Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1036133 - Thu Feb 27 2014 05:48 PM Photo a day thread -Time Marches on
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
March is imminent and all ready waiting for your posts.

Edited by ren33 (Mon Mar 17 2014 10:33 PM)

#1036185 - Fri Feb 28 2014 12:36 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Sun shining on a calm Pacific Ocean and sheep enjoying the view, on the way down to the Smithfield rock pools in timaru.

#1036222 - Fri Feb 28 2014 05:36 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Thanks Howie, and welcome to those who have March already. Lets hope we have some decent weather for people to get out and take pics, although as Liz etc have shown, bad weather makes for great shots!

#1036235 - Fri Feb 28 2014 07:28 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
The park by the south side of the Welsh Harp reservoir

UN IPCC

#1036242 - Fri Feb 28 2014 08:46 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: satguru]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

Satguru's photo of the ducks (February thread) made me think of this photo that I took last November on the Murray River. I've never seen so many birds in one place at one time (at Lock 1 near Blanchetown). This is just a fraction of the number of birds on the river that day. The birds took no notice at all of the scarecrow (in yellow).

#1036256 - Sat Mar 01 2014 12:24 AM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India

Taken on a flight from Bangalore to Bombay.

#1036310 - Sat Mar 01 2014 04:51 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
What are those birds MotherGoose, they look almost like cormorants. Looks like they are all lined up waiting for dinner to be served

Edited by Christinap (Sat Mar 01 2014 04:52 PM)

#1036316 - Sat Mar 01 2014 05:44 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

What used to be London's longest of three urban motorways, downgraded to an ordinary road when the mayor was created so he could control them as well. Otherwise motorways were out of their hands. They now have 40mph limits despite being 60 for 40 years or so. This was the A40(M) in Ladbroke Grove.

UN IPCC

#1036325 - Sat Mar 01 2014 09:03 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
First of the month must be moving day! I looked out my front window this morning to see this huge moving van bringing my new neighbours to my street.

#1036328 - Sat Mar 01 2014 09:37 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: spanishliz]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:
What are those birds MotherGoose, they look almost like cormorants. Looks like they are all lined up waiting for dinner to be served

Darn, I was hoping nobody would ask me that (LOL). I spent hours on the internet yesterday trying to find out exactly what they were, but without success. All I can tell you is that Maynooth and I think that they are some type of cormorant (possibly a Pied or a Great Cormorant). There were also lots of pelicans and shelducks around as well. It was almost like a scene from Hitchcock's "The Birds".

#1036334 - Sun Mar 02 2014 01:12 AM Re: Time Marches on [Re: MotherGoose]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

The Rotorua Museum of Art and History located in the historic Bath House building in the Government Gardens. Rotorua Museum opened in the South Wing of the Bath House in 1969 and Rotorua Art Gallery opened in the North wing in 1977. In 1988 they combined to become Rotorua Museum of Art and History.

#1036373 - Sun Mar 02 2014 02:46 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The view across the Welsh Harp to my side in Kingsbury

UN IPCC

#1036396 - Sun Mar 02 2014 05:36 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Susie with her beloved tennis ball. She found it when we were out for a walk one day, carried it all the way home, and refuses to be parted from it. Amazingly it has survived for three months so far ,don't know what I'll do when it gives up the ghost as I'm sure no other ball will be anywhere near as good.

#1036421 - Mon Mar 03 2014 01:23 AM Re: Time Marches on [Re: Christinap]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Flowers and pond at the Botanical Gardens in Hamburg.

#1036648 - Tue Mar 04 2014 03:16 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

You can just see another rainbow next to the first one

Edited by satguru (Tue Mar 04 2014 03:16 PM)

UN IPCC

#1036649 - Tue Mar 04 2014 03:17 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Downtown Belleville, Ontario, about 1:30 in the afternoon, 4 March 2014 - clock tower of City Hall almost obscured by snow - only good thing, snowing means it isn't so brutally cold as it has been - still no sign of Spring....

