Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#820034 - Fri Aug 31 2012 03:37 AM How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
My monitor just died so I had to go and buy a new one and it is wide screen. My text is therefore wider and also images are distorted in that a square is now a rectangle.

Can I set something to allow me to view things as they ought to be?

Edited by sue943 (Fri Aug 31 2012 03:51 AM)

#820037 - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:24 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Ok worked it out by Googling the problem and now have text too small but will look to see what I can do for thatk

#820041 - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:43 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I am getting there. smile

#820123 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:20 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW†Australia††††††††
Sue, there is a command for rotating the picture by 90 degrees. If you did that, and then turned the monitor onto its end, would that help?

(PS, be sure to turn both picture and monitor in the same direction.)

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#820147 - Fri Aug 31 2012 11:18 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: ozzz2002]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
very helpful there, oxxx grin

Better still, just hop on down to ozzz's place, as everything is on its head there already ... no need to muck about with your monitor ...

#820160 - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:44 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: Santana2002]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
So you've figured out how to change the resolution I'm assuming through your googling. Now that the text is too small you'll want to increase the DPI Setting. To do that (I'm assuming you are using Windows) go into where you changed the resolution - Right Click on the desktop, choose Properties, the choose the Settings tab in the panel that comes up like you did to change the resolution).

At the bottom of that tab, lower right, should be a button called "Advanced". Click that. There should be a tab on that panel called "General", click on that. The first section is "Display" with the DPI setting in a drop down menu. Choose "Custom Setting" and try out 130 or 135%. (You might want to try a couple different numbers to see what you prefer) but after each time you set it you'll have to click "Apply" in the bottom right corner of the panel. The screen will flicker and set and give you your changes.

I'm not sure operating system you are using, but if it's Windows it should be basically the same for any of them. Give that a shot anyway.

My parents needed a new monitor and I actually shopped until I found a square one just for this reason...I didn't want to have to mess with changing resolutions to a finer setting then change DPI settings. It was like pulling teeth getting them to agree to a 1024x768 resolution to begin with, let alone something "smaller". lol

#820165 - Fri Aug 31 2012 03:26 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: pyonir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I just installed a wide flat screen as my monitor today. It was my TV but the audio went so I got a new TV for shows and will use the no audio as a monitor. I had talked with ga_jam about if I needed new drivers for it but it seems they aren't needed. I needed to get a new VGA-male to VGA-male cable. When I turned it on though, my task bar was off the bottom of the screen and my shortcut icons were off the side of the screen. For Windows I was able to get to the monitor settings by right clicking on the desktop. Then I chose properties. From there I went to the settings tab. At the screen resolution slide pointer I put the pointer to a little less resolution and hit the apply button. If you have gone through the accessibility options by magnification or reduction, you might want to backtrack and do the change through the monitor settings route.

Did you get LCD or LED?

For those who have had problems with a LCD monitor, there was a class action lawsuit advrtised in the USA last night for folk who've had failures with them. the address was www.LCDclass.com

These problems are probably mostly for smaller portable devices rather than TV sets but who knows? It may be worth a look see.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Aug 31 2012 03:29 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#820231 - Fri Aug 31 2012 11:54 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: mehaul]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The way of getting at the control described by Pyonir is a little different in Windows 7:

* Right-click on the Desktop.
* Select 'Personalize'.
* Click the 'Display' link (bottom-left of the Window).
* Click 'Medium - 125%' or 'Larger - 150%'.
* Click 'Apply'

Individual Windows text sizes can also be adjusted if you would prefer to do that.

Windows XP:

* Right-click anywhere on the Desktop.
* Select 'Properties'.
* Click 'Appearance' in the box that opens.
* Select the 'Advanced' button.
* A drop-down 'Font' list will be available where individual Windows font sizes can be adjusted.
* Click 'OK' to apply changes.

Getting to the same settings in Windows 7:

* Right-click anywhere on the Desktop.
* Select 'Personalize'.
* At the bottom of the Window that opens, click on 'Window Color (Custom)'.
* Click the link labelled 'Advanced appearance settings...'.

