Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#979714 - Sun Apr 21 2013 01:03 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: Jabberwok]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: Jabberwok
I think poetry might have been a problem, it's a few years since I looked.
I'm perfectly delighted to be told that my impressions are out-of-date and that the situation has improved. smile

Ah, yes, I can see where poetry would be a problem. My work with PG was in the late 1990s and early 2000s and the formatting was not like it is now, very strict and mostly only in plain text. Today, most of the works are available in numerous formats. Dr David Widger has done wonders revamping old files.

#979724 - Sun Apr 21 2013 02:02 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I shall revisit the site, thank you!

#980541 - Wed Apr 24 2013 06:02 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Well, I've now read most of "The Hastings Road and the Happy Springs of Tunbridge" from archive.org, and I have to admit it's not quite as good a reproduction as I originally thought. There are a good many typos (though the only one that proved to be indecipherable was a Latin epitaph which came out looking like a comic strip string of cuss words). The line drawings are, however, perfectly reproduced.

On the whole I still think it's very good value for free. I'll try something from Gutenberg shortly, if only for comparison's sake.

#984864 - Tue May 21 2013 04:20 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: Santana2002]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Originally Posted By: Santana2002

I have to admit, though, that I haven't taken to mine at all. The first half dozen or so books I downloaded are all there. I read one or two of them, but really don't enjoy it half as much as reading a real book. I was hoping I'd like it more and thus buy ebooks rather than real ones, as space is getting very tight on my shelves, but it hasn't happened yet.

I feel the same, Santana. I find my Kindle doesn't hold the charge very good, and it's much nicer to hold a physical book, personally. But I shall persevere with it smile

#995276 - Sun Jul 07 2013 09:52 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: JaneMarple]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Just finished "Fatal Voyage" by Kathy Reichs.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#995311 - Mon Jul 08 2013 03:46 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
James25 Offline
Explorer

Loc: The Netherlands
Just finished reading "The ABC murders" by Agatha Christie (have all her books on my e-reader).

#1013023 - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:13 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: James25]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

'Grave Secrets' by Kathy Reichs.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1034804 - Sun Feb 16 2014 09:01 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
Oh gosh, I have like 20 different works. An analysis of inerrancy in Origen's theology, The Six Enneads by Plotinus, John Locke, John Stuart Mill, Origen, Josephus, Calvin, Abelard, Seneca, Aquinas, Boethius, Chrysostom, Pascal, and Erasmus.

#1034894 - Mon Feb 17 2014 01:31 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
After that list, I'm not even going to say what I have on mine. I defy anyone to top that lot, although I would perhaps be tempted to add War and Peace to it for a bit of light relief.

#1034912 - Mon Feb 17 2014 02:53 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: TriviaFan22]
MikeStears1312 Offline
Learning the ropes...

In their original language, or just in English?

I prefer lighter stuff personally - Steig Larsson and the Girl who kicked the hornet's nest, my current one.

#1034984 - Tue Feb 18 2014 05:04 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
TriviaFan's selection is so heavy, I'm surprised he can even lift his e-book, never mind read it!

#1035033 - Tue Feb 18 2014 04:52 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Origen's theology, The Six Enneads by Plotinus, John Locke, John Stuart Mill, Origen, Josephus, Calvin, Abelard, Seneca, Aquinas, Boethius, Chrysostom, Pascal, and Erasmus.

Actually, they are mostly short tracts. I have a Mill tract and Locke tract, an Origen tract, a Seneca tract, a short analysis of inerrancy in the theology of Origen.

I have Calvin's examination of Jeremiah and Lamentations.

A few of the others are long books. The Summa Theologica is about 10,000 pages. In fact, I don't even think it will load on my device it's such a large file.

#1035163 - Wed Feb 19 2014 04:58 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: James25]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: James25
Just finished reading "The ABC murders" by Agatha Christie (have all her books on my e-reader).

At one time in my life, I could read a book a day. And I had become intrigued by Agatha Christie, so I bought every single one of her books.

#1035429 - Sat Feb 22 2014 02:53 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

"It is simply not true that most people live in a state of prolonged Angst; Camus was right against Sartre on this point, and in retrospect one suspects that in the same way Bishop Mynster was right against Kierkegaard, as Jacob Burckhardt was against Nietzsche. Most people manage somehow."

Peter L. Berger, The Heretical Imperative

I bought this book at a book fair last year. It seemed really interesting. I finished chapter one but had to give up on it about page two into chapter two. This guy was far too erudite for my level of intelligence. It was a pain just reading a few pages at a time. His vocabulary is very strange in some places and I just don't have what it takes to read it.

So I own over two hundred books and I generally finish what books I start but this one I had to end at around page 30. It seems I could sell this book for several dollars online if I choose to sell it.

#1037272 - Sun Mar 09 2014 09:34 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: TriviaFan22]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

I am currently reading the screenplay for the unproduced 2 hour ending of "The Borgias". It was, in my opinion, a fabulous series that was cancelled because it became too expensive to shoot. The writer made the script available on kindle for those who want to know how it was supposed to end.

#1046747 - Wed May 21 2014 05:33 PM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
I'm most of the way through William James' Pragmatism on my phone. It's the first book I downloaded on purpose. The phone came with Three Musketeers, Treasure Island, and Little Women, all of which I had already read, but read again just because they were there. I was quite surprised to find that I disagreed strenuously with most of what William James had to say. Truth with a capital T is not a malleable substance that depends on the observer or the circumstances. Truth stands forever, inviolate, waiting to be discovered. It IS brilliant writing, though, if you've never read it. He's just dead wrong.

#1047703 - Sat May 31 2014 06:12 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

John Wesley, the De Virginitate of St. Ambrose, Maimonides, St. Augustine, Martin Luther,

Thomas More, St. John of the Cross,

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt

I don't read hardly any of this stuff although I've read a little John Wesley and Deliberate D.. D.. The De Virginitate is a very good piece. St. Ambrose was an early father who extolled the virtue of celibacy and virginity and in a lot of ways was criticized as being critical of marriage. This piece goes a long way toward explaining his position.

#1048409 - Mon Jun 09 2014 04:12 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
I have lived my life surrounded by books (64 boxfuls the last time we moved 16 years ago) and was NEVER going to go down the kindle route. However last summer when the weather was so hot and bedroom windows were wide open at night, I decided to try the kindle app for my new iPad so I didn't have to have the lights on when I read at night (to stop the beasties coming in - we don't have screens here, sadly) and since then I have become a total convert. I still can't resist a bookshop, but mostly it's just to check out titles and see what's worth buying. I LOVE the immediacy of clicking on a book and 'ping' - there it is. I currently have 175 titles on there. Another advantage of it is that even great BIG books such as 'Wolf Hall' and 'Bring up the Bodies' aren't a problem to hold and carry around. However, some books still have to be bought in hard copies - my next acquisition will be 'Wordsmiths and Warriors' by David Crystal which I spotted in the Festival bookshop on a recent trip to Hay. Some books need to be HELD!!!

#1048422 - Mon Jun 09 2014 08:02 AM Re: What's on your e-book or kindle? [Re: tjoebigham]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Maggie where have you BEEN?? Welcome back! I really envy you your proximity to Hay. Must be great to be able to pop in.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom