Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1037809 - Thu Mar 13 2014 11:18 PM Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas USA
If you would like to use this thread to discuss your recent acquisitions, I think a lot would like to hear what you're collecting.

I did very well at the book fair yesterday. I got:

a volume of Aristotle including his Nicomachean Ethics and The Metaphysics

two volumes of Frederic Bastiat, the French political economist of the middle 1800s

a library of European philosophers, nearly 900 pages containing Rousseau, Descrates, Nietzsche, Pascal, Leibnitz and many others

what appears to be a 1952 edition of the Great Books, this one on mathematics and geometry, containing Euclid, Archimedes, Nicomachus, and Apollonius

a Walter Kaufmann second edition, Philosophic Classics, covering ancient and medieval philosophy

and a collection of writings from Baruch Spinoza

my last buy

a few weeks ago, I placed an order on Amazon where I purchased Hobbes' Leviathan and the disputed John Duns Scotus' De Primo Principio

#1037916 - Fri Mar 14 2014 02:34 PM Re: Recently acquired books
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
That's some serious reading material!

Book fairs....what fun; I haven't been to one for far too long.

I do appreciate the chance to patronize a library Book Store in my mother's area (about a hundred miles from where I live, but I do visit frequently). They put donated books up for sale at very attractive prices; though a collector wouldn't be pleased as they don't put first editions and such up for sale. Readers do well there, certainly. ^_^

Edited by Gheelnory (Fri Mar 14 2014 02:37 PM)

#1040442 - Thu Apr 03 2014 03:40 PM Re: Recently acquired books
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
My most recently acquired book is Mark Dunn's "Ella Minnow Pea" from a library sale. It's an epistolary novel (told in letters) about a young girl trying to restore the alphabet to her imaginary homeland.

tjoeb};>

Edited by tjoebigham (Thu Apr 03 2014 03:43 PM)

#1040585 - Fri Apr 04 2014 01:33 PM Re: Recently acquired books
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The Book Thief

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1040987 - Wed Apr 09 2014 12:13 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

The Salem Witch Hunt by Richard Godbeer

The book contains dozens of primary sources such as diary entries, affidavits, arrest warrants, and other documents relating to the trials in and around 1692.

I bought this at the library this evening. I paid $1 for it. They have a section for used books for sale.. We have a nice library and are a good sized town (100,000+) so they always have people bring stuff in. Some of it they can use and a lot of it goes in the used books for sale section.

So this book was in brand new condition. And I'm finding on eBay this book ranging from $10 to $25.

A lot of university press books or college level texts have a very small number of printings because they are mostly targeted to a niche audience such as fellow researchers and professors and grad students, so I had an impression that this book could be worth something.

But I'm such a greedy bibliophile I'd feel bad to sell it. And it's an absolutely fascinating book. It fits in well with my small history section.

#1043082 - Thu Apr 24 2014 03:36 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

I've gathered so much just in the last several weeks.

Sigmund Freud, E. Fuller Torrey, Aristotle, Izaak Walton, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Shakespeare.............................

Under my current projections, I calculate that the Apocalypse arrives before I finish all my books.

#1044204 - Thu May 01 2014 03:37 PM Re: Recently acquired books
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Just picked up The Dubliners (Joyce) and Animal Farm (Orwell), two classics which I seem to have missed out on time and time again. Finished Animal Farm in a matter of two short evenings, a thoroughly readable book, but I find it difficult to be objective in a criticism as I had already heard so much about it and had read many interpretations and critics, so I withhold my own criticism and will simply say that I'm happy to have read it.

Haven't had time to dip in to Dubliners yet, but hopefully over the next few days ...

#1044297 - Fri May 02 2014 10:25 AM Re: Recently acquired books
Abby_91 Offline
Participant

Loc: Singapore
I like memoirs and stories, so I picked up two of Bob Harris' books, Prisoner of Trebekistan and The International Bank of Bob. His style of writing is just plain witty and funny, especially about his tips on how to study quick and absorb information with visceral imagery. But he can also capture your heart with his words of wisdom and the small things he has done to help make the world a better place. So I hold these books dear smile Now to find Ken Jennings' books.

#1044307 - Fri May 02 2014 12:48 PM Re: Recently acquired books
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Welcome to the Bookworms forum, Abby.

I hadn't heard of Bob Harris until now, but to judge from the online reviews his books give us an original slant on things.

#1044349 - Fri May 02 2014 05:17 PM Re: Recently acquired books
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Yes, welcome indeed, Abby.
What I love about this forum is it saves you from that brain seizure feeling in the library.(That's if I have remembered to write down members' helpful hints to take with me!)

#1044451 - Sat May 03 2014 10:22 AM Re: Recently acquired books
Abby_91 Offline
Participant

Loc: Singapore
It does, libraries are great but can give a little bit of a seizure just being in one haha. But yeah, Bob Harris is my main recommendation for his wit and humor, especially about what he has gone through during his time on JEOPARDY!

I also just picked up another one from Ken Jennings, called Because I Said So! Where he debunks many urban myths and old wives' tales passed down to kids every generation. Funny as heck too and really informative, does a ton of research.

Edited by Abby_91 (Sat May 10 2014 10:26 AM)

#1045205 - Fri May 09 2014 03:43 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Abby_91
I does, libraries are great but can give a little bit of a seizure just being in one haha. But yeah, Bob Harris is my main recommendation for his wit and humor, especially about what he has gone through during his time on JEOPARDY!