I prefer to alter Windows Font sizes this way myself because I think the display in general ends up looking clearer but this is just an opinion. I only alter one setting in the available adjustments. This is called 'Icon'. No need to alter the icon size in that section but only the text size. I can't remember what the default size is but mine is set to '11'. This increases the text size in both Windows Explorer and the text that goes with the icons on the Desktop.

All other text sizes can be adjusted within the programs that give text sizing options (Word Processor and Browsers for instance).

Edited by tellywellies (Sat Sep 01 2012 12:01 AM)

#820273 - Sat Sep 01 2012 04:07 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: tellywellies]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The directions from the Microsoft Help Center/Troubleshooting Wizard:
Control Panel,
Appearance and Theme,
Troubleshoot - display
o-I cannot set the resolution above 640x480 - Next

To check your monitor selection

Open Display Properties in Control Panel.
Click the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Monitor tab.
The monitor that is selected for your computer is displayed under Monitor Type.

If correct monitor isn't listed, click Properties.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Update driver.
After the Hardware Update Wizard starts, click Install from a list or specific location, and then click Next.
Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, and then click Next. This provides a list of monitor manufacturers and models.
In Manufacturers, click the manufacturer of your monitor, and then in Models, click the model name.

If your monitor isn't listed, click (Standard monitor type) in Manufacturers, and then choose the most compatible setting for your monitor in Models.
Click Next, and then click Next again.
Note

To open Display Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
---------------

The directions from mehaul:
But then if you can "set the resolution of the monitor above the 640x280"(default Standard selection, which was the case in my switch), all you need do is use the less resolution to display more of the screen image. You can see the resolution the pointer is set for below the slide pointer. I set mine today to the 1280x768 to present the screen, the task bar and icon shortcuts as they were before. Never had to select a new monitor type or driver, never had to choose a manufacturer, never had to try plugging in my own screen dimensions (which should be found in the technical section of the TV's manual). I have just lost a few lines off the bottom of my browser window since the relative height to the width is less than before with a 17" CRT monitor.

Could someone point out where the "correct answer: never, seldom, often, always" button is located?

#820419 - Sat Sep 01 2012 11:49 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: mehaul]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

When you buy a monitor, it will usually have figures written on the box and in the manual such as:

1920 X 1080
1680 x 1050
1366 x 768

This states the 'native resolution' of the monitor. The native resolution is the number of pixels that go to make up the display and this built into the monitor by the manufacturer.

For best display definition, the computer's resolution setting should match the monitor's native resolution. Anything else can lead to a display that is less sharp than it could be, circles that aren't round and parts of the display disappearing off the edge of the screen. The same applies to non-widescreen monitors. If you have one that has 1024 x 768 pixels for instance, then set the computer to that.

Once that's done, think about other ways to increase text sizes.

Edited by tellywellies (Sat Sep 01 2012 11:50 PM)

#820514 - Sun Sep 02 2012 11:48 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

LCD.

About the only place there is still a problem is in Outlook, oh and Freecell is quite small.

#820515 - Sun Sep 02 2012 11:50 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I would add that it was a bargain, £162.50 instead of £299, perhaps that is why there was no book of words.

#820540 - Sun Sep 02 2012 03:48 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

This page has useful information and links regarding how to increase text sizes in Outlook:

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_listfontsize.htm

#820800 - Tue Sep 04 2012 12:55 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

You are a genius! That worked a treat and I can now see everything there.

If you can make FreeCell bigger too I would truly be in heaven! smile

#820823 - Tue Sep 04 2012 01:59 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: sue943
If you can make FreeCell bigger too I would truly be in heaven! smile

On Windows 7, you can click the 'Maximize' button (next to the 'Close' button) or just drag the Window to a larger size. I'm not sure if this works in XP. See if it does. I haven't got XP any more, so can't try it.

If not, the only way would be to play FreeCell with the screen resolution set to a lower figure. Put it back again when finished playing.

#820837 - Tue Sep 04 2012 02:33 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Hell's flipping teeth!

I just came to the computer and when I brought the screen back up it was completely black on the righthand side. I hae now disconnected the new monitor and connected up an old spare one, small.

Unless anyone can come up with an answer I guess it will have to be taken back to the shop tomorrow.

#820847 - Tue Sep 04 2012 02:55 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Could it have been more that the picture had shifted to the left? Close the computer down, reconnect the new monitor and start the computer again to see it the problem still exists.

#820850 - Tue Sep 04 2012 02:59 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Try using your Control Panel to set the PCs values to what they were a week ago before you began changing things. Then just reset the resolution. I noted that after a turn off and restart, the PC automatically selected a preset resolution amount once I had it in the ball park. It changed itself from the above noted 1280x784 to 1280x780.

Edit to add: When you do make changes to the settings, be sure to hit the apply button. After a stand-by the settings will revert to what they were before without the applied changes. It sounds like the PC set itself back and upon coming out of slumber put the old parameters in effect.

If the problem went away with the CRT monitor, then your video card is probably fine and you just have to change the resolution on your image. The video card sets up the scan and sweep of the image based on the frequency of your power (50 cycles per second in Europe vs 60 cps in the USA). The resolution tells the PC what to make the outside dimensions of that sweep and scan. The old CRT monitor was probably at a resolution of about 800x650 and the resolution on a wide flat screen is in the 1200x800 area. And, that change will take place across the board, not just to this program or that browser, everything will set at the declared and applied resolution.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Sep 04 2012 04:46 PM)

#820920 - Wed Sep 05 2012 01:30 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: mehaul]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

You have completely lost me. Surely if it went back to its old settings I would have the stretched images again. This old flatscreen monitor is working fine, I now have large font mind you as everything was changed for the new one by trial and error.

It wasn't shifted to the left, I couldn't see the right side so for instance when wanting to shut down I couldn't see restart, only the left half of the shut down button, it literally cut the screen in half, half fine and half black.

#820925 - Wed Sep 05 2012 04:35 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

It is ok again now.

Actually I am beginning to wonder if I had a monitor problem in the first place or whether I threw away a perfectly good one.

One of the silver nut/connections from where you screw in the monitor was missing and I have replaced it with a spare and all is well.

I will see how it goes and if it goes funny again I will take it to be looked at.

#820944 - Wed Sep 05 2012 07:06 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

If only one screw was present and tightened, that might have partially pulled out the pins of the non-tightened side of the connector ..enough to make for an unreliable and intermittent connection perhaps.

I hope all will be OK from now on.

#821043 - Wed Sep 05 2012 01:24 PM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: tellywellies]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Wiggle wobble the hooseydingey and close your right eye so you only see the left side and everything should be okay.
Hang a garlic string over one corner to help ward off mischief demons.
LCD: Looks Can Deceive.
This was predicted by the Mayans 3,000 yrs ago.
Only use in a room that has no portable, flying objects.
Stop sitting on the remote control.
The cable batteries may need replacing/servicing.
Shake the carton it came in and if you hear anything bouncing around inside, utter the phrase, "Oh, oh!"
Blame your internet service provider (IOW, did any neighbors experience image compression faults too, indication a source problem).
Islands are entitled to only half a picture (read the fine print).
Make a claim on your optical network as causing your initial problem.
Was time a factor?
How's the new power outlet doing or are you still on an extension cord?
In all honesty, good luck.

#1032195 - Wed Jan 29 2014 11:27 AM Re: How can I view things 'properly; on a widescreen? [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Sheesh, my monitor developed the same problem again, half the screen, last week, I took it to the shop and they changed the screw thing and it was fine for a week but yesterday it happened again so I had a new graphics card fitted and blow me down when I plugged it in all the text was stretched again so I came to this thread but hadn't written down what I did to resolve the problem. I had to Google again and the answer was to move the setting to the far right. Solved - so next time I will have it here to save me having to search again. smile

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29