Houston's has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory as of this morning.

Edited by dg_dave (Mon Feb 03 2014 03:45 PM)

#1032040 - Tue Jan 28 2014 12:40 PM Re: South Texas ice...twice! [Re: dg_dave]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
You know Dave, we have zero sympathy for you up here, where it's been hovering around -20 C for the last three weeks before the wind chill. On top of the 15-20 cm of snow. wink I'm sure the people in Western Canada have experienced a lot worse than us here in southern Ontario.

It sure has been a crazy winter all over North America. From this extreme cold weather currently, to the ice storm that knocked out power to most of eastern Canada through the week of Christmas. Now this deep south freeze. Hoping spring comes sooner rather than later.

#1032046 - Tue Jan 28 2014 01:25 PM Re: South Texas ice...twice! [Re: dg_dave]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
When I was working in Houston three years ago there was one day that I couldn't get into work because they had closed down I-69 from Kingwood for "ice" and a dusting of snow that was gone by 10am. That's nothing compared to the winter we're having here in Ohio this year. Worst winter in my entire lifetime. The university has been closed more days than I can remember, and of the four weeks we've had so far, there was only one where we were in class in the whole five days. I did enjoy working in Texas in the winter, though. I worked in Houston one winter, and Dallas the next (I liked Dallas a lot better than Houston). In Texas, it was like Ohio's fall weather in January, and Ohio's summer weather in March. I don't think I could survive Texas summers though, they sound awful.

#1032112 - Tue Jan 28 2014 11:25 PM Re: South Texas ice...twice! [Re: George95]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

I promise you that you'd rather be here in Dallas in the summer than in Houston! Humidity will choke you up in Houston.

Originally Posted By: George95
You know Dave, we have zero sympathy for you up here

Austin has been hit twice in the last five days and I don't want any more wintry anything to hit Austin...I know someone who lives there and I don't want her to get out on that ice (I was so relieved when they canceled school classes there...both times)...because people here in Texas don't grasp the concept of driving in wintry conditions...I'd rather get out on it than to see her get out on it, and I am in Dallas, which had a nasty ice storm in early December.

Edited by dg_dave (Tue Jan 28 2014 11:25 PM)

#1036554 - Mon Mar 03 2014 10:57 PM Re: South Texas ice...twice! [Re: dg_dave]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Yet again, southern Texas (Austin) is getting icy weather at the time of this post (31F or -1C) mad mad mad mad ...and it was 84F (29C) here in Dallas on Friday. We got sleet on Sunday, but it is about all gone now.

Edited by dg_dave (Mon Mar 03 2014 10:58 PM)

#1036670 - Tue Mar 04 2014 04:40 PM Re: South Texas ice...twice! [Re: dg_dave]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Baltimore broke the record for lowest recorded temperature... set in 1873.

Editor for Television Category

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943