#1036676 - Tue Mar 04 2014 05:00 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Six months ago my homeowners association had their paint crew come by to paint my house. I had to clear all the stuff out of their way on my front porch so they could paint the walls there. Well, they did something no crew has done before under the paint contract: paint my cement porch railings. I have been the one to do it (this because not all the homes have porches nor rails so my cost was only for the house proper). Off the closed end of the porch I have a lovely Bougainvillea I've grown for twenty years. While my house was closed up (storm shutters down) they decided to paint the outside of the rails where the bush was growing. They moved the bush away from the rails by inserting a plywood sheet in between and jumping against it. They severly pushed my shrub out of its shaped position and damaged roots. In the six months an Asparagus fern has grown up into the bush. They are quite thorny (both the b-villea and the A fern) I have avoided fixing it and I wanted to vent to the Assoc committee that was in charge of the painters but they never showed. Well, as time would have it and winter being a period of shrubs thriving in Florida, the Landscape committee came by and demanded that I fix it. I have been slowly pruning away the twenty years of shaping I have done on it so I can up-right it, start shaping it again (hopefully it will only take 5 years to rival its former self in shape) and dig out the fern. I have many thorn tips in my fingers, hands and gashes in my arms. But the B bush still flowers beautifully and as I admired it today, I noted this triple blossom! Bougainvillea is known for its showy bracts which here is the red part. The actual flowers are said to be inconspicuous and of no importance. They usually have a set of bracts and a single bloom, each bloom a tad tinier than the width of a pencil. This triple I had to capture on film (CMOS material) Although I hurt, there is still wonders to behold.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Mar 04 2014 05:05 PM)

#1036678 - Tue Mar 04 2014 05:05 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Took this on my walk with Susie this morning, blossom really is early this year and is looking beautiful.

#1036730 - Wed Mar 05 2014 02:29 AM Re: Time Marches on [Re: Christinap]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Stalking a pukeko at the Otipua Wetlands in Timaru a couple of weeks ago though I may have been spotted....lol

#1036789 - Wed Mar 05 2014 11:56 AM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
Blossom is not out in this part of the country yet Christina, thanks for showing that spring is on the way! smile
This was taken today in Alyn Waters country park, Wrexham.

#1036847 - Wed Mar 05 2014 05:03 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

This is what you call a pond!

UN IPCC

#1036852 - Wed Mar 05 2014 05:33 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is a typical Florida canal. The 2PM view is toward the west pointed at the northern extremity of the Everglades about 10 miles away. On a schedule they dredge the canals. Since this one was last done the property to the lower left was developed. It is a nuclear reactor to supply radiation for medical treatments. Further down the left are a business mall, a vacant lot and then a Bank. The bridge at the farthest depth of the photo is for a major thoroughfare. All along the right behind unkept water's edges are my neighbor's homes. It is a jungle! And they complain about my crooked Bougainvillea?
Anyhow, the design, installation and dredging is done in a straight line. someone must've thought giving the reactor a few extra feet of embankment into the canal was a good thing. Just past that is a southbound 20ft wide transverse canal. On that left side you can see two (what I believe to be) Muskovy ducks foraging for seeds from the grass and weed covered sand banksin the shallow water. Two Muskovys are just above them atop the embankment. And the jungle sustains lots of wildlife which I enjoy.
The canal abutting property is sometimes privately owned with easements for the Drainage District and sometimes the abutting properties are outright owned by the Water Management District. In this canal the WMD has 15' of easement rights on the left and 15' of plant and material decision rights to the lands on the right. These two bureaucracies (Water Manage and Drainage) can never seem to agree on ownership and abutter's rights. One Huckster even sold an embankment property in a valuable location that wasn't his. Took years for the Courts to vacate the sale, property and return it to the State. The Legislature then wrote a bill that deeded the land to the Management District and so the cycle continues.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Mar 05 2014 05:41 PM)

#1037040 - Thu Mar 06 2014 06:42 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The new walkway at Stanmore Common, there's a three year plan to redevelop the old heathland and also adding some routes over the mud.

UN IPCC

#1037043 - Thu Mar 06 2014 08:25 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: ren33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is the view of the same canal looking eastward a few moments later. For those who cared about my safety taking these photos, I am safely standing on a bridge. I like that the blue sky is reflected in the near glassy water surface. The Atlantic Ocean is about 5 miles straight ahead past the 2 lane bridge in the distance. On the left now are the single family houses and on the right are 2story/storey apartments/condominiums. The white pipes are for pump sucking irrigation systems, from canal to lawn and back to canal again. I'd like to borrow Jakeroo's kayak to go exploring these waters, someday maybe.

Eddition; about a decade ago there was an osprey who sat in a dead tree framework overlooking this section of canal, fishing for its diner. Then the homeowner was made to remove the tree so the deed could change hands in a realty deal. I had my telescope set up in the garage to watch him.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Mar 07 2014 11:01 AM)

#1037092 - Fri Mar 07 2014 01:22 PM Re: Time Marches on [Re: mehaul]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Pond at the Government Gardens in Rotorua with the Rotorua Museum of Art and History in the background.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy