Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1024170 - Tue Dec 03 2013 11:25 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I've just realized a situation that is akin to the topic: Sliding glass double doors. Is the slider on the right or left going out? It's definitely on the reverse coming in, but is there a standard of slide left or slide right from the inside. The set I had on my last home were slid from left to right to open on the outgoing direction. Does this convention vary around the world?

#1024172 - Tue Dec 03 2013 11:28 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
If they are double glass doors, they usually slide both ways, and open in the centre.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1024180 - Wed Dec 04 2013 12:11 AM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Sliding glass doors are two large panels: one slides; one is fixed in place. I have never seen any that slide to the outside into wall pockets. Not that they don't exist, they just aren't common in general construction.
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_glass_door
where it says 'slide either way' are made but I wonder if a preference exists depending on world location. The one shown in the wiki article is reverse to the one I had (I assume that is a screen slider over the door slider in the article image, but in each case, the slide is from right to left coming out through the door).
Sorry if my use of 'double' was confusing.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Dec 04 2013 12:15 AM)

#1024249 - Wed Dec 04 2013 12:59 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I have three sliding doors/windows and one slides one way and two the other.

#1024255 - Wed Dec 04 2013 03:12 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
I asked a few friends and family members about which side of the pavement they walked on and the majority said they walked on the left. My son in law, however, who is a 6'7" rugby player said "I dunno, everybody just seems to walk on the opposite side to me"

#1027300 - Mon Dec 23 2013 03:33 PM Re: En Passant [Re: surdoux]
CmdrK Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nevada USA
As for sliding glass doors it depends on house construction. A house we bought had a sliding glass door leading from the dining room to the deck. The sliding door was on the right as viewed from inside the house. The problem was that it was supposed to have had the slider on the left side. The light switches for the room and the deck were on the left side of the opening. There was also a heat register in the floor in front of the right side of the opening, in front of the sliding door, so when you went in or out you were likely to step on the grating and crush the fins. I know why it happened, when the house was built the builders received a door with the slider on the wrong side but in the best tradition of 1980s New England builders said: "Aw, just install it anyway. They'll never notice the difference."

But we did. And since the door was of cheap construction it was worn out when we bought the house (15 years after it was built). If there was a candle lit on the dining room table the draft from the slider was almost enough to extinguish it, so it was an easy decision to replace it -with a patio door that had its opening on the left.

Edited by CmdrK (Mon Dec 23 2013 03:34 PM)

#1028910 - Mon Jan 06 2014 04:15 AM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

I was only a cyclist in an urban setting for two years as a callow youth in college, and I managed to get into three accidents and three near-misses in that time. When I got a car, I swore I'd never go back, and with only a short exception in 2009, I've stuck to that. If there was not much traffic, I'd prefer the roadway. If there was a lot of traffic, I'd move to the sidewalk. As a driver, I prefer the cyclists stay out of the roadway. I'm only ever a pedestrian between the car and the store. I just got a thing on Facebook with 288,000 likes that says, "Just so you know, if I'm ever found dead on a jogging path, I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there." I could pretty much say the same thing about a bicycle path.

#1033171 - Thu Feb 06 2014 02:21 PM Re: En Passant [Re: CmdrK]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: CmdrK
As for sliding glass doors it depends on house construction. A house we bought had a sliding glass door leading from the dining room to the deck. The sliding door was on the right as viewed from inside the house. The problem was that it was supposed to have had the slider on the left side. The light switches for the room and the deck were on the left side of the opening.

Hah! I have the same situation in my home.

Apparently the 'which door slides' decision is left to the whims of the builders, rather than being planned logically. frown

#1033236 - Thu Feb 06 2014 08:41 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I think sliding glass doors are bi-directional before being hung. You should be able to unhang the doors turn them upside down and switch sides. The channels in the frame are the same outside to inside. Just imagine taking the both doors as a whole unit and flipping it upside down. That reverses the direction of opening. Definitely not a one person job. **Note** not responsible for being wrong.

#1033947 - Tue Feb 11 2014 10:06 AM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
CmdrK Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nevada USA
I'm inclined to say no, Mehaul. The slider on the house we live in now has the moving door on the right (correct) but has a little lock lever - ha, ha - on the lower left so the door couldn't be flipped. And despite the high tech lock we still use a broomstick in the trough.

#1034584 - Fri Feb 14 2014 06:08 PM Re: En Passant [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Actually, our original "patio door" type windows WERE hung both upside down and in the wrong troughs and opened the "wrong way" (well, at least according to functionality of the room layout anyway). They also weren't all that terribly energy efficient since they were on the north side of the house, so invariably, cold air would come in at some level in winter storms. And we always put a pre-cut piece of baseboard in the trough (similar to CmdrK), but of course, if someone really wants in, they're going to break the glass, or take out the entire unit/door with those hydraulic pry lever thingies. Locks don't help. An alarm system might. In any case, we've since replaced the entire unit with "garden doors" (which each open independently of the other - one opens like a real door, the other cranks open to let air in - has a bug screen installed). I don't really care about the security part (if someone wants in, they will find a way) and if I did, I'd build a reinforced house with no windows at all (but then the cops would come investigate every week thinking we were running a drug operation LOL). Anyway, the new doors are really neat, because they're double paned glass, with micro mini louvers between the panes that you NEVER have to dust/wash : ))) I highly recommend them!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  TabbyTom