Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#1033172 - Thu Feb 06 2014 02:54 PM First Time Authors
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hampshire England UK         
Hi Editors!

I am sure this has been discussed before, but is there a list of categories closed to first time/newbie authors? I remember Brain Teasers is a no go area, but are there any others?

Thank you :-)

#1033173 - Thu Feb 06 2014 03:07 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Other than Brain Teasers, I don't believe there are any categories that are always off limits to first timers. If a particular category is really really busy we can set it to temporarily not allow first time authors (among other options), but I'd say that's fairly rare.

#1033174 - Thu Feb 06 2014 03:10 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Though it might not be set in stone across all categories, I'd suggest first time authors would also be discouraged from submitting to most of the more specific Word Play subcategories too. These are usually Brain Teaser like quizzes with more specific subject matter.

#1033176 - Thu Feb 06 2014 03:31 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Harry Potter and Greek Mythology are both extremely difficult for first-timers. We already have so many quizzes in each of those categories that it is very hard to avoid duplicating questions, and come up with an innovative approach. But I recently did get an excellent first-time quiz submitted to HP, so it can be done. It's just a lot harder than it seems at first glance.

#1033207 - Thu Feb 06 2014 06:13 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
veronicavee Offline
Participant

Loc: Algarve Portugal
This is not a criticism. Surely new authors should be encouraged.
Members of my team often ask me if they should try a quiz. My reply is always yes, go for it.
As asked in the original question......where is this list of unavailable subjects?
Thank you.

#1033209 - Thu Feb 06 2014 06:22 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Well there isn't any list. Other than Brain Teasers, nothing is set in stone. There are some categories or subcategories where we may encourage first time/newer authors to gain more experience before trying to write in said subcategories, but some authors do just fine on their first attempt. Like Liz posted above, the Word Play/brain teaser type subcategories in other main categories are not specifically banned for first time authors, but it may be suggested to the first timer that they're not ready to write a Word Play quiz and to try again after writing a few regular quizzes. One thing to note is that first time authors can only use multiple choice questions and this often doesn't work for word play/brain teaser type games.

We definitely do encourage new authors. My reply to anyone asking if they should try writing a quiz would also be yes, go for it. But it's generally a good idea if they start with straightforward quizzes. Brain Teasers for example has some different regulations and the quizzes can get complicated. It can be frustrating for a new author and frustrating for an editor trying to work with an author who wants to make a complicated quiz when they haven't mastered our basic requirements.

Edited by guitargoddess (Thu Feb 06 2014 06:25 PM)

#1033232 - Thu Feb 06 2014 08:18 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
New authors (indeed, all authors) should always read the category guidelines for the category in which they intend to place their quiz - there's a link at the top of the template once you have placed it in the intended spot. There they will see the restrictions in place for that exact sub-category. This often includes advice to play existing quizzes in order to avoid duplication of questions, as well as detailed information about some of the common errors made in new quizzes for that category. First time authors aren't discouraged from writing quizzes, but they are encouraged to avoid categories and types of quiz that will not work. If the advice in the guidelines makes it sound too hard (no need to play all 657 Harry Potter quizzes, but if you want to write a quiz on spells, there are 37 to check), they should probably rethink their plan and find a more accessible category.

#1033235 - Thu Feb 06 2014 08:29 PM Re: First Time Authors [Re: looney_tunes]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Another word of advice to first-time authors: kick off with a ten-question quiz. Incredible as it may sound, there have been some first-timers who have submitted a 25-question quiz - and made a dog's dinner of it.

Editor, History and People

#1033306 - Fri Feb 07 2014 06:28 AM Re: First Time Authors [Re: bloomsby]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

As long as we're offering suggestions, it's also a good idea to start with a topic that you are comfortable writing about. It can be difficult getting used to a new system (FunTrivia Quiz Creation Guidelines and Category Guidelines) and coupling that with figuring out how to write good questions about an unfamiliar topic will just add to the difficulty of your first attempt. As other editors have posted above, we have seen examples where first-time authors are able to accomplish this without it becoming overly stressful, however, for many first time authors it can be very discouraging.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#1033347 - Fri Feb 07 2014 11:44 AM Re: First Time Authors [Re: Plodd]
veronicavee Offline
Participant

Loc: Algarve Portugal
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4