I also just picked up another one from Ken Jennings, called Because I Said So! Where he debunks many urban myths and old wives' tales passed down to kids every generation. Funny as heck too and really informative, does a ton of research.

Very interesting. I'll shy from commenting on many of those 'myths' because they sometimes engender controversy. I will however say that the idea that going out without a coat will give you a cold is junk though. No, staying cooped up inside with people coughing and running noses makes you sick.

I like winter incidentally! May be my favorite season.

Oh, and Jeopardy has been one of my favorites since I was a kid!

#1045206 - Fri May 09 2014 03:53 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Just picked up The Dubliners (Joyce) and Animal Farm (Orwell), two classics which I seem to have missed out on time and time again. Finished Animal Farm in a matter of two short evenings, a thoroughly readable book, but I find it difficult to be objective in a criticism as I had already heard so much about it and had read many interpretations and critics, so I withhold my own criticism and will simply say that I'm happy to have read it.

Haven't had time to dip in to Dubliners yet, but hopefully over the next few days ...

Let me know how it works for you. Maybe one day I'll get to Joyce.

#1045210 - Fri May 09 2014 07:30 AM Re: Recently acquired books
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Dubliners" is definitely the most accessible Joyce, IMO.

#1071395 - Fri Oct 31 2014 02:15 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Oh, I got so many today

Descartes ~ Discourse on Method/Meditations on First Philosophy

Voltaire ~ Candide/Zadig

Pascal ~ Pensees/Provincial Letters

Oscar Wilde ~ The Picture of Dorian Gray and other stories

Dostoyevsky ~ Crime and Punishment (I now seem to own four editions of this book, I like the front covers and different editions, I will buy more.. I should say, one I threw away after drunkenly throwing up on it and another one I gave to my dad, so I have bought at least six at one time or another, and will buy more)

Jack London ~ The Call of the Wild (I now own three (?) editions of this work, I probably will buy more.. Not that I like it as much as Dostoyevsky, but it's a short story and they take up little space, and I like the cover art (which is different by edition, same as the above))

Thomas Hardy ~ The Return of the Native

Boethius ~ On the Consolation of Philosophy

C.S. Lewis ~ The Screwtape Letters

Josephus ~ The Jewish War

additionally, Ludwig von Mises, George Berkeley (which I think I have two of), Plutarch's Lives, a 1980s manual of mathematical tables and basic laws (including DiffEq, Poisson, and Fourier Analysis), and several religious texts, including biblical commentary

Oh and the best catch, an old out of print Theodor Adorno, that is selling online for as much as $320.00 and yes I am going to sell it. I paid a buck for it.

#1071614 - Sat Nov 01 2014 03:41 AM Re: Recently acquired books
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

My most recent purchase was "Le Mémento de Phonétique Anglaise." Now all I need to do is learn to pronounce English words correctly confused and re-learn how to spell them using the phonetic alphabet tongue

Edited by Santana2002 (Sat Nov 01 2014 03:49 AM)

#1071710 - Sat Nov 01 2014 06:14 PM Re: Recently acquired books
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Now all I need to do is learn to pronounce English words correctly confused and re-learn how to spell them using the phonetic alphabet tongue

So... basic Irish overlaid with fancy Breton squeezed into Received Pronunciation? You'll sound like a cross between Gwyneth Paltrow and Dick Van Dyke if you're not careful!

#1071746 - Sun Nov 02 2014 01:43 AM Re: Recently acquired books
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

De poower leetul stewdents arra gowin ter have der wuurk cut out for dem troiyin ter undershtand me, eh? grin

Edited by Santana2002 (Mon Nov 03 2014 01:25 AM)

#1071771 - Sun Nov 02 2014 05:57 AM Re: Recently acquired books
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
I just went to Budapest with an Irish friend - younger Hungarians speak perfect British English but they couldn't understand Dublin! laugh

#1071932 - Mon Nov 03 2014 12:14 AM Re: Recently acquired books
HairyBear Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I just went to Budapest with an Irish friend - younger Hungarians speak perfect British English but they couldn't understand Dublin! laugh

Who can?!?

TF22, what book by von Mises did you get?

On the subject at hand, it's been awhile since I added to my own collection; I've been reading library books and books lent to me by others for my reading material, besides numerous PDFs and on-line books. Two of my more recent acquisitions are a couple of coffee table books on the UK, one called Traveller's History of Britain and Ireland and one called Great Houses of Britain.

#1071936 - Mon Nov 03 2014 12:41 AM Re: Recently acquired books
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Liberalism

You see it marketed as Liberalism in the Classical Tradition these days but it's a 1927 work

#1103328 - Sat Jul 25 2015 05:38 PM Re: Recently acquired books
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
There was a post on this thread, I think it was baldhair, was wondering why some authors write in the present tense, when it was obviously a historical novel. In my opinion he(Robert Harris) was writing like that, because he was trying to tell a story from one of the characters' perspective. I did not find that style disruptive to my thinking, as a matter of fact, I took it to be that I was there, with them, then. But then again, I do have an active imagination.

The imagination was probably formed because I spent so much time, at the public library. Early on, I was a fan of science fiction, H.G.Wells, Jules Verne, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, all favorites of mine.

Every Saturday morning, the bus ride downtown, allegedly for swim team practice, but four hours early? No, I had the library and some used book stores in mind with the extra time.

Just three weeks ago, headed back downtown, to that same library, we've both changed over the years, for their annual used book sale. Read, read, read.